“Never again - stay away ”
Review of Taj Mahal

Taj Mahal
Ranked #210 of 457 Restaurants in Swindon
Cuisines: Asian, Indian, Contemporary, Bar, Cafe, Balti, Bangladeshi
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

We visited this place this evening with some friends we had visiting from Malaysia. The restaurant was half empty, yet we were given a table for 6 right at the back of the restaurant. I said I didn't like the table and the waiter said he'd pull it away from the wall a little.

We looked at the menu. Way too many dishes. And as I run my own Indian catering company, I certainly know my food. I asked a question about the Prawn puri to the waiter in English (who incidentally was dressed as an Indian groom - don't ask) and he said he couldn't understand me. So I asked which language he spoke. Punjabi? Hindi? He shook his head and said no I speak English. Seriously?

We ordered the food. Our prawn puri was the worst I have ever had. The prawns were tiny pieces of rubber. They must have been microwaved as only that could have made them that way. The rest of the food we ordered was the same. Cheap rubbery fatty meat, curry out of jar. Or worse. Uncooked tinned tomatoes floating around.

I was really embarrassed I'd taken friends there. Guess you always have to try things once. If only never to try them again!

1  Thank BKS001

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Tasty curry at good price located where you just want and need it!

The service was prompt and friendly. The meal was lovely had the classic lamb balti with pilau rice and absolutely enjoyed my meal.

Restaurant ambiance was good and very clean.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I used to spend a lot of time in Swindon on business and have been to the Taj Mahal on a number of occasions. It was always very nice and reasonably priced. This is the first time I've returned there in probably two or three years.

Things seem to have gone downhill a little bit. Overall the food was still very nice and the service was good. The place was deserted, but then again it was a Monday night. The menu prices seem to have gone up by quite a bit.

Everything was going fine until my main arrived. Chicken Tikka Jalfrezi. The chicken however had a fairly suspicious, slightly rubbery texture. Now, I'm not sure whether this was due to over or under cooking. It certainly didn't look over cooked and I didn't die the following day from Salmonella so I'm not sure what was going on, but it kind of spoiled my dinner anyway.

Then after leaving, I checked out the Food Standards Agency site and found the Taj Mahal received a 1/5 (Major Improvement Necessary) food hygiene rating back at the end of November 2013.

So, imagine my delight when I woke up this morning without food poisoning! So, there's a positive I guess. I'm not sure I'll be going back there any time soon, which is such a shame. I once ate here three times in one week a few years back. Good times.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

no atmosphere .... at 8.30 pm we were the only people there .. it is christmastime but not at all festive for a restaurant just a tree at the front lobby before you get inside.. not looking good, lovely big place with plenty of room but no one around.. my husbands starter , meat samosas had just come from the fridge the outside was cold to touch and the inside was still frozen yuk.. when another one came back it was boiling and quite tasty so was ok.. my onion bhajis were fine .. the meat biriani was very chewy and too much rice just a big mound of nothing really, why these restaurants use processed chicken all the time i dont know mine was so dry although tasted ok but monotonous.. bring back real chicken legs and brown meat that has proper flavour we pay enough for it all .. wouldnt go back.. £5 for a pint of lager and £3 for orange juice..i would rather see chefs cooking in the background these days with the smells and noise of a busy kitchen like on the television not coming out of a back room from wherever.. they need up to the minute state of the art overhaul.. and new chefs..

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Visited early on Friday evening so not busy. Service started ok but went down hill. When main course served, the Sag Rice had to be returned as cold. The serving dishes and the plates were all cold and the lamb in my dish was chewey. With so many choices for Indian food in Swindon we will not be going back.