“Chicken shouldn't be rubbery right?”
Review of Taj Mahal

Taj Mahal
Ranked #182 of 465 Restaurants in Swindon
Cuisines: Asian, Indian, Contemporary, Bar, Cafe, Balti, Bangladeshi
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I used to spend a lot of time in Swindon on business and have been to the Taj Mahal on a number of occasions. It was always very nice and reasonably priced. This is the first time I've returned there in probably two or three years.

Things seem to have gone downhill a little bit. Overall the food was still very nice and the service was good. The place was deserted, but then again it was a Monday night. The menu prices seem to have gone up by quite a bit.

Everything was going fine until my main arrived. Chicken Tikka Jalfrezi. The chicken however had a fairly suspicious, slightly rubbery texture. Now, I'm not sure whether this was due to over or under cooking. It certainly didn't look over cooked and I didn't die the following day from Salmonella so I'm not sure what was going on, but it kind of spoiled my dinner anyway.

Then after leaving, I checked out the Food Standards Agency site and found the Taj Mahal received a 1/5 (Major Improvement Necessary) food hygiene rating back at the end of November 2013.

So, imagine my delight when I woke up this morning without food poisoning! So, there's a positive I guess. I'm not sure I'll be going back there any time soon, which is such a shame. I once ate here three times in one week a few years back. Good times.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

no atmosphere .... at 8.30 pm we were the only people there .. it is christmastime but not at all festive for a restaurant just a tree at the front lobby before you get inside.. not looking good, lovely big place with plenty of room but no one around.. my husbands starter , meat samosas had just come from the fridge the outside was cold to touch and the inside was still frozen yuk.. when another one came back it was boiling and quite tasty so was ok.. my onion bhajis were fine .. the meat biriani was very chewy and too much rice just a big mound of nothing really, why these restaurants use processed chicken all the time i dont know mine was so dry although tasted ok but monotonous.. bring back real chicken legs and brown meat that has proper flavour we pay enough for it all .. wouldnt go back.. £5 for a pint of lager and £3 for orange juice..i would rather see chefs cooking in the background these days with the smells and noise of a busy kitchen like on the television not coming out of a back room from wherever.. they need up to the minute state of the art overhaul.. and new chefs..

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Visited early on Friday evening so not busy. Service started ok but went down hill. When main course served, the Sag Rice had to be returned as cold. The serving dishes and the plates were all cold and the lamb in my dish was chewey. With so many choices for Indian food in Swindon we will not be going back.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Very Good, enjoyed it very much. Nothing was to much trouble. Food was very good, wine a little expensive but then arent they all.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Went here one saturday evening with 3 friends.
The place was almost empty but it too forever to be served.
Food was fine, but I was ready to eat my own arm by the time it arrived!