“Hotel is genuinely falling apart - you need to get a cheap deal”

Holiday Inn Swindon
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Swindon
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Hotel is genuinely falling apart - you need to get a cheap deal”
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

The hotel rooms are, quite simply, desperate for a re-fit. The furniture is shabby, the bathrooms tired and the windows - being single glazed and loose in their frames - very leaky and drafty. The air con unit squeaked, there was no mini bar, and only 1 person could stand in the bathroom at a time (no good when you have kids).

While 4 beds were made up on arrival, we only had 3 towels and 3 mugs. A call to housekeeping sorted this out, but come the second day the maid did the same thing. How can you make 4 beds and then only leave 3 sets of towels? Madness.

Unfortunately, things weren't much better in the restaurant. Dinner was average - small portions, greasy Hunters Chicken - and all served by a bunch of trainees, one of which put their thumb in my dinner when they put it down on the table. Breakfast was tasty, but the hot spread ran out on the second morning, leaving the trainees to run around apologising.

The pool and changing area were clean, reception staff were pleasant enough and the hotel is convenient for the M4 (but the Holiday Inn Express and Hilton at J16 are even closer, and have an easier journey into Swindon centre!), but these good points are not enough to save this place.

We stayed on an incredibly cheap deal, through Superbreak, and, having read previous reviews, knew what we were getting. However, I have to wonder if Holiday Inn understand what they're doing to their brand keeping a place like this going. If you paid full price for a room here you would be beyond disappointed.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Tom G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Swindon, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Bored-Commuter1

Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Swindon,

We are sincerely sorry that your experience with us was not up to the usual high standards, it is important to us to give our guests the best Hotel experience and if this was not met then we can promise that this will be looked into.
If you do wish to contact myself at the Hotel and discuss this matter further then please don’t hesitate and I will be more then happy to discuss this with you.
Hopefully we look forward to seeing you soon.

tom.gaskell@ihg.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Anlaby
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I stayed here for two nights whilst attending a training course nearby. My room was clean, functional and adequate. I ate in the restaurant on my first night and my first impression was that it looked a bit like a motorway service station and was in need of a refurb'. I was greeted and seated by Luke who was very pleasant and took my drink and food order promptly. Because of my visual impression of the restaurant, my expectations of the food were lowered somewhat. However the food was excellent and portions were ample. My dessert order was taken by Amey who was very pleasant and happy to engage in conversation. I don't 'do' breakfast so can't comment on this.
For me, good measures of a hotel are how full it is and, by listening to greetings on reception, how many guests are regulars. This hotel was very busy and it was clear that many guests were well known to reception staff.
In summary, the hotel is clearly popular, has great staff, serves good food, is clean and represents value for money, however it could do with a refurb'. If my employer booked me in here again, I wouldn't be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear kcyland,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Holiday Inn Swindon.
We are so glad to hear you had a pleasant stay with us and that all the team members looked after you during your stay. We are always grateful to guests for relaying their thoughts back to us so we are able to continue on giving great service and improving on all areas of the hotel.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Hello to everyone and to all @ Trip. I stayed here last week on Monday. After the first shift at The Great Western. No reservation done earlier. It was last minute. I trawled Swindon town for B & B's for a night, but no luck. All were booked. So I walked into HI on Marlborough rd. A kind lady called Naomi did a quick check in. Thank you very much. The cost of the room was exorbitant for a single night for a single person. But I presume thats what happens during last minute. The room was super comfortable with a large bed. There's a swanky bar and restaurant. Didn't use them. I just wanted to sleep. And it was a good sleep. There's a gym, spa and pool. Didn't use them either. I had to scoot early to the hospital so skipped breakfast. To summarise, it is a good clean hotel and same for the rooms. The radiator wasn't working but it was not that cold inside the room. And it is 5 minutes drive to The Great Western. There is a Texaco garage outside the hotel where you will get all provisions 24/7. The room rate is expensive. I don't know if it would have been cheaper, had I done the booking earlier. Pics attached.

Room Tip: Please book in advance to get cheaper rates.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Tom G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Swindon, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Ravikumar

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Holiday Inn Swindon.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel on Saturday night just gone and the facilities were fantastic. The pool was clean and all the staff in the hotel could not have been more friendly and welcoming. My son left a cuddly toy and his watch and they arranged to send them back by recorded delivery immediately. Would definitely stop there again!

Alison, staying with Husband and 8 year old son together with friends

Room Tip: We used a family room which was well proportioned and clean
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Tom G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Swindon, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Alison R

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for the Holiday Inn Swindon.
I would like to say thank you for your kind comments, I am so glad the team were able to make your stay special and we were able to meet your every need.
I will be sure to relay your comments back to the team.
We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

port talbot
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on business conference.
Lovely reception area, very helpful staff. Room was a lot better than expected after reading reviews on here. Bed very comfortable, good range of pillows.
Breakfast very good, good range of cooked and continental. Staff very helpful.
Biggest drawback is the poor wifi arrangement, very very poor.
Having stayed at the hilton recently have to say the position of this hotel is not as good as that as although just as close to m4 getting into town or the great western center is a lot more hassle.
Would stay again but would prefer to stay somewhere with better access to the town.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Tom G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Swindon, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear bulldog19,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Swindon,
All Guest comments are important to us and we will take everything you said on board.
I will relay your kind comments about the staff back to the team.
Thank you again for using the Holiday Inn Swindon and we look forward to seeing you in the near Future.

Market Deeping, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

Very average and tardy looking hotel. They charge ridiculous prices for wifi which these days is a major negative for me as a business customer. For the standard room rates they charge wifi should not be a chargeable extra. They had completely run out of chicken on the menu in the evening!
Breakfast was OK and the staff who were on duty were very friendly and helpful. Plenty of other choice in Swindon providing better value for money

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Jamie O,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your review is vital for improving the service and quality we offer to our valued guest. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge or give points for improvement. I hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future. Thank you once again for your valuable comment, and if you might have any suggestions that will contribute to enhancing your stay, please do not hesitate to contact us.