“Worst HI Express I've encountered”

Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre
Ranked #22 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We decided to book this hotel to break the journey from Cambridgeshire to Devon. I wish we had gone elsewhere.

I have stayed at several HI Express hotels and this is the worst I've encountered.

The staff on reception were Ok and check in wasn't too bad. There is no car park at the hotel and you have to park in the drop off bay whilst you check in. There is a fee to park in the railway station car park which is a short walk from the hotel. The cost for this was £6 (although I think the website states £5). The main problem here was that from the entrance lobby to the reception you have to go up in the lift, which isn't really a problem but on this occasion just as we were unloading the car a coach party arrived with luggage and the lobby became blocked as everybody had to wait for lifts to reception. In the end we battled through and carried our cases up several flights of stairs.

We were staying with 2 children and had booked a family room. When we got to the room on the second floor it was the smallest room I've ever stayed in and with the sofabed out there was no room to swing a cat. The air on in the room didn't work and seemed to be blowing out cold air - it was like walking into a fridge. There was a small electric heater but that was smelly and pretty useless.

We then popped to reception to see if we could be moved to a bigger room but the excuse was that the hotel was full due to 3 coach loads visiting on route to London. To be fair the girl was apologetic but just kept tapping keys on the computer saying that they had 3 coaches in and eventually we told her not to bother.

In the room we had 1 pillow each. My daughter called reception asking for extra pillows but the reply was that we couldn't as there were 3 coaches in - I find no spare bedding unbelievable and we had to make do with using cushions from the sofa.

Both sofa bed and normal bed were extremely uncomfortable. The sofabed even had springs poking through the very thin mattress.

We were told that as priority members we could access free Internet in the bar area but as the hotel had 3 coaches in the bar had been taken over by extra tables and there was nowhere to sit and so we just spent the evening in the poky room.

Breakfast was a fiasco. As we exited the lift, we were greeted by a member of staff, who said "breakfast, come" and took us in the opposite direction to the dining room. He explained that as they had 3 coaches in that they were also serving breakfast in a conference room. When we walked in it was set up like an army barracks with rows of tables, so that we weren't able to sit as a family. We went into the main dining room and waited for a vacant table, which we cleared ourselves prior to sitting down to a pretty poor breakfast. The queue for coffee was unbelievable due to one of the machines being broken although to be fair the engineer tuned up whilst breakfast was on to fix it.

I understand that hotels get busy but this hotel wasn't geared up for the amount of guests. The staff were just overwhelmed and to use the excuse that "we've got 3 coaches in". I don't want to hear that because that's not my problem.

I definitely won't be staying at this hotel again and as I've said I've been to several HI express hotels both in the UK and the continent and this is the worst one I've encountered.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Constantin S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Dear Mark L,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay. Firstly, please allow me to apologize for the way you experienced our hotel. The whole team at the Holiday In Express Swindon City Centre is very focused on ensuring that all guests have an excellent stay. On this ocassion we have indeed had a very busy weekend, however this should not affect in any way your experience at the hotel. I have passed your comments to the relevant departaments who are investigating the situation. We have also met as a team and discussed your comments, and agreed on several learning points - thank you again for your feedback. On another note, I would appreciate if you could contact me directly at the hotel to further discuss the matter described. I look forward to hear from you soon .

Reviewed 6 June 2012

We were a party of four on a coach trip for Jubilee Weekend, there were 3 coaches staying here.

Reception staff were friendly & we were checked in without any fuss, the room was spotless and very comfortable and there were the usual tea & coffee making facilities.

The trouble began with the evening meal - we are unsure whether this hotel usually serves food other than breakfast as it was complete & utter chaos - there were tables crammed into reception & there were not nearly enough as there was only one sitting at 7.00pm, however at 8.00pm people were still looking for tables - the food was mediocre at best and the poor staff (the few that were there) were racing round like maniacs trying to cope.

Breakfast was better & as this was served over a much longer period, there was less stress & the staff were more able to cope.

As it was in a central location, it was an easy & quick walk to a Wetherspoons for cheap drinks as the hotel bar was quite pricey (as expected).

I think the coach company will be receiving some complaints!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 June 2012

The value was absolutely great and I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the complimentary cooked breakfast. Limited choice, but to be honest I was only expecting a continental breakfast for the price and so the cooked element was a really nice surprise and was all very fresh.
The room was clean and functional and the hotel was pretty quiet.
There was no parking on site, but there was a multi storey car park around the corner which cost £6 overnight and you could drop off luggage at reception before parking up.
All in all a good value, clean and functional hotel, no complaints at all.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Clean comfortable room, friendly staff and right in the middle of Swindon near the station if that's what you want. Car parking is in a rather desolate but vast and apparently monitored area near the station and costs only £5 overnight . Not a massive selection for breakfast but adequate and freshly cooked. Only down side is a very noisy club behind the hotel but that might be why you are in Swindon anyway.

Room Tip: Try and get one at the front away from the nightclub if you want some sleep on a Saturday
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank LargelyMonk
Constantin S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

Dear LargeleyMonk ,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am happy that you have found the staff friendly and the room clean and confortable, and that you have found our complimentary hot continental breakfast adequate and freshly cooked. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcome you back at the Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre in the near future.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stayed here in Swindon as I was actually doing a SkyDive the day after in a nearby airfield. To relax, we decided to stay in a city centre hotel and have a bit of retail therapy! It is nothing to look at from the outside, but inside it is very comfortable and modern looking. It is a very clean hotel with friendly staff, especially the receptionists who were very courteous with their greeting.

The room was a nice size for us, with a comfortable bed. Also a clean and modern shower room, and TV with freeview. Breakfast was also included which was a great selection for the money. Being right in the city centre, it was great to walk straight into the shopping centre from the hotel, and also meant we could have a glass of wine or two with dinner, and didn't have to drive back!

There is no car park, but we found a long stay car park around the corner for £7.50 for 24 hours. Overall great convenient hotel, would stay here again if I ever replicate jumping out of a plane soon!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Constantin S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2012

Dear Wicktilleth,

Thank you for your feedaback regarding your stay. I was very happy to hear that you have found our staff friendly and courteous, and the rooms met your cleanliness and general standards. I am also happy that you enjoyed the selction offered for breakfast, the position of the hotel and of course....a glass of wine. I have passed your feedback to the team and they wanted to also thank you for your comments. We look forward to welcome you at the hotel during your next SkyDive adventure and congratulate you for your courage (I keep postponing it for couple of years and pretend to be to be too busy for it - in reality the courage is just not there...).

Reviewed 3 May 2012

We began our trip at the Holiday Inn Express in Swindon City Centre. All of the staff were so nice and helpful. The breakfast provided was fairly good as well. The only problem that I did have was that 2 of 3 outlets did not work. I advised the staff several times and I was told that they would provide an extension cord so that I could charge more than one item, but this never happened, even when I told them again. It was inconvenient, but truthfully, the staff and accomodations were fine otherwise so it wasn't a big deal. The location was ideal also. We could get anywhere by rail or bus easily. Yes there were some minor inconveniences, but overall it was a pleasant stay made so by all of the staff of the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear Desiree,

Firstly please allow me to thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your experience. I am always happy to hear when that our guests found our staff nice, pleasant and helpfull. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast and location of the hotel. Thank you for letting us know about the outlets that were not working. We are very focused and passionate about the maintainance of the building, however as you can proabably imagine at times things may occur without us being aware of it. We have now attended to it and you have therefore allowed us to ensure that the next guest will not experience this inconveniece. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcome you back at the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 27 April 2012

Pros - Great central location allowing you to eat and drink out in the centre of Swindon, all within a very short walk of the hotel.

Rooms well looked after and very clean.

The staff were exceptional, the best I have seen in a HIExp anywhere.

Free Wifi in the main lobby/bar area.

Cons - No parking and local car parks are expensive.

Food and drink is expensive and sub standard, however you can eat out easily which means this is only a minor issue.

All in all pleased with the stay and good value for money.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Darren S
Constantin S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Dear Darren,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you have found our staff exceptional. Needless to say that I have passed you comments to the staff and as you can probabbly imagine they were very happy to have their work and passion for great customer service acknowledged. We are looking forward to welcome you back at the Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre.