This hotel offers the best in 1970s modern architecture and facilities! OK, that's a bit harsh, but pulling up to it for the first time that's certainly what I thought.
The hotel was very busy when I arrived. The bar area was crammed full and a TV was showing a football match at full volume. Not something that endeared me to it. Corridors have very awkward, heavily sprung double doors along the corridor making it impossible to wheel a suitcase without someone to help you. They really need to replace these with modern single fire doors with electromagnetic releases.
The room was clean, modern and spacious. A small fridge was a nice touch: meant I could by drinks in Tesco and have them chilled without paying overinflated bar prices. Holiday Inn also have a choice of 'soft' and 'firm' pillows (and I think you can have feather if you ask)
The restaurant was 'typical' hotel fayre: lasagne, pasta, pizza, burgers etc. Steaks are available on the grill menu, but these are expensive for what you get.
One tip, however, is to ask reception for one of the restaurant vouchers. £15 for one course and a drink, £30 for 2 courses and 2 drinks, or £25 for 3 courses and 3 drinks. The good thing about this is that the total amount shows on your bill as a restaurant meal, so if you're on business and the boss doesn't allow you to claim for drinks, he'll never know!
Internet access is quite expensive (I took the £30 for 3 days option). Speed was limited to 1Mb/s per connection, but it's adequate for most purposes.
Reception seemed to be understaffed: once I was waiting 20 mins, and I was the only other person in the queue. There was often long queues in the morning to check out.
It's an 'OK' hotel, but I'll only use it again if nothing better is available.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Hotel in Swindon is located minutes from Junction 15 of the M4 but within easy reach of Swindon Town Centre with ample free ample free parking. Easy access to the cities of Bath, Bristol and Oxford and 1 Hr from London Heathrow. The hotel has 99 well appointed bedrooms which include 10 Executive rooms. All rooms have en suite bathrooms with shower, direct dial telephone, tea and coffee making facilities, hairdryer and iron and ironing board. Residents can enjoy and unwind with complimentary use of the Spirit leisure club with gymnasium, indoor pool, jacuzzi, sauna and treatment room (subject to availability). Our hotel bar and lounge offer tempting dishes from around the world and is a great meeting destination, a relaxing garden terrace can also be enjoyed at the hotel along with the lounge showing all Sky sports channels also ESPN on a 50inch plasma TV. Our contemporary restaurant is a great place to relax and enjoy our menus including the famous Holiday Inn breakfast. Hotel offers 24hr room service also. Under 12's stay and eat free when sharing a room with their parents* Terms and conditions apply. Swindon town centre is within 3 miles driving from the hotel, also the Swindon train station and McArthur Glen Designer Outlet Village. The hotel is ideally located for exploring Wiltshire's surrounding attractions, including Lydiard Park, the Royal Wooton Bassett, the Cotwolds, Avebury Stone Circle & Stonehenge, Longleat Forest and the Steam Railway Museum or for catching a game at Swindon Town Football Club in the town centre. Academy Style Meeting Rooms, 5 purpose built meeting rooms that cater for all requirements from Training Courses, Boardroom Meetings and Conferences to Weddings and Parties including Christmas Parties.Our Academy standard meeting facilities with natural daylight and air conditioning can accommodate up to 70 delegates. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, IHG, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Cancelon, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Swindon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Swindon Hotel Swindon
- Swindon Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Swindon Wiltshire