“Perfect - from start to finish”
Review of The Brewers Arms

The Brewers Arms
Ranked #165 of 449 Restaurants in Swindon
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Perfect - from start to finish”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My partner and I had a very romantic dinner on Valentines day. The restaurant made a lot of effort to decorate the restaurant tastefully, white balloons, candles and crystals on each table etc, it looked beautiful.

The service was excellent, smiley, very pleasant attentive waiting staff that cleared and served each course at the exact right times.

Food was fantastic, we had the King Prawn Cocktail and a Baked Stuffed Mushroom dish for starter, the prawn dish arrived looking really fresh, loaded with tasty prawns and really fresh crisp salad. The baked mushroom seemed to have come straight out of the oven and was really, really good. Main courses consisted of a Loin of Lamb and a Stuffed Chicken dish with a yummy sauce, both came out really hot and completely spot on, our plates were clean. We shared a pudd, excellent again. We had steaming hot good quality coffee on the sofa area that's located in the restaurant.

We felt the whole establishment is very well run, you could tell the kitchen was run like clockwork, no food waiting around getting cold etc, the kitchen and waiting staff seemingly work really well as a team.

Another fantastic touch was that each lady received a white rose, I think the owner/manager brought it over, again a very pleasant welcoming individual.

We can't fault this place, they clearly made an effort to create a special evening and they succeeded. We will certainly return and look forward to it already!

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank DirecttheSail

Wiltshire
“Let down by extremely poor service”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

The Brewers Arms is a favourite in Swindon; it is one of our better places to eat. It offers a very good menu selection at a standard that is higher than most in the local area and is sophisticatedly furnished, resulting in a very nice atmosphere and ambience in which to dine. There are daily food specials which again are of a high standard for the local area. This ought, therefore, to be an excellent review but I am just unable to produce that due to poor service on the last three occasions I have visited. There never seems to be any more than two members of staff on duty in the restaurant which means that when it gets more than half full they can't cope with the workload. I have had to wait over an hour for food to be served, over ten minutes just to be seated and on the most recent occasion we left our table in disgust and walked out of the restaurant having waited 20 minutes for drinks! I had a view of the bar all the time we were seated and it was empty; there was no excuse whatsoever for a delay that long. We told the staff member closest to the bar that we were leaving and he gave us a knowing look as if to say "Yes I know" but didn't apologise. This is extremely disappointing and will put us off from visiting the Brewers again until I hear that they have addressed this problem. Friends have told similar tales so I know that we're not alone in our experience. The Brewers Arms has the capacity to really shine with just a few tweaks to the service offering - if the owners are reading this: PLEASE sort out your service issues!!!

Visited February 2012
1 Thank swimnut597
Swindon, Wiltshire
“Great Food”
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Nice Garden in the summer, excellent food, but when busy the service is not good.

Highworth, United Kingdom
“Too many customers, too few staff?”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

We had an 8.15 booking - three of us were given a table slotted into the corner of two bench seats (two on benches plus one chair) - felt odd, too close to others and nothing like the attractive layouts online but the place was heaving so no choice. Drinks immediately, then nothing until we got up and asked for a menu 30 mins later. After 45 mins we were offered more drinks - we asked if we could please have the starter which was just bread after all (nearly £4!) - got it after 9pm. The mains arrived at 9.30pm and have to say they were delicious but we were starving by then and reckon most things would have tasted great!!
But the argument at the next table left a bad taste - customer had probs with an inedible steak. The Manageress (I think) argued the toss/discussed the issue at full volume for ages disturbing everyone close by. Basic message 'our policy is that we don't deduct money off bills'. Don't know the outcome but I wouldn't fancy having to complain.
My friends loved their creme brulees but my 'strawberry cheesecake with crumbly meringue topping' was disappointing and I left some. The discription was identical to the one served in Prezzo's (hurray!) - but this was stodgy and the meringue was a spiral on the side that looked bought in. Shame. Coffee tasty but v small cups. Sofas great idea but we had to wait until they were free - then we realised the problem - huge parties of people in the next section. Way too many people booked in for the number of staff/size of kitchen. So unless you don't mind a long wait, don't go on a Friday or Saturday or go early to get ahead of the others ...

• Visited January 2012