“Poor Customer Service”

Ranked #22 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Boston, Massachusetts
“Poor Customer Service”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I had a reservation at this hotel. As a regular guest of the IHG family and a Priority Club member for over 4 years and a gold member (previous years I had been Platinum). I have come to expect a certain level of service. Traveling on business I expect my choice of hotel to be as flexible and adaptable to my requirements as I need them to be.

I knew I would be arriving pretty early at the hotel and given my status, it has never ever been an issue for me to check in prior to the check in time. Rooms gradually become available throughout the day, they dont all magically get cleaned at 2pm. I was going to arrive fairly early, so I called the night before and they had rooms available so I knew, as with the sister hotels it would not be a problem.

I arrived at the hotel, well, the receptionist acted as if she had never been asked to check a person in only, she proceeded to remind me check in time was at 2pm and seemed adamant that it would be a 2pm I would be ''allowed'' to check in. She then went to continue to socialise with her girlfriends sitting at the bar.

I sat down and made myself a coffee with the intention to wait, after a short period as I was drinking my coffee and reading my newspaper she tried to usher me into the restaurant area, I told her that I was happy were I was but she was persistent in thinking that I would be more comfortable in the restaurant. After telling her at least 3 times I was fine were i was she went away, were she then whispered with one of her colleagues as they looked over at me.

I was made to feel very unwelcome and uncomfortable. They showed no recognition of my status or loyalty to the IHG brand. I went online looked at other hotels in the area. I was pleased to find a better quality hotel at £10 less than the rate I was going to be paying at HI which was located around the corner.

In summary, if your a business traveller, who needs your choice of hotel to fit in with your schedule then this hotel is not for you.

Room Tip: Stay in Jurys which is higher quality, better service, located minutes from this hotel and have simi...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Andrej K, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Josh839,

Firstly I would like to thank you for being a loyal IHG Rewards Club Member, as demonstrated by the selection of your accommodation recently.
Following on from this I am sorry to learn that you had to wait to check in, unfortunately sometimes it is not always possible to grant access to a bedroom booked before 2pm for various operational reasons.
As an IHG Rewards Club member I do understand that you have a fair insight into hotel operations having stayed so often, and you are right in saying that the rooms 'don't just suddenly appear'.
However we place our valued IHG Rewards Club members at the forefront of our interest when allocating rooms, hence we do so in advance to ensure that it is just right for you.

On this occasion I believe you were offered a complimentary coffee and a copy a newspaper whilst you waited for your room to be cleaned and offered to move to a more comfortable tub chair in our lounge area rather than having to wait on the bench in front of reception. I can assure you there were only best intentions in all of my colleagues' actions and I am sorry that it did not come across as that. Perhaps she failed to recognise that you were in a hurry and wanted to check in as soon as possible.

I hope that you will recognise our best intentions and that you will choose to stay with us in the future again.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I am a regular user and fan of HEI but this one disappointed. It appears that there were only two staff on duty trying to manage check in, the bar, take food orders and deliver the food. When they had problems with the key encoder the result was chaos. There was a long line at check in. It took15 mins. to get a drink at the bar. I waited nearly an hour for food, and nearly walked out as others did. The crunch came when I returned to my room, found the key didn't work and was told to wait with several others till someone could let us in to our rooms manually. That took half an hour. I do not blame the two girls on duty who struggled as best they could and had the decency to offer to waive my room and dinner charge. Other than that it is typical HEI. Comfortable but bland rooms. The area is a little threatening with nightclubs and bars and a strong police presence (Thursday night). But there is a very nice Italian restaurant nearby, a much better bet than the in-house "restaurant"

Room Tip: I am told that some rooms can be very noisy. Avoid the side near the bars and night clubs
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear OttawaResortlover,

Thank you for being a repeated HIE customer. I understand that one has many options when selecting an accommodation provider for ones needs in the market place, hence I also understand the importance of getting it right.

I can assure you, and I am sure you will agree that your most recent experience is not an exemplary one of HIE standard. We had recently upgraded our key cutting machine and whilst it's still within its warranty, it had decided to erupt a series of error messages in the middle of the late shift. Part of the contingency plan in suchlike event, the Late Shift Duty Manager has resulted to using pre-cut manual key cards which has created additional strain on the service.

The issue has now been resolved and the key cutting machine restored to full functionality. Please accept my apology for the overall inconvenience that night and I hope that you will stay with us in future. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Swindon hotels

uk
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The hotel is conveniently located in Swindon close to the train station. Lots of shops and restaurants close-by. Rooms are a bit small but functional. The bathroom looked liked it had suffered a leak recently. Breakfast is basic but free. Exceptionally pleasant staff.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Tzolias,

Thank you for staying with us on your business trip to/through Swindon and taking the time and effort to share your positive experiences with other Travellers reviewing our Hotel. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Leatherhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The holiday inn has very nice rooms and really welcoming staff. The receptionist was very helpful and informative when we arrived. She gave us good directions to our room and explained about breakfast. The room was on the 4th floor ( which is good because it was quite ) we parked in the railway long term car park, it's was very reasonable. We stayed sat & sun night 3&4 may. Breakfast was ok 7 out of 10. The bed was comfy with a choice of soft or hard pillows.would stay again....

Room Tip: Get a room as high as you can , Swindon does get noisy at night.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Leslie A,

Many thanks for not only choosing to stay with us, but taking the time and effort to share your positive experiences with other Travellers reviewing our Hotel. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Uk
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed here recently and room was tiny, and so noisy you can hear every door slam. But rooms clean and adequate. Reception area nice. Near some clubs but noisy area as in centre. Have to park away from hotel and car park looked dodgy, not sure would want to leave my car there again after seeing glass on floor in 2 spaces.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Holidayhell33,

Many thanks for reviewing your recent experience with us. We strive to consistently improve our services to you and create Great Hotels Guest Love. I hope that provided that the car park is situated off site we will have the honour of welcoming you back soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Only a few minutes walk from railway station and ideal for visiting the excellent designer outlet and Steam Museum. Other positives were: the very clean and comfortable rooms, the cheery welcome received from reception staff, and a much better choice of breakfast fare than expected. The main drawback has been mentioned by other reviewers, namely the noise well into the early hours from nearby pubs and nightclubs (though to be fair my friend, whose room wasn't at the end of the corridor, didn't notice the music as much as I did). The lighting in the rooms was also far too muted for my liking making the long-length mirror less than illuminating. I also wish that the Holiday Inn Express brand would stop trying to pretend that the breakfast is "free" - it wasn't, since we'd paid £48pp per night. This represented really good value in our book for the standard of accommodation, but when the receptionist reminded us their breakfasts were great because they were free, we had to correct her.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear SF71,

Thank you for staying with us and a subsequent review here on TripAdvisor. We always value your feedback as it gives us an opportunity to seek improvements. Once again thank you for your visit.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Heating is broken, window was stuck half-open even though it says for safety measures windows are locked. staff at the restaurant kept overlooking us and serving food to customers that were there after us. To top it all off they put me and young child in a room right next to a bloody night club and could not get a shut-eye. this is the worst hotel by far and I have stayed at many. I might as well have slept outside right next to the club. Don't stay here if you want to sleep in peace.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank LaetitiaJames
Andrej K, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear LaetitiaJames,

I am very sorry to learn that your experience with us has not been to your satisfaction. The hotel is located in a busy location of Swindon surrounded by many clubs, pubs and restaurants. Unfortunately the noise is coming from the crowd going to or leaving the aforementioned premises, rather than noise from the night club. Passer-by's noise is something that cannot be reduced or influenced by the Hotel Management and hence lies outside of our remit. Nonetheless we are very proactive when it comes to management of room allocation to families, couples and 'party-goers'.