Having booked in advance for afternoon tea, as per the instructions on the hotel's website, we were very disappointed with the quality of the food. The website requires one to "book at least 24 hours in advance as everything is made freshly". It didn't seem that way on our visit. The scones were dry and rubbery with a texture similar to that of stale part-baked ciabatta bread - I suspect something had gone wrong with the recipe; I've never had scones like this before. The pear tart presumably had a frangipane filling but it was very dry and there was no almond flavour. The pear had been poached in some sort of spiced liquid, the flavour of which was not to my taste. The cream was of the spray can variety rather than clotted or thick double. The jam was a bit congealed in the pot. The lemon cake had a good flavour but it was a bit dry. The sandwich fillings were uninspiring: ham and pickle, cheese and tomato, egg and cress on supermarket-style sliced bread. My coffee was luke warm when it arrived. Not what I've come to expect from the Pear Tree over the many years that I've been a regular customer. Let's hope dinner next week is better or I shall be looking for somewhere new for our next outing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Pear Tree at Purton provides the perfect place to stay, whether it is for a romantic getaway or a place to rest your head before a business meeting in nearby Swindon.Set in 7.5 acres of gardens, which include a wildflower meadow and a vineyard, it is a perfect rural setting to relax and unwind. Yet we are only 10 minutes away from Swindon and Junction 16 of the M4. We specialise in celebrations, from special birthdays to groups of old friends meeting up. Let us know what you are after and we will come up with a fantastic schedule to suit you all. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotel.de, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your The Pear Tree at Purton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Pear Tree At Purton Hotel Swindon
- Pear Tree At Purton Swindon
- The Pear Tree At Purton Swindon, Wiltshire