“Nice Stay”

Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Gurgaon
“Nice Stay”
Reviewed 21 August 2011

The Hotel is located at a quite place and has ample parking. The staff is very courteous and helpfull. I arrived early morning in London and had to attend a meeting. They allowed me Shower and locker facility free of charge for me to freshen up and be ready for morning meeting. Upon my return in the evening the check-in was very smooth even if there were 20 guests lined up for checkin. The hotel room was cozy though small in size.

The morning breakfast was elaborate and the service was very good. I would recommend this hotel to people travelling to Swindon.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Bedfordshire
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Stayed at the Holiday inn the night of the 5th August.

Check in was quick and easy and staff were helpful. Even went out of their way to provide us with extra information on the Steam rally at South Cerney.

Our room was on the ground floor, looking into the swimming pool.

Room was clean as was the bathroom.

For lunch we ate from the bar menu, food was provided quickly and was great value for money. Staff were again, extremely helpful.

We made use of the pool, sauna and jacuzzi, All was clean and tidy. We didn’t make use of the gym but that looked good too.

After we planned on having a pint outside on the patio, but what we hadn’t been told upon checking in was that this was reserved for a private BBQ, no great deal but it would have been nice to have been informed.

Evening Meal was Ok, One of the party had soup which arrived cold, and it appeared quite a lot of food was going back to the kitchen that night. Staff wasn’t apologetic about the situation either. Value for money in the restaurant isn’t great.

TV reception is OK, Most of the channels from freeview can be found here.

Breakfast is OK, Could be better, food took quite a while to be topped up, there is a good variety of juices on offer as well as your coffee, tea etc.

Overall, the hotel was good value for money and I would go back here, although I would go out for dinner.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Have stayed here 4/5 times in the last year as our son moved to Chippenham and we live in Surrey. I agree with earlier reports of visitors being palmed off with poor 2nd floor rooms when hotel is less than half full - reason for this is it makes it less work for cleaning staff . They have also recently let go some very good and knowledgeable staff and those that are left are new and not that well clued up. Twice we have booked and paid via the internet then been charged an end of stay supplement as 'under paid'. The new TV system is poor our Movies channel did'nt work ("but you should have rebooted it they said"), top of shower curtain had dry blood on the top part of curtain, low water pressure on shower despite 2 settings and due to low numbers breakfasts (weekend of 31/7) were call order and my scrambled eggs, tomatoes and baked beans arrived cold. Only 3 containers of milk each morning but reception were happy to provide more when asked. Only saving grace is Flo in the dining room who is a real gem. Also overheard a regional manager in the garden on the Monday morning slagging of two other locations , one is Sutton in Surrey so don't go there either. For information we were in room 240 after requesting a move from 222 which is the one by the main door onto first floor from stairs.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank filby7

Travellers are raving about these Swindon hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Like others we were offered the room next to the generator on the second floor - unfortunately due to several coach parties staying there were no other family or connecting rooms available....so we had to make the best of a room where the wall behind the bed vibrated with the noise (not the sort of thrill we were looking for!)

The spa was out of order the entire weekend, as were the movie channels.

By Sunday morning the pool was distinctly murky and the open fire door was accessed by a number of people who may or may not have been residents. A quick look at the register in reception showed that not everyone had signed in...

The pity is with some refurbishment this hotel could be OK (some of the staff were lovely).

Room Tip: Not 221,223
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Tobs66
Brisbane
Reviewed 18 May 2011

When I arrived I was greeted warmly.
I immediately asked about in room internet access, I was told it is high speed cable and £15.00 per session, I must have had a look of shock on my face, as the lady added - yes I know it's very expensive. I politely declined, - Went to my room which was dated but clean and comfortable, dropped off my luggage. Jumped back into my car and found the local pub, Had a pint, good meal with free wifi for less than Holiday Inn charge, just for internet. OK to stay for leisure but business travellers should avoid this hotel.
Why is it that pubs, most cafes and even backpacker hostels provide free internet, and these hotels try to rip you off ?
Went to breakfast in morning - it was not included in my room rate.
I advised the attendant that I want the continental buffet as all I needed was some toast and tea, - This is not available - you must purchase the entire hot and cold buffet for £13.00 Tea and Toast not an option. As I checked out without breakfast, the receptionist asked if I had had breakfast, I said no and explained the reason. She said she would give me a discount voucher to use ?? Why was this not offered when I checked in or at the restaurant ?? Again I took by business elsewhere - I will not return.

Room Tip: Very expensive internet.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank dingo_joe
Leicester - UK
Reviewed 4 May 2011

The great thing about the Holiday Inn group is the ability to use reward points to pay for stays. The down side is that sometimes you have to jump through some hoops to book a stay - specifically unless you are using the same rate detail for all nights of a stay you have to make more than one reservation. With my 3 night stay that meant 3 bookings, one I paid for, another was free and the third was part points part cash. This meant checking out and in again each morning. The pain was that the provisional bill posted under your door each morning was wrong 2 out of 3 times with the cost of the stay being included when it should not have been.

The hotel itself is in a very convenient location between Swindon and the motorway and has good safe parking. Reception is pleasant but too often is unattended so you may wait several minutes to be seen. The rooms are clean and spacious, nothing extravagant but have a choice of pillow which is always welcome. The bath rooms are compact but adequate but the TV provision is rather limited in comparisson to many similar chains. Some flat screens and freeview options would be good.

The hotel used to be a Post House. I know that because the yellow pages in the drawer still shows the entry for the Post House - well in 2001/2 that was probably right but I'd have expected a new yellpw pages by now. Shows a little more attention to detail wouldnt go amiss.

In summary the stay was OK, problems got sorted but in common with many Holiday Inns the drinks and food are relatively higher in price than elsewhere but as there isnt much within an easy walk you are a little limited.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Peter_Bromley
swansea.wales
Reviewed 28 April 2011

we stayed at this hotel on the 22/04/2011
PRO'S
paid £36 for our room with fully english breakfast for the 3 of us .less than half the price of the nearby holiday inn express's
room very large on the second floor of the hotel(hotel only has 2 floors)
nice reception area with bar and nice restaurant.
room has tea and coffee making facilities, an old type t.v with plenty of channels
new refurbished bathroom with a major gripe (see cons)
full english breakfast outstanding and staff on breakfast duty's very very good
very nice pool with jacuzzi and also a very hot steam room
location very quiet even though there is no double glazing and there is a petrol station about 30 meters infront of you
staff very friendly and helpfull
CON'S
water pressure very poor for a shower and bath would have taken me about 30 minutes to fill the bath up with hot water.
fold out bed mattress to thin you can feel every metal rod on the sofa bed in places
locks on the room door very loud closing can't do much about it
i would stay here again as the staff and hotel are very good and if you can get it for the price i paid via the hotels website then an absolute steal.many thanks to all the staff THE DAVIES FAMILY

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple