“Good Hotel in a quiet location”

The Pear Tree at Purton
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Leintwardine, United Kingdom
“Good Hotel in a quiet location”
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Stayed for 2 nights DB & B. Dinner in the conservatory was very good. Lovely views over the gardens. The Hotel is clean and comfortable. My only complaint was that the shower over the bath was positioned in such a way that the bathroom floor got soaking wet every time we showered! Other than that - no problems. The bed was lovely and very comfortable.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Paul J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2011

A lovely spacious and very clean room (Executive Twin), tea and coffee tray, complimentary newspaper, sherry, fruit, shortbread, pear drops, flat screen tv, alarm clock and dvd player, extremely comfortable beds and seating in the room. Lovely conservatory restaurant serving ample breakfast of choice and delicious modern meals at dinner. Lovely welcome and helpful staff. Beautiful grounds. A most restful and relaxing break. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Somerset
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I stayed at this hotel for one night. I was rather looking forward to the experience, given the hype surrounding this hotel, and the fact that I do not get away on my own very often! I paid 134 inc breakfast.

I must say on my mistake I booked the wrong night, which I fully take responsibility for, but I was a little disappointed with my room and its location. I assume I was given a room in a new part of the hotel, the view from my window was scruffy and disappointing and I was awoken by the sounds of the occupants in the next rooms' bathroom habits. There was no tea and coffee facilities in the room, hairs in my bath and to be honest I did not bother with breakfast.

So all in all, a disappointing experience, I would suggest a room in the main house, or request a garden room. It is a little dated too, the decor in the main areas needs an overhaul. Not value for money, should have stayed at Blunsdon.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Yeovil1
Reviewed 13 April 2011

This is a delightful hotel in pleasant grounds at the northern corner of Wiltshire not far from Swindon. Our family met up for a weekend together and we enjoyed the location, the surroundings, the newts in the pond, the wild flowers growing on the slope in the garden and further up the garden: the conservation area, the beehives and the vines.

We were lucky with the weather and were able to sit together for meals in the light and airy conservatory or take tea outside in the sunshine. Breakfasts were excellent, and the dinners were quite good though one or two people felt that the reality did not always match the promise on the menu. Service is friendly. The rooms vary in size from snug to more generous and are well appointed - with complimentary bottles of water each day.

We enjoyed our stay and the general view was that this would be a good hotel to return to next year.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 March 2011

My husband and I, together with eight friends, have just returned from a very enjoyable weekend at 'The Pear Tree'. From the moment we arrived, the staff were friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them. The evening meals were of a very good standard and the setting for them lovely - in a large candle-lit conservatory. The breakfasts were also very good and were plentiful and well-cooked. We all agreed that 'The Pear Tree' was one of the nicest and most welcoming hotels we have stayed in.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2011

Due to flooded house, I stayed here for 2 weeks with 5 (well behaved) dogs. It was a delight. Caring staff with nothing too much trouble, great food, linen napkins, dog towels, dogbowls, extra sausages etc.. Late return after dinner was no problem a huge sandwich delivered with trimmings to room.
Acres of grounds to walk dogs safely off lead. Housekeeping thoughtful, restaurant food excellent, roaring fires, great ambiance. Little things count when homeless, this place delivered. Excellent value too.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank tollersal
Reviewed 3 January 2011

We enjoyed a great stay at The Pear Tree in Purton and thoroughly liked the rooms, service and food. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left we where greeted and treated with amazing service.

We stayed in two king rooms and it was perfect. Very spacious rooms with large windows and a door leading onto a balcony with stairs leading off into the extensive grounds. Inside the room a large chaise longue, flat screen television, free Wi-Fi and the absolute highlight, a large spa bath, perfect for unwinding. The housekeeping was to a very high standard and the satsuma’s and pear drops in the room on arrival was a nice touch.

The location was lovely. Beautiful grounds (covered with light snow) and you could even see the occasional deer wander in the grounds.

We enjoyed a excellent dinner which was wonderful and yet again, nothing was too much trouble for the staff.

This was really a wonderful stay and worth every pound. Thank you everyone at The Pear Tree. We will certainly be back !

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends