“Great staff, very good value”

Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Swindon
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Great staff, very good value”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We arrived late on Sunday 27th, 2 tired hungry children in tow, and not knowing what this hotel has in store. We were greeted pleasantly and efficiently and given all the info we needed for our one night stay. The room was on the 5th floor, pretty standard, but fine for our one night stay in Swindon. The receptionist recommended JR buffet for something to eat, another new experience, but happy to give it a go. My wife is vegetarian and all her needs were met, the children were very happy and I didn't know when to stop, gluttony wasn't the word, just try it, worth every penny. The sleeping arrangement was cosy, but exactly what we expected, it was fine. Breakfast, although simple and nice, was the Nancy show, what a super lady to get you off to a great start in the morning. She interacted with every single person and even tried to talk my children's slippers off their feet, keep hold of this one IHG, a truly genuine hard working lady who enjoys her work.
We visit Swindon once a year, we know where we will be staying......

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Andy S
Andrej K, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Andy S,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we were all pleased to read that you had a great experience. Nancy is a key Member of our Management Team, yet still she is very genuine and loves the Guest Interaction (Entertainment). She was really please with your feedback as we all were, so thank you for your kind comments, and we'll see you again in a years time!

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

The rooms are very comfortable we had everything we needed although there was a bit of noise from the nearby nightclub.we were part of a coach party-the staff coped very well with all of us turning up to eat at the same time although there were a few hiccups with the food which had been pre ordered.Robert and his staff were very obliging -going the extra mile to keep us happy.overall it is a very clean and comfortable place .

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sue A
Dear Sue A,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write these kind words here on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed your time with us, and that everything ran smoothly. Robert is one of our valued Management Team Members and I am know he was very pleased with your feedback. Once again thank you and hopefully see you in the nearby future.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

It's not very often I stay in a Holiday Inn Express but it was a good option due to its location to the station. I must admit I wasn't expecting much at all but I really was blown away by the friendy and professinal nature of the staff. I have to especially mention Mollie and Jade who were superb at dealing with any queries I had and even helped me to locate nearby restaurants and places to have a drink after work. It is often difficult staying away from home for long periods but Mollie and Jade made you almost feel part of the team. Top service and enjoyed every night of my stay. I will be staying again for sure the next time I work in Swindon.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovey but would recommend travellers stay on the side that faces the railway line, as...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Naif19
Andrej K, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Naif19,

Thank you for your staying with us and your positive feedback. The Team and Jade & Mollie in particular were very excited to read your comments as it is comments like yours that truly make the our endeavours worthwhile. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Andrej Katoma
Operations Manager

PS: I have a uniform ready for you, when you come next time, since you mentioned that they make you feel like a member of our Team!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

As someone who used to work for a global hotel chain (IHGs competitor!) I have harsher standards than the average guest.

HI Swindon - well done and thank you for a great stay (rm 113). Superb value for money and even though I had an adapted room I was more than happy. In fact, I quite liked that room.

Jade checked me in and was extremely friendly, professional, and a speedy check in. Every team member is multi skilled and so they don't have any sense of being short staffed. Every team member was very friendly too.

Breakfast was fairly basic but good enough to get my day started. I'd love it if the juice wasn't quite so sweet and sickly but a dash of water sorted that out.

The only thing I'd give constructive feedback on - air con. I hadn't spotted the radiator in the wall sou was trying to get warm air from air con. Receptionist sent up Engineering rather than simply telling me there was a radiator to use I instead. No disaster though!

Without doubt I'll be back. Superb value for money and a great nights sleep!

Justin

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Justin S
Andrej K, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Dear Justin,

Thank you for choosing to stay with Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre. We were very pleased to read that we withstood the test of an ex Hotel Manager of a Global Brand (Hilton?) as I know from my own experience, when I am staying away, I turn into a Hotel Inspector myself, often being harsher than usual. The one thing that will always make the difference to me is the Customer Service and therefore I am delighted that you found Jade and the rest of our Team to be forthcoming and friendly, making a real difference to your stay. Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Its not very oftern you stay at a holiday inn and the staff are chatty and smiles but this hotel was full of it, would recommend to stay here, this is our 3 rd time we stayed here and definatly the best. We will be going back, the only slight complaint i would have (but not the hotels fault) is the one way system, it was a nightmare

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bristolbest
Dear PaulMasonBristol,

Thank you for your repeat custom, and your kind words here on TripAdvisor. They were received with sincere gratitude. Public praise, such as yours, is a great reward for us as we are very passionate about delivering personable customer service to all of our guests, and so it is nice to see that the seed of our efforts has come to fruition. Once again, thank you for your stay and we look forward to seeing you soon.

UK
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I had a four week stay here for business. IHG are not "cheap", but they are a budget chain.

From the minute I arrived, I was treated to fantastic service. And I am not talking about one or two people. Every single staff member, no matter how busy they were, were very attentive and always went that extra mile to help. I noticed that the younger staff members took their cues from the senior staff like Robert & co. Nothing was too much trouble.

I have stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels that could learn something about customer service from this team.

Room Tip: Go higher if you can. There are a few pubs at the bottom of the city here, so you can get less noise...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear PRFitz,

Thank you for staying with us and your lovely comments, they were received with great pleasure. We try our utmost to meet all of Guests' individual needs. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Stayed for one night as part of a larger party. The location is central and with that does come the usual city centre problems - noise, litter, drunks, etc. But once you're inside the hotel it's fine.

We were welcomed by Robert who was great. Polite and friendly and made sure everybody had rooms and everything they needed.

My room was large and spacious and was typical Holiday Inn Express. Free wifi was also a bonus. The bathroom was a little small and pokey and there was a suspect stain on the floor but overall a nice room.

Breakfast was better than I've seen at other Holiday Inn Express' but still nowhere near up to a 'good hotel standard' ... but then it's free I suppose! Didn't pay for the room so can't comment on value.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear simonp820,

Thank you for staying with us. (I think you had no choice :-) ), and for sharing your feedback with the rest of the TripAdvisor community. We are always pleased when the Guests remember the Front Desk Agents' name (Robert - Duty Manager) as this indicated that they really made themselves stand out and made the difference to your stay. Needless to say of course that Robert was equally delighted to read you comments. As you identified with regards to breakfast, it is a Free Offering that should provide a good value to our Guests. Our scrambled egg is made in house by a Chef and we source our sausages from a butcher. Our Continental selection is also great, so there is something for everyone. Thank you oncer again and we hope to welcome you back soon.