“Lovely in the sun, just dont look too close”
Review of Tawny Owl

Tawny Owl
Ranked #13 of 44 Swindon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 May 2013 via mobile

Chose to stop here today whilst out on a bike ride with hubby and kids. After parking up our bikes, I went inside to order. It is very dark inside and not somewhere I would fancy sitting to eat. After being ignores at the bar for about 5 minutes I was finally served. A pint of cider, half a pint of cider and a coke - £9. The park outside is in need of a repaint and general over haul. There were people smoking everywhere outside, including the park. The water wheel stream is filled with rubbish. Looks lovely in the sun, just don't look to close.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank MadHatCat

Reviewed 21 April 2013

My husband, young daughter and myself went for an evening meal on a Sunday and left feeling totally disappointed. The food order took 25 minutes to be served to us, my husbands roast beef was the worst he had eaten in years, was as tough as old boots! The vegetables were over cooked, the broccoli looked as if it was going off and my ham hock was mostly a fatty salty mess. Just to add to the experience, we had a very loud party of people sitting just across from us near the bar swearing and loving the sound of their own voices, nice.
We have been here probably three times before to eat and the food has been ok but the service has always been shockingly slow, we will not be returning again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank pgirrel
Reviewed 21 March 2013

It's such a shame that what could be a great wee local pub/restaurant is totally ruined by it's landlord.
Our firms xmas party/drinks get together which had been a great friendly get together with much money going over the bar was totally spoilt when the landlord gave the order not to serve any more drinks to our party at around 7-8pm,with the feeble excuse that someone had been sick on the gents floor,this could have been anyone in the crowded pub,but he had obviously decided that we'd had our fun and it was now time for us to go,[just a coincidence that the disco entertainment was about to begin for the locals],he even called in several bouncers to make sure we left the premises quietly[totally o.t.t],turfed out into the freezing december air feeling like common drunks.
Have since heard of many similar experiences by a lot of local people.
Such a shame,would love to use this pub as my local,nice food,outdoor area for kids,very good sporting coverage on the many tv screens and a decent if not a little bit expensive drinks menu.
But until Arkells get rid of this landlord my money and many of my family and friends will go elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank scaffolder1888
Reviewed 3 March 2013 via mobile

Went for food And drinks only, drinks are not cheap however the food is good value and absolutely brilliant.

Staff are always happy and great service, this is one of the best pubs around. Entertainment put on like quizzes on a Thursday. Great atmosphere

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank PMcGregsy
Reviewed 13 December 2012

its a great place to stay breakfast was really good enough to keep you going all day rooms were clean and bright and everything you needed was there also plenty of nooks and crannies in the bar to have a pleasent drink we will be booking again thanks a lot to all
mr and mrs a clarke
barrow-in-furness

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Was unsure about this after reading some negative reviews. BUT it really is excellent I paid £ 45 for a double room (single occupancy) – room quality really is good – large comfortable bed and loads of hot water. Food was excellent – I had a mixed grill which was huge and very tasty (No tinned mushrooms here) at £15 I thought it was pretty good value. The breakfast was equally huge and has fresh, tasty produce. Loads of parking, good customer care – can’t find anything to complain about.

Room Tip: Ask for room 1
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 December 2012

Sadly disappointed that we booked at the Tawny Owl, the website gave the impression it was a nice pub/restaurant with some character, however when we were seated we found that we were in a soulless plain function room next to the bar which was also hosting a the Manchester City V Manchester United game with approximately 20 men seated around the large screen TV. Every time something happened during the game there was very loud uproars full of f words etc... I did not expect this while we were trying to have a pleasant family meal - When I was booking my table the staff should have advised that they were showing the game at the pub and to expect this sort of environment.

The Sunday Roasts were average, badly presented vegetables arriving all mixed together in what looked like a trough on our table, the Brussels sprouts were severely undercooked and unpleasant,

There were some positives, my brother appeared to like the steak he ordered, but not the sauce which was removed from the bill, The waiting staff were almost faultless, very pleasant and attentive.

After this experience, I wouldn't return for another family meal at the Tawny Owl.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family