“Lovely hotel, excellent food and friendly staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Pear Tree at Purton

The Pear Tree at Purton
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Swindon
Bath, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, excellent food and friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for one night for our anniversary. We were lucky with the weather and sat in the lovely gardens having a couple of drinks. Do try their own vineyard wine.
We had a standard room with complimentary home made shortbread, fruit and mineral water.
We had a great meal in the conservatory restaurant and the staff were excellent and very friendly.

Highly recommended

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wurzelboy
Alix Y, Manager at The Pear Tree at Purton, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
I'm really pleased that you and your wife enjoyed your last minute getaway with us. Sadly the weather wasn't great but I'd glad to hear your enjoyed it nonetheless. I'm also delighted that you enjoyed our home-grown wine, particularly as it is named after me!
We do hope to welcome you both back again soon.
Alix Young

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Waddesdon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Good facilities and meals. I didnt stop over although some of our team did. From what they said eveything was good and the bar was open late tooo. Only critisim would be the tea and coffee needed to be warmer and more of it. I suppose if I had asked they would of been happy to provide more..

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank waddesdon1964
Thank you for your comments and I'm pleased that you enjoyed the majority of your meeting.
We know that your work training here is quite intensive and at the specific request of the trainers we provide the tea/coffee etc for breaks at the requested time but will leave outside the door if it is closed to avoid interrupting the meeting. If it is ever a bit colder than you'd like or you'd like more, do please let Reception know and we're always happy to provide a top up.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel has a charm and style that is personal and friendly. It's brilliant for dogs. Our room was very good and comfortable and spotlessly. Dinner offers a great choice, was well presented and really delightful. Good quality food and I enjoyed the different gins. Decent wine list, reasonably priced. We love coffee after dinner in the library when the dogs can join us. Anne, Alix and Tim do their very best to make us feel welcome and we have stayed here for many years now during Badminton.
Thank you for another excellent stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay with us again this year, it was lovely to welcome you and dogs back. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay and just sorry that the weather was so cold & windy for you at Badminton!
Looking forward to seeing you again next year.
Alix
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

We were visiting Lydiard Park for the day with some two friends, we wanted to make it a special day for them so chose to go to the Pear Tree for lunch. It made the day, the welcome was very friendly and we soon had pre lunch drinks in our hands. Our orders were taken and very soon after we were taken into the conservatory for lunch. We all decided to go for the lunch time special, one, two or three courses, I went for the two courses and it was delicious. The service was good, the food was good and the setting was good, if we are in the area again we will stop here. Also Lydiard Park is worth a visit so combine the two.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind comments on here and for choosing to visit us for lunch. We're delighted that your enjoyed your time with us and your visit to the beautiful Lydiard Park with it's fabulous house and walled gardens.
We hope to welcome you all back again soon.
Winsford, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

My wife and I have just returned from the bank holiday weekend at the Pear Tree, on first impressions the hotel looks very good, very friendly staff the majority hard working and helpful, good very clean hotel, bedrooms and bathroom excellent.
The hotel had a large group of people staying, who appeared to dominate every where they went, the bar area most nights was full of them and other guests were ushered to the Library for some room for a pre-dinner drink.
Saturday nights dinner was very good the young girl who waited our table was excellent very attentive.
Sunday breakfast was good only two other persons having breakfast on this day were given two rashers of bacon and excellent scrambled egg, toast not that good
Sunday evening again the bar area dominated that the large group of people so off to the library before dinner, dinner was very good although noisy.
Then we come the problem breakfast on the Monday again totally dominated by the group, I would compare it to a gaggle on unruly school children, having to wait for the Full Wiltshire breakfast, when it came what a difference from the previous day, the scrambled egg appeared to be from the Saturday kitchen just a uncooked mess on the plate, the black pudding was greasy and cold, the mushroom was greasy and cold, then we come to the bacon, it was the smallest piece of bacon I have ever seen, sorry my wife's was even smaller. I am aware that the breakfast service was very busy, but to put that before the guests was poor to say the least. We did not eat it, although the toast was better.
The garden was good, having invested heavily in garden furniture, it would be better if it was maintained, the pond a nice aspect of the area needs a good clean.
Like I have said, I first looked at this hotel over 12months ago as one we would like to visit, it is very good in a great deal of the things I have said, but lacking in others, Would I visit again, I don't know, my wife would, so may be Yes.
To the group who stayed and totally dominated all area's there were other people staying there and would have welcomed some peace and quiet!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank George K
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I'm pleased that the majority of your stay was positive.
I have discussed the issue with breakfast with our kitchen team & the chef has implemented some solutions to prevent that happening again.
I am sorry that the large group of guests impacted on your stay, we did try our best to give you alternative areas to sit & dine etc but it appears that they did still affect you. The large group had been and gone already for breakfast on the Sunday morning, hence the calmer atmosphere.
Thank you for the comments about the pond, I attempted to clean it several days before your visit but it is home to many tadpoles so unfortunately the de-weeding has been put on hold.
We do hope to welcome you and your wife back again in the future.
Kind regards
Harlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Along with 22 other friends we spent a long weekend at The Pear tree. My wife and I can't remember when we have spent such a wonderful long weekend break (3 nights) in such a clean and friendly hotel. The management and staff who were obviously well trained could not do enough to make our holiday memorable.
The kitchens and the chefs must have very experienced, the way the dishes were presented and served was a delight. The wines and the bar area were very well stocked, complimented with wines made from their own vineyard. The public rooms were spotlessly clean, and as I can only speak for our bedroom they were also extremely clean and comfortable, with lovely views over their extensive gardens. The hotel is situated on the outskirts of a small to medium village, with all the amenities that a village has to offer a church, a cricket pitch, etc.
The term 'faultless' is used many times, but this hotel deserves it. Thank you to all for a wonderful weekend, we will return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am so pleased you and all your friends enjoyed your weekend with us. We really enjoy having large groups staying with us, whether they are from clubs, re-unions or family events and your was no exception.
Many thanks for your kind comments and we hope to welcome you all back again soon.
Kind regards
walsall
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Have just spent a Bank Holiday weekend at this delightful hotel and I cannot find anything negative to comment upon. A first class hotel in a beautiful setting. From the moment we entered the hotel, and received a lovely welcome from Tim, until we left, without exception everyone was courteous and friendly. The little touches in our room - homemade shortbread, apples, water and the hospitality tray complete with fresh milk was perfect. The standard of cleaning in bedroom and bathroom was 100%
We had three evening meals which were presented beautifully and quickly, my only regret is that I was unable to sample the wine produced from the vineyard, although my husband thoroughly enjoyed his two glasses. I just wish that the hotel was a little nearer to home, so that we could enjoy this wonderful hotel ion a regular basis. A complete "Gem"

Room Tip: The area that the hotel is situated in is so peaceful, all rooms would be excellent.