“Used the restuarant during our stay at the hotel...”
Review of Christopher's Carvery - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Christopher's Carvery
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Used the restaurant during our stay at the hotel. Excellent food and service, wouldn't make an effort to eat here if we weren't guests but for a hotel it was good fayre.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

I have enjoyed many meals at Christopher’s restaurant over the years but my family meal lin January 2014 was truly a terrible experience.

When you book a table you get a 'Leave time' printed on your reservation. Not an 'indicated leave time' or even a 'booked from and until'. A leave time. This means that you get 1 hour and 15 minutes to eat your Sunday lunch. Long enough if there are 2 of you but if you have a party of 8 like we did including my grandparents aged in their 80's - this is not so easy.

On arrival no one explained how the restaurant worked. The soft drinks we were served were totally flat.

Someone in our party said that the website stated there would be salad available. The only salad we could see were some tomato's. The hors d'oeuvres section looked like the remainders of a buffet from the night before.

The quality of the meat was poor. When we went up for our main courses the chef did not elaborate what the meats were. I asked for some of each but as he started to cut a joint of what looked like lamb it was so fatty and undesirable I told him to stop and I had the beef and what I guess was turkey. The beef was tough.

I appreciate no one can predict precisely every individual preference for vegetables for a roast dinner but there were no peas, carrots or cabbage for a Sunday carvery??!

In between courses they hadnt bothered to remove our plates from our previous courses so we had to square up the plates ourselves. No one bothered to ask us if we would like another drink.

The food was badly organised. There were no signs indicated what and where each course was. The soup was next to the desserts and the hors d'oeuvres were tucked behind the carvery.

When we went up for desert we found the bowls were pretty much behind the cheese and people were leaning across the cheese to get a bowl. I even saw a child from another party’s hand and arm go all over the cheese trying to get a bowl and some grapes that were tucked behind the cheese!

I settled the bill at the desk and asked for six adult coffees to be served to us outside in the seating area concourse area. No one explained if I was paying for these or if they were included in our meal. After 25 minutes of waiting no coffee arrived so I went back into the restaurant to enquire what had happened to our coffees! Five minutes later the coffee arrived in one large pot and there was only enough for 5 and a half cups – so I only got half a cup.

If one thing was wrong I would have complained there and then but for a catalogue of issues I felt it would have been improper to make a scene, hence I bit my tongue and wrote an email complaining to their MD.

He replied to me taking my complaint personally!! I have never left a review on Trip advisor before but feel so strongly about the poor experience we received ....here I am!

I am confused how Blunsdon House Hotel can charge probably the most expensive price for a carvery in Swindon and yet deliver an experience that I would not expect to receive at a five dollar buffet somewhere in America. Their website advertises ‘Eat like Royalty’ - this is clearly a disgrace and should be removed.

Years ago Blunsdon House did a lovely carvery. Not any more. Best to avoid!

1  Thank secretagentoo7
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Our annual "treat" lunch on Saturday was incredibly disappointing.We were hurriedly rushed to our table, with a abrupt comment of" we do close at 2". As pulled out my chair I saw a half eaten piece of toast and jam which was hastily removed and placed on the sidetable (where it stayed).The restaurant manager was totally oblivious to the several used paper napkins under the table.
The starters were very uninspired with a very few tired looking tiny bread rolls.
So, on to the meat selection, served by an incredibly surly chef, who was sarcastic to three out of five of our party. Although the food available was tasty,however, the lack of Yorkshire puddings with the roast beef,the six roast potatoes available and the one floret of cauliflower cheese remaining was again disappointing.
The dessert table was not worth a visit with dried up commercial offerings that appeared to have been displayed for many hours.
The coffee was incredibly good, but this did not make up for the lack of customer service and standard of food.

1  Thank Janet A
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Celebrated my grandmother's 80th birthday at Christophers and the food was awful. The carvery meat was poor quality, the starters were 'interesting' & rest of the food on offer lacked appeal even to the most hungry of us.

Needless to say we won't be returning to dine in what can only be described as a time warp. If you want a half decent carvery, drive 10 minutes down the road to the Toby instead!

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Carvery restaurant. Lots of choice even for vegetarians and well cooked. Lovely restaurant, nicely laid out. Pleasant staff