“DISGRACEFUL !!!”
Review of Chiseldon House

Chiseldon House
Ranked #18 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Me and my partner booked a night at your hotel, upon arrival we were not given any information regarding dinner times and breakfast times, but within two minutes we did receive a phone call to our room asking if we want dinner and we said we shall let you know, so we decided to go for a drink in the bar were a young lady then asked us again if we wanted dinner and we were still unsure but she was pushing for an order so we placed our order seeing as she wanted it so bad (felt very rushed).

We ordered the pork and ribeye off your "al a carte" menu and when it arrived it looked lovely but unfortunately the standard of the food was terrible, regarding the ribeye it was not cooked to my requirement, onion rings where soggy, the steak had no taste at all and the chips tasted horrible ( probably Havant been blanched, just cooked from raw . My partners pork was also disappointing as the piece of pork was smaller than anything else on the plate, the black pudding scotch egg contained a tiny little egg that was overcooked, pork was overcooked and black pudding tasted as if i was bathed in oil and not cooked.

We spoke to the young man regarding these issues straight away and was told nothing about it that night but when we checked out he basically told us that we were lying and had to pay the full bill even though i hardly touched my steak, we stated we were happy to pay for the pork as most of it was eaten but not the steak as i went hungry that night but yet still had to pay £22 for a meal i wouldn't feed my dog, i do not appreciate being called a liar as both my partner and i work in the hospitality trade and he is a head chef, so I'm afraid we do know how the food and especially the service should of been.

A very disappointing visit and would not recommend your hotel to anyone unless they want to be called liar and to feel very unwelcome.

DISGRACEFUL

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Robert P
John P, Owner at Chiseldon House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback and for bringing this to my attention. I apologise you had a disappointing experience. We are reviewing complaint procedure with staff to ensure if any issues arise in the future that they are dealt with in an appropriate manner.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I booked afternoon tea as a surprise for my Mums birthday today. The grounds were well kept and spacious and the hotel looks more like a Manor House. We were seated in the restaurant and we started with a sorbet. Then they bought out the tea or coffee and afternoon tea. This consisted of several different finger sandwiches, two scones with jam and cream and 3 different cakes. All the food was delicious and good quality. The staff were very pleasant and attentive. We were unable to eat all the food and the staff kindly wrapped each item individually and put into a brown paper bag to take home.
When we booked I asked for special dietary requirements for my daughter as she is pregnant and asked for sandwiches the young children would eat. They catered for our needs and I have to say that overall, I was very impressed, as we're the rest of my party. We will be going back there again.

Room Tip: We didn't stay. Just used the restaurant.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Karen H
John P, Owner at Chiseldon House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank you for your positive review. I am delighted you and the rest of your party enjoyed your visit to our hotel. We try to accommodate any guest request and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I decided to book an afternoon tea for my mum as a Mother's Day treat, after searching numerous hotels and manor houses decided upon Chiseldon House as the grounds looked lovely and seemed then
Effect place for an afternoon tea.
I booked for the Friday firstly because we thought it may not be quite as hectic but also it was fully booked anyway on the Sunday.
When we arrived there was a group on a large table just finishing a lunch, apart from that the place was empty. We were shown to a table I had requested, in the window area, I thought it might have had views over gardens however it was a view over the car park.
The restaurant has clearly just had a revamp, all very clean but not really very much atmosphere, big band type music was played on a loop over and over again so did get a bit boring!
We were given a menu for the Mother's Day tea which looked lovely, a great selection of teas and coffee and a lovely choice of sandwiches and cakes on offer so we were quite looking forward to what was to arrive. The cake platter arrived which look delicious, at first we thought that it would not be enough for the three of us but it was very generous portions. The finger sandwiches were very nice and some had quite unusual fillings, still very nice. Lovely cakes and scones and jam and cream followed. We all had ample to eat, in fact they did up a doggy bag for us to take home 4 scones that we had not eaten.
All in all a nice afternoon which my mum loved, the only one thing that would have been a nice touch would have been some fresh flowers on the tables, seeing as it was Mothers Day weekend perhaps some daffodils? In fact regardless of Mother's Day just some flowers in the restaurant would have made all the difference, especially as the crockery, the table linen were all white, perhaps have the napkins in another colour? It was just a little sterile, even perhaps have some nice bone china cups and saucers for afternoon tea's?
As I say it was a lovely afternoon and we will be going back in the future.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank DebbieHampshire
John P, Owner at Chiseldon House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Thank you for your kind comments. We have an ongoing schedule of improvements and redecoration and look forward to welcoming you back to see the renewed front lounge which will also be available for Afternoon Tea. We are grateful for your recommendations for furthering enjoyment of Afternoon Tea.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

We have just enjoyed an excellent afternoon tea, very friendly and professional staff, and very good quality food. Would eat here again. We had a gift card voucher and this wasn't a problem when booking or when we received the bill.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your positive review. I am delighted you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I did not stay at the hotel met a friend for lunch. We always meet in a hotel so that we can enjoy a good meal and then sit in the lounge for a chat and coffee afterwards. There was no lounge as such just a seating area at the end of the dinning area which was the first disappointment. The dinning area was clean but lacked any atmosphere or style. The service was poor and no attention to detail, we were given two different menus at one stage and the waiter was not sure which menu was the correct one so went backwards and forward to the kitchen on at least two occasions to check.
The food when it arrived was poor. I had fish and chips and my friend commented as soon as it arrived that she had never seen such a small piece of fish!
On looking this hotel upon the web we had hoped for better, as the web site makes it look really good.
Would we go again No.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Susanne R

Thank you for your review and for dining with us. I apologise we fell short of our expectations and that our lounge was not available after your meal as it was being redecorated.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

On arrival at this very pretty hotel, first impressions were very good. A nice welcome and a lovely room which was very nicely decorated. The dining room was closed off for re-decoration and the lounge for a function and so 4 of us ended up having dinner in a cleared out bedroom with nowhere to go afterwards other than back to our room). The young waitress was very nice and very helpful amid her many trips up and down the stairs to the kitchens; the food itself was rather variable among our party, with some excellent dishes and some much less so. Breakfast was equally odd, with about 12 of us squashed together on a single large table, while the rest of the room stood empty. Things were much improved by the arrival of Denise Van Outen for her breakfast… brightened my day no end!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NigelG25658

Thank you for your review. I apologise our recent redecoration had an impact on your stay with us, we try to keep disruption to a minimum. The dining arrangements were made with your tour company, and the single large table at breakfast was at their request. I hope you will return to enjoy our redecoration.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We had afternoon tea here and were very disappointed. Firstly the hotel is being refurbished, both lounge rooms closed consequently tea was served in the dinning room. Had imagined comfy sofas and open fires. The presentation was good but the scones were cold, very cold think they may have come from the freezer that morning!! We were given cold strudel as part of the cake plate, cold pastry with a small amount of fruit filling, not nice, not strudel as I know it. It would have been nice to have a change of plate after eating our sandwiches and a cake fork, the only cutlery was a knife.
We had stayed at this hotel three years ago it had a temporary reception due to refurbishment then, we thought the hotel was very tired looking then but understood it had been updated so we thought we would give it a second chance. Three years on it's still tired, tatty looking from the outside and the same as you enter. We won't bother again, it would be better to close the hotel and get the work done then re open, at least customers may return then.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank lynda v
John P, Owner at Chiseldon House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Thank you for your review. I am sorry your Afternoon Tea was not up to the standard you hoped for, or that we expect from ourselves. Thank you for bringing these points to our attention so we can improve on them. We always try to resolve any issues that are brought to our attention at the time. I apologise that our current redecoration impacted on your visit, we try to keep disruption to a minimum and hope when completed will give our hotel a fresh feel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Swindon
Stanton House Hotel
Swindon Marriott Hotel
Swindon Marriott Hotel
#10 of 25 in Swindon
Blunsdon House Hotel, BW Premier Collection

Been to Chiseldon House? Share your experiences!