I stayed here through work due to an early start in Swindon the following day.
Positives. The reception and restaurant staff were excellent, very friendly and couldn't be more helpful. I only had breakfast and the full English was very good and well above the standard you normally expect in such hotel chains. It actually looked fresh, was well presented and hadn't been sweating under heat lamps for an eternity!
Negatives. The hotel was apparently built in the early 1970's and the original room I was allocated on the first floor (210 I think) didn't look like it had been refurbished since then other than a lick of paint and the usual LCD TV. Rusty window frames, curtains missing their hooks and formica furniture tops completed the retro look along with the woodgrain finish Corby trouser press. The bathroom was as original and very tired, and the central heating made all sorts of banging noises leading me to request a room change in the early hours of the morning. I was then given a room on the ground floor which was typically how you would expect a Holiday Inn room to look in 2012. I think, however, this was classed as some sort of executive room. The management were very apologetic to be fair and explained that there were refurbishment works programmed (although none seen), but perhaps about 30 years too late for the older rooms!
If you get offered a room in the 2** series, be very wary unless you are staying for a 1970's reunion and want to get in the theme!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Hotel in Swindon is located minutes from Junction 15 of the M4 but within easy reach of Swindon Town Centre with ample free ample free parking. Easy access to the cities of Bath, Bristol and Oxford and 1 Hr from London Heathrow. The hotel has 99 well appointed bedrooms which include 10 Executive rooms. All rooms have en suite bathrooms with shower, direct dial telephone, tea and coffee making facilities, hairdryer and iron and ironing board. Residents can enjoy and unwind with complimentary use of the Spirit leisure club with gymnasium, indoor pool, jacuzzi, sauna and treatment room (subject to availability). Our hotel bar and lounge offer tempting dishes from around the world and is a great meeting destination, a relaxing garden terrace can also be enjoyed at the hotel along with the lounge showing all Sky sports channels also ESPN on a 50inch plasma TV. Our contemporary restaurant is a great place to relax and enjoy our menus including the famous Holiday Inn breakfast. Hotel offers 24hr room service also. Under 12's stay and eat free when sharing a room with their parents* Terms and conditions apply. Swindon town centre is within 3 miles driving from the hotel, also the Swindon train station and McArthur Glen Designer Outlet Village. The hotel is ideally located for exploring Wiltshire's surrounding attractions, including Lydiard Park, the Royal Wooton Bassett, the Cotwolds, Avebury Stone Circle & Stonehenge, Longleat Forest and the Steam Railway Museum or for catching a game at Swindon Town Football Club in the town centre. Academy Style Meeting Rooms, 5 purpose built meeting rooms that cater for all requirements from Training Courses, Boardroom Meetings and Conferences to Weddings and Parties including Christmas Parties.Our Academy standard meeting facilities with natural daylight and air conditioning can accommodate up to 70 delegates. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Holiday Inn Swindon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Swindon Hotel Swindon
- Swindon Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Swindon Wiltshire