“Holiday Inn Express; Swindon”

Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre
Ranked #23 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Hotel and staff really excellent, Good location nr station & pedestrian shopping area, but unfortunately seems to be on the main route for the clobbers going home late at night or early morning after a Sat night knees up!

Room Tip: Ask for a room NOT overlooking Bridge Street as that's where all the late night early morning no...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank RussTizard
Constantin S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Dear Russ Tizard,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre. Here, at the Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre we are very passionate and focused on deliver great customer service, hence we have been very happy that you found the staff and hotel excellent, and also enjoyed the location of the hotel. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcome you back at the hotel.

Reviewed 4 August 2012

We were worried when reading the posts on here. Arrived and left the car in the drop of zone check in was quick car park voucher given join the priority club it's free and the car park is cheaper by a pound. The room is one of hie new style very nice only problem is the stains on the carpet and the handels on the desk chair held together with sticky tape. Free breakfast again basic but it's an ok hotel for an nights stay

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear Ormsklad,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre. I am happy to hear that you have found our hotel to your liking, check in process quick and efficient and that you have also enjoyed our Express breakfast. I have passed your comments regarding the stains on the capets to my Housekeeping Manager who has now removed the stains. Thank again for your feedbak and we look forward to welcome you back at the Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre.

Reviewed 1 August 2012

I agree with most of the reviews on trip advisor in relation to this hotel. I stayed for one night in July and it was awful. In summary, half the electrical devices in the room didn't work properly including the TV and air conditioning. The hotel was very noisy with foreign students running up and down the corridor and banging doors all night. Worst of all, I asked for a 5am wake up call which the hotel said they would give me and I heard nothing. When I mentioned this on check out the following morning they offered no explanation or apology. This is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. I will never use it again and it has dented my confidence in the Holiday Inn brand.

Room Tip: Don't use this hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Constantin S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2012

Dear Bev890,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay in July. Firstly, please allow me to apologize for allowing you to leave the hotel without an apology or explanation as we are very focused on providing the best customer service to our guests. In effect, we are very focused on tackling any issues that may affect customer satisfaction on the spot and I would welcome and encourage all our guests to contact and allow to tackle any issues as they arise (there are various options and solutions available to the hotel team to tackle situations on the spot, ensuring therefore that guests enjoy the remaining of their stay). I would welcome the opportunity to discuss and understand your experience in more detail, and would appreciate if you contacted me at the hotel for a chat on your feedback.

We do most of the time receive great feedback on our staff's helpfuness, friendliness and service and wou

Reviewed 15 July 2012

I have stayed in a great variety of hotels for business and with family but have never stayed anywhere quite so awful. I was lulled into a false sense of security by the Holiday Inn name, I didn't realise (until now) the significance of the 'Express' term. The lack of a car park was a major inconvenience, the location was an eye opener and the fact that the reception also doubled as the bar and resturant was not what I was expecting. The staff were pleasant enough and the room was acceptable and clean but those were the only redeeming features. If you find yourself with no choice but to stay at this hotel don't arrive by car or else you will spend the whole night worrying that you may never see it again and don't go out after 6pm unless you want to be concerned for your own safety as you hurry past groups of volently drunk undesirables. I have never been so glad to leave an establishment the following morning, my car and I unscathed.

1  Thank CheshireJosephine

Dear ChesireJosephine,

First, please allow me to thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre. I am glad that you have found our staff pleasant and the room to your liking. I am also sorry to hear about you feeling on lack of oar park facilities and security. While the hotel does not have it's own car park we do have a an agreement with a car park that is situated only 50 meters away from the hotel. This car park is used mainly by employees of very large global companies within Swindon who do find it to be secure, hence it most of the times full. I am also sorry to hear about your feelings on the position of the hotel and your concerns on Security. On this note, I would like to emphasize the fact that the Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre is the most central hotel in Swindon (the very center of the town is only 50-100 meters away) which is generally found to be a great advantage for both corporate and leisure guests to (very close to town centre, major companies, train station, shopping centres, Oasis or Central Bus station). While the hotel is close to most of the establishements asociated with day and night life entertaiments (cafes, clubs, restaurants, pubs etc) I can assure you that the town centre is safe, and monitored at all times by the police (in effect, the Police Station is only 20 meters away from the Holiday Inn Express Swindon City centre - on the other side of the street). Finnaly, please allow me again to thank you for your feedback as we are very focused and allways looking for new ways of improving guest satisfaction and experience of the hotel.

Reviewed 11 July 2012

Arrived in reception to be met by two very friendly ladies on reception. They issues me with the permit for the car park at the station and, after leaving again to go and park the car (less than 5 minutes walk from the hotel) went back to the hotel and completed check in,

Room OK but not quite the usual HI standard, small windows mean the rooms do not get as much light as other sites. Carpet a little dirty in places but otherwise all fine.

Hotel is in a great location in the town center, being close to bars and restaurants (we at a lovely Italian just round the corner with very cheerful staff).

Breakfast in the morning was fine, although it did not seem to have quiet the range that you might find in another HIE.

I Would definitely stay again for the location and the price (think I paid about £59.00)

Dear Animalthatswims,

Please allow me to thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre. I was very happy to hear your feedback on our friendly staff and that you enjoyed the central position of the hotel. I am also happy to hear that you had a good dinner and service at the restaurant across the corner (Da Vinci). I have already passed your feedback to the Restaurant Manager who was very pleased to hear your feedback. Regarding the small window of the room, we do have a variety of rooms within the hotel, and the majority of the rooms have very large french type windows providing large amounts of natural daylight. The several rooms with smaller windows generally tend to be larger and I hope that you enjoyed the extra space. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcome you again at the hotel.

Reviewed 28 June 2012

I chose this hotel because it was reasonably priced and convenient for a meeting on the opposite side of the railway. If there had been a Premier Inn closer I would have chosen that instead.

You have to buzz to get into the main entrance, which is fine because it means extra security, but it wasn't entirely clear to me what I had to do. I didnt see a sign that said "Buzz for Reception" or anything like that. It wasn't clear that this was actually the main entrance and to reach the reception lobby you have to go up one floor. More obvious signage is needed.

The staff on reception were courteous and checked me in quickly.

On arriving at my room, I found that although it was locked, the door handle casing on both sides was very loose, there were several screws either not completely fixed or missing. It looked as though somebody at some point had forced the door open. I went straight back to reception and explained the situation, asking if there was another room I could be moved to. The duty manager said the hotel was full but she came to look at the door with me. She acknowledged the casing needed to be fixed but that she was happy that there was no risk to the security of the door, she demonstrated that it locked fully and wasn't possible for someone to gain access. She said there was no maintenance person on duty (it was past 9pm) and nothing she could do at that moment in time. She also said the hotel was fully booked. I expressed my dissatisfaction at the situation, but I also appreciated that there wasn't much that could be done. The door did seem to lock ok, but it was a little unnerving that the whole locking mechanism was loose and coming off the door. I asked that if there were any cancellations in the next half an hour (before i planned to go to bed!) if I could be given first option to switch rooms.

After the duty manager left and I settled into the room, I realised how warm it was and tried to get the air conditioner to work, which it didn't. I called down to reception and spoke to a different person and asked whether the air con was turned on centrally and if it should be working, which they replied yes. She said she would investigate and "get someone to come to look at it". After a minute or so, the duty manager rang my room to say "you are very lucky we have just had a cancellation so you can switch rooms". Call me skeptical, but I'm not totally convinced I was lucky. Perhaps two faults with one room made my case for a new room more urgent.

Anyway, the door lock on room 2 was fine, and this room started off much cooler than the previous one so I didn't try the air con. However during the night it got very warm and I wanted to turn on the air con, but found to my frustration, that this one also was not working.

The room was at the end of the corridor so a good point is that it was very quiet, both in terms of noise from other guests, but also not too much outside noise. Which was good because I needed to open the window to try to get some air into the room.

I didn't sleep very well. If I'm being picky I could say that the mattress was quite hard, but I suppose that's all down to personal taste.

A couple of other things, the tap in the bathroom spurted, so that half the water was coming out as normal but half was going onto the side of the basin. The lighting is very poor, but I've also found this in Premier Inns and other hotels. Hotels seem to have an aversion to putting main lights in the ceiling. The room was fairly dark, with only the small bed and desk lights. Fine for watching the TV but not great for reading.

Overall, the rooms were clean and tidy. A clever use of space in the bathroom. Breakfast was good, but the area too small to cope with a large number of guests at one time.

If I was doing the same trip a second time, I guess I probably would stay there again, but only out of convenience and for a cheap price, rather than for the comfort and enjoyment of this hotel.

The same duty manager was at the reception desk when I checked out in the morning and asked me how the second room had been. I reported the air con and tap faults. She apologised, but that was it, there was no offer of any kind of refund or token towards the fact that I had experienced several problems during my stay.

2  Thank Lindsay B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2012

Dear Lindsay B,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre.
I am disappointed that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion, my apologies for any inconvenience or discomfort. We are continually reviewing the products and service we provide, therefore guest feedback is very important to us.

I do hope that if your travel plans do bring you to the area in the future, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 23 June 2012

Stayed here whilst working in Swindon, but don't think I'll be staying here again. The staff are very friendly and the room was spacious, but the location of the hotel is right in the middle of Swindon's worst and noisy bars. It was the night of an England game so the bars were still blaring music (like being in Magaluf) after 10pm. Breakfast was average, not nearly as good as a Premier Inn.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2012

Dear K500DCB,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our spacious room and friendly staff.

However, It sounds like we fell below your expectations especially on our location. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.