“Perfect valentines” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Swindon
wales
“Perfect valentines”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

My husband took me here for 2 nights over valentines. The place was spotless. Very friendly and the food was gorgeous!!! The pear tree purton was about 30mins away from longleat safari which is where we went the day after arrival and about another half hour away from Stonehenge. I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank kezza1166

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Swindon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

I stayed here with my wife after a small ceremony for our Wedding in August 2011. We chose to have a simple small ceremony prior to our "Big Day" at Stanton House (see other review). Following our afternoon ceremony together with 4 guests we sat down for a great meal in the Pear Tree's highly rated restaurant and I can happily say it deserves it reputation. The food was fantastic and also not over priced. The menu was extensive and Francis and all of the staff mad this day extra special. The accommodation was excellent and the gardens are so picturesque that we had several photographs in the hotel grounds. It was an excellent day in every way and we are looking forward to spending our first anniversary there too.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christian A
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012 via mobile

We recently had our wedding at this lovely small country hotel and I cannot recommend it highly enough. The owners Francis and Anne bent over backwards to make sure everything ran smoothly. The food was delicious and the gardens are beautiful. If you want to stay in a boring modern hotel then the Peartree is not for you. If you want to stay in a historic building with character, great service and fantastic food then I highly recommend you stay here!

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Wiltshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

The Pear Tree nestles in a fold with the church on one side and the village cricket ground at the end of the hotel's own vineyard. The building is a converted and extended cotswold stone vicarage in extensive and well tended gardens. My wife and I have never stayed in the hotel as we live nearby but have eaten in the restaurant many times and have always enjoyed excellent food at a reasonable price and served immaculately. The dining room is mainly in a large conservatory overlooking the gardens, although there are tables inside the building, very cosy in winter! The appetisers served with pre-dinner drinks are always intriguing and delicious; I would categorise the food as modern British but with a nod to the continent and beyond. The dishes are always well presented, a treat for the eye as well as the palate. The wine list is extensive and sensibly priced, try the Pear Tree's own wne Cuvee Alix if they have any left. For a young vineyard the wine is excellent. I also recommend the cheese board, one of the finest selections of British cheeses that I have come acroos and served at the proper temperature not straight from a fridge! Francis, the owner and his wife are normally around the restaurant keeping a watchful eye on proceedings and ensuring exemlary service from the young and friendly staff. I look forward to my next visit in July to celebrate a birthday.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

The service for dinner was as we have always known spectacular, The food was Excellent and the attention to detail was Very Good.
A cousin of mine stayed there not long ago with his wife, daughter and grandson, they arrived late and after a meal with us and were very happy with the service and reception. They Loved there night their.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank HermanandSandra
Colchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

I am struggling for something positive to say here but the room itself was very nice indeed in terms of décor (we had opted for an Executive room because it had a spa bath!) but the first problem we encountered was that they hadn't put the heating on before we arrived... Bearing in mind it was a chilly weekend over Easter, the room appeared to be east-facing so the sun was long gone, and they only had crummy storage heaters, it was ARCTIC when we entered the room!! There was literally condensation on the insides of the windows when we walked in. We got there at 5pm and check-in was from 2.30pm, hence personally I think they should have started heating it from 2.30pm at the absolute latest. The second the person who showed us to our room had left, I leapt under the covers in a bid to warm up a bit... Also, the bed appeared to be made up of two children's beds pushed together. We worked this out after a while because a child-sized bed is 3' wide by 6' long and our bed was 6' by 6'. As my husband is 5'10", his feet were hanging off the end off the bed when he attempted to lie down to sleep… How much fun would that be for anyone who is over 6' tall, I wonder? The fruit basket which was provided for us contained three yucky-looking Golden Delicious. Not appetising in the slightest.

Then, when we got back at 11pm after an evening out, there was a function (an 18th birthday party) taking place in the suite adjacent to our room. And I mean right next to us, on the same floor. Lots of loud talking, laughter etc. I wouldn't have minded so much if it had been going to downstairs in the restaurant. I spoke to Reception and they said the party was coming to an end and sure enough, they left shortly afterwards. But what if we had wanted to go to bed and sleep earlier than 11.30pm? What if we had had a child with us? Why did they put us in the room next to the party when clearly not all of the rooms were occupied? One of the main reasons why I had chosen the Pear Tree was because we were seeking some peace and quiet in the countryside. I think they could have at least warned us about the party beforehand as a courtesy.

Then, at breakfast, we arrived first before any other guests. We sat down at a table and a lone man came in five minutes after us. A lady came straight over to him, took his order, did not even throw a glance in our direction, and the gentleman's breakfast arrived before we had even had the opportunity to order ours!! Bizarre. I asked for a Continental breakfast and the girl arrived with a basket of croissants and toast. I had to politely ask for a plate so I could eat them! Did she seriously expect me to eat them straight from the basket? The service was incredibly odd and haphazard.

I didn't have the energy to complain. Money wouldn't have made up for anything, in my opinion. The most powerful thing one can do in these situations is walk away and let one's actions speak for themselves. We left the hotel after just one night and moved to another one down the road. This second hotel was both cheaper and better run than the Pear Tree. And the heating (radiator) was ON!!

On a final note, I should explain that we had been to the restaurant at this hotel twice before and had a good time on both occasions. Hence why I had chosen it and hence why we were so deeply disappointed when we tried to stay there.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Sognoditalia
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

The pear tree at purton is a beautiful hotel, full of old school English charm without being stuffy or old fashioned. I spent a wonderful 2 nights here and could not fault it. From the biscuits, carafe of sherry and pear drops in the rooms, to the countryside views and excellent restaurant nothing has been left to chance. Highly recommended

• Stayed April 2011