“Great staff but some rooms stuck in the 1970's”

Holiday Inn Swindon
Ranked #18 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I stayed here through work due to an early start in Swindon the following day.

Positives. The reception and restaurant staff were excellent, very friendly and couldn't be more helpful. I only had breakfast and the full English was very good and well above the standard you normally expect in such hotel chains. It actually looked fresh, was well presented and hadn't been sweating under heat lamps for an eternity!

Negatives. The hotel was apparently built in the early 1970's and the original room I was allocated on the first floor (210 I think) didn't look like it had been refurbished since then other than a lick of paint and the usual LCD TV. Rusty window frames, curtains missing their hooks and formica furniture tops completed the retro look along with the woodgrain finish Corby trouser press. The bathroom was as original and very tired, and the central heating made all sorts of banging noises leading me to request a room change in the early hours of the morning. I was then given a room on the ground floor which was typically how you would expect a Holiday Inn room to look in 2012. I think, however, this was classed as some sort of executive room. The management were very apologetic to be fair and explained that there were refurbishment works programmed (although none seen), but perhaps about 30 years too late for the older rooms!

If you get offered a room in the 2** series, be very wary unless you are staying for a 1970's reunion and want to get in the theme!

Room Tip: Avoid the 2** numbered rooms as desperately overdue a refurbishment.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
helen n, Reservations Manager at Holiday Inn Swindon, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for kindly taking the time to write your review on the Holiday Inn Swindon.

We would like to thank you for your kind comments about the staff here at the hotel its great for the staff to hear and as you can imagine is a fantastic motivator for the staff, and also thank you for your comments on breakfast here. We aim to provide the highest standard and service we can and your comments are much appreciated.

With regards to the maintainance and condition of the hotel we work very hard to keep the building maintained to the highest standard possible we are currently within the company process of parts of the hotel refurbished and modernised.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and your comments will be passed onto the staff.

Kind Regards
Helen Norcup
Reservations Manager

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Swindon

Reviewed 12 March 2012

We booked this hotel using Priority Club points and were very pleasantly surprised . We received a warm welcome when we checked in and were thanked for choosing Holiday Inn.The rooms were not huge but very comfortable. Everything was very clean, including the pool.The breakfast buffet was well stocked and looked fresh. At night we ate dinner across the dual carriageway at the Sun Inn. They have a very good selection of homecooked food and it has a good atmosphere. We visited Malmsbury,Lacock and Castle Combe and the hotel is very well placed for reaching everywhere quickly. We had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
helen n, Reservations Manager at Holiday Inn Swindon, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Swindon.

It is fantastic to hear you enjoyed your break here with us at the hotel on your priority club reward points its a great reward benefit for people using the brand.

It is uplifting for all the staff to hear positive comments about the hotel and also that guests have enjoyed their experience here with us.

Thank you for your comment and we look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Kind Regards

Helen Norcup
Reservations Manager

Reviewed 6 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel this weekend.We were greeted at reception by a very friendly man who made us feel extremely welcome and was very helpful. Our room was very very small with the bed against the wall and only one bedside table.We had to move the bed across so that we could get in it. There was hardly any walking area at all.The room we stayed in was 256 so avoid this one if possible. The room was also very hot and we couldnt get the thermostat to cool it down so slept with the window open which meant we could hear traffic from outside..The bathroom was in need of renovation and had rust around the plug hole and the shower-head had seen much better days. The bath was also scratched and was well past its best..There is no free WiFi at this hotel and for 24 hours the cost is 15 pounds or 28 if you want movies as well. We found this a bit of a rip off as many hotels now offer free internet access in the price of the room.
We had breakfast both mornings and could not fault anything. The staff were once again friendly and informative and live up to service with a smile. The staff at this hotel are most definitely the biggest asset. The breakfast was well cooked and there was plenty of choice. As we used reward points for this stay we had to pay for breakfast but found at 8.95 per head it was very reasonable.We didnt use the swimming pool facilities as the hotel had a coach load of kids on a rugby weekend and the pool was heaving.We also did not eat in the restaurant for this reason as the noise was like being at a youth club and not conducive to a relaxing meal for 2. We found a few nice pubs in the area and ate out instead although the menu at the holiday inn did look and smell quite nice.Parking was plentiful and had no issues with this.
I have stayed at many holiday inns and the room in this one was the worst i have ever stayed in although we did see other rooms that were larger and looked much better.
I have tried to give an honest overview on this hotel and really feel that the hotel lets the staff down as the staff are better than a lot of 5 star hotels i have stayed in. I would stay at this hotel again in one of the better rooms just based on the staff alone.

Room Tip: Avoid room 256
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Swindon, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

jeanettetye,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the very good! Whilst I am pleased with the good and the really good comments, I truly value the bad comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we already do. We will address these points and I hope that when you return you will see the improvements that have been made.
Thank you again for your review.

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed 3 March 2012

Pulling into the car park the hotel looks very old and jaded. I was not expecting much better when I got in. However, check in was fast and efficient and my executive room, whilst not the biggest ever was modern, spotlessly clean and very comfortable with good furnishings. The bathroom was clean and well maintained but very small with a stupid small bath that seems to be the case in many older Holiday Inns. Dinner was a miserable affair! The chef seemed to be everywhere in the building but in the kitchen. When I checked in he was in reception, later behind the bar and spent far too much time in the restaurant during dinner. I can't help but think that if he actually spent more time in the kitchen the food could be so much better. After all, this is standard ready prepared, Holiday Inn food. He hadn't just created some culinary masterpiece and needed to parade himself about! There were complaints from many of my fellow diners in the restaurant. In the middle of dinner a coach party arrived and peace and quiet turned in to mayhem. I actually felt very sorry for the Operations Manager, who was doing a great job handling all the many complains she was getting through no fault of her own. All in all, a pleasant overnight stay but if I was to return I would avoid the food. As I am writing this in my room it's now 11.45 and I have just received a call from reception to remind me that I have to check out by 12 noon. Nothing says you have overstayed your welcome better than a phone call like that! I think I have just changed my mind about saying I would return here!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Food (dinner) was of avery poor quality and hellishly expensive for extremely small portions. Certainly not imaginitive nor inspiring. At least three person (not connected) complained about standard of food. Breakfast was below average for a Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: To rear of hotel ground floor
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Swindon, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

Dear Champaigncharlie,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced. I was disappointed to read that you had a poor experience when you visited the restaurant, we will review for possible modifications so to better accommodate our guest in the future. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Brenda J.
IHGCare

Reviewed 6 February 2012

I stayed in the hotel for one night 5th February 2012. I am a group leisure club member and therefore I received a discounted room. The room was small, with old fittings that had definately seen better days - the bathroom, did look quite grimey, with the faded fitting a marked bath. I am unsure if this is par for the course or simply the ype of room given to those paying the discounted rate. The room above me appeared to have a leaking shower and the drip drip drip into the bath kept me awake most of the night. Charges for WiFi at £6 for one hour I felt was unreasonable and unlikely to make me wamnt to stay again. Great friendly and helpful staff though. Overall I wouldn't stay again unfortunately.

Room Tip: Dont stay in room 153
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Brian R
Reviewed 30 January 2012

All areas smell of smoke, the door didn't lock, the air con didn't work, the bathroom lights didn't work, this was enough to make me check out early.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business