“Excelent value for money” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chiseldon House

Chiseldon House
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Swindon
London
“Excelent value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2010

Thank you to all the staff at the Hotel that made our recent family weekend a great success. Both food and service were outstanding and we were made to feel very comfortable indeed. We will look forward to seeing you all again.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Luvena

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Swindon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2009

We held our wedding here at the beginning of August and really can't fault the place.
Extended family also stayed and also had nothing but good things to say too. The fact that we had perfect weather after a very unsettled week was obviously a big bonus but overall the hotel made the day for us.
The grounds are beautiful and the relaxed atmosphere was ideal for our smallish wedding (32 people). The food was of a very high standard and the service was also good. Everything we asked for both before and during the day was met with friendly and helpful responses - nothing was too much trouble.
Our room was beautiful and our guests were perfectly happy with theirs too. Most importantly we were able to relax and enjoy the day because the venue and staff made it so. Isn't that what weddings should be about?
We would definitely recommend the Chiseldon House Hotel to anyone but especially travellers who want a relaxing time with good service, great food and beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed August 2009
2 Thank SwindonMrsM
Bristol
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2009

We stayed at this hotel for a family wedding and expected it to be pretty good, their web page and prices certainly indicated so, how wrong could we be.
Chiseldon House Hotel say about their accommodation....... "Bedrooms each with a superb bathroom in which to unashamedly pamper yourself" Since when can you say this about a bathroom that has NO HOT WATER? There was a note by the sink to run the shower head in the bath for a few minutes to clear any air locks in the pipes, I did this for 20 mins and not a drop of hot water came out. so then had a cold shower, the sink was even worse as no water at all came out of the hot tap. The room also smelt musty and damp.
The full English breakfast was indeed hot but that is about the best I can say for it, it was tasteless, cheap quality and greasy.
We stay in many hotels every year from budget to 5 star, Chiseldon House has been the worst, its overpriced for what it is and needs a major refit.
JS/JN Bristol

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JS-JN
Bristol
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2009

I know this hotel has had a good reputation in Swindon in the past, but I stayed for the first time yesterday, for a family wedding which had booked the whole hotel. The situation is fine, the grounds beautiful and the front part of the hotel - a stone built Regency house - handsome and with nice interiors. The big modern wing at the back looks shabby from the outside, but the decor and general standard of the public areas within is fine. The food (both the reception dinner and breakfast) was generally good - I didn't hear anyone complain. My room was an attic one in the old part of the building. It smelt a bit musty and although it looked clean enough, the decor and furniture weren't up to standard - definitely shabby. Given the pricing (£70 for single room, about 90-120 for doubles) I would expect a lot better.

The worst factor (for everyone, not just me) was the plumbing. Only a few people got a hot or warm shower, many of us, me included, could get no hot water out of the shower, and NO water at all out of the hot tap to the basin. So cold water in the basin or a cold shower were my only options. Yes there was the laminated sign saying to put the shower head in the bath and run the water for a while to release pressure in the system - after 10 minutes there was no sign of hot water and I gave up.

The groom and best man had to borrow someone else's room to shower before the service. The antiquated plumbing was the talking point over breakfast. There should have been a riot at checkout but being English we meekly shut up. Now I regret it. Hot water and plenty of it is a basic necessity, and one that all hotels I've visited in the last two decades have managed without problem. Chiseldon House should close for a month and get the plumbers in.

• Stayed August 2009
3 Thank adfbristol
South Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2009

Recently stayed here with 2 young children (3yrs and 1yr olds!) for our wedding anniversary. Firstly was impressed with its location from the motorway very easy to find and suprisingly quiet lovely village surroundings cottages, thatch roofs etc! Nice country pubs can reccommend "The Patriot Arms" (follow road past hotel to mini roundabout is on the left) food was great and lots of games and toys for smaller ones.

Hotel reception were very friendly, check in easy, the room was very spacious and clean although we did have a family room, bathroom clean and big, decoration...interesting but did not put me off! Restaurant food is excellent and we are big foodies! They catered for the children very well my only complaint would be the service although they were trying very hard, just things like not removing unused glasses/cutlery, bread no butter, the worse though was my Cava was not chilled!!! Bar prices I thought were fine...have had a lot worse pint of Becks £3.20, Cava bottle £15.

Great choice at breakfast there were cereals fruit yoghurt buffet style and you ordered the rest. They had a nice choice not just bacon eggs, but things like smoked salmon, haddock, kippers etc. One thing I really missed was there was no proper coffee machine (well I didn't see one anywhere) so no cappucinos.

Hotel grounds are well kept and has a lovely courtyard kids enjoyed looking around. Was a bit annoyed the lounge areas were set up for conference possibly but it never got used when we were there so would have been nice for kids to have another room to lounge in.

We wanted a quiet country house style hotel admittedly there were a few minor things but we enjoyed our night and the kids loved it!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Cornwall, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2009

Just returned from a 2-night stay at the Chiseldon House Hotel for a family wedding reception. I was originally going to find us somewhere closer to the venue for the wedding ceremony itself, for the Friday night. Partly I have to say, due to the mixed reviews on Tripadvisor. However, after more hours than I care to recall spent online, I decided the benefit of a single hotel outweighed any 'risks'. I'm glad to say it was the right call.

The hotel is exactly what it says it is - an english country house hotel in the middle of the price-range for such establishments. You get elegant building and gardens, drawing-room type reception rooms to relax on a well-padded sofa with a cup of tea and the newspaper (in winter add roaring log fire), really good food in the restaurant, and clean, comfortable bedrooms and bathrooms. At this price point in my experience, slightly old-fashioned decor goes with the territory, as does the odd shabby corner, variety in room sizes and some quirky plumbing. I did enquire about the hot water when I extended my booking and was told they'd invested in a new boiler. There was certainly lots of hot water - not of the skin-ripping power shower variety, but absolutely fine.

What else to add? The food in the regular restaurant was good and our party of four were all more than satisfied with the portions. Mass catering at the reception was impressive - it is even more of a challenge. The bar prices were higher than a pub - lager £3.50 a pint, a glass of wine £5. Yes that is pricey, although wine by the bottle in the restaurant was OK, and I have been charged similar prices in other hotel bars.

Would we have had a better time of it at any of the alternative establishments I looked at online? That is a difficult question to answer. Every hotel seems to have a mix of good and bad reviews, related to which room the guest got, the quality and professionalism of staff and the reviewer's prior experience and expectations. Perhaps people who write a 'stay away' review should give an example of where they were happy - if they have not written any reviews before.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Wiltshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2009

I've never written a review on trip advisor before, I've never made any complaint on a website before but my experience at the Chiseldon House Hotel has pushed me to it!

I'm going to try and be fair so here are the plus points first:
+ Very nice grounds which seemed well kept
+ Some staff quite friendly

Onto the minus points:
- Some of the staff including what we discovered to be the general manager, Sue, are really rude people keen to take your money and see you checkout again with the minimum of effort on their part.
- Rooms are very cold, heater not working
- This is a corker; The shower has a sign proudly stating if there isn't any water pressure put the shower head in the bath and run it for a few minutes first. They obviously know this is a common problem but it was cheaper to make a laminated sign in the bathroom than buy a shower pump from B&Q
- Tiny food portions, even top London restaurants offer more than here
- Terrible accessibility for disabled people
- Gravel/mud car park which is obviously not suitable to use in Wet Weather.
- Small Rooms

On the plus side, I now know and will never go there again. Life is a learning experience afterall!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple