“Much improved after refit”
Review of The Cross Keys

The Cross Keys
Ranked #79 of 439 Restaurants in Swindon
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Much improved after refit”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I went to the Cross Keys with my wife on the spur of the moment after hearing good reports and I must say the place looks completely different. We were surprised to see the car park quite full for a Wednesday evening. The start wasn't to good as we were somewhat ignored at the bar but when we got past that we were shown to a table and we ordered our food. We both chose to have their much acclaimed burger which I have to say was very good if not overly hot. all in all a good experience. Some say its expensive but I think you get what you pay for and I enjoyed my meal as did my Wife. when we left, the place was absolutely rammed. This used to be the place to go for a quiet pint as it was very poorly supported. To get this many people out midweek speaks for itself.

Sking68, Owner at The Cross Keys, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Thanks for taking the time to review us. We have talked amongst the team around making sure we greet people as quickly as possible and we will aim to do that. It is sometimes difficult as we do have some who just want a quiet drink, that said obviously in your case you felt ignored which should never happen and apologies for that.

We hope to see you again soon and please say hello so that we can discuss further, we really want to be the best.

Swindon, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Savoy, London, prices, Savoy, Swindon, quality.”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

After reading rave reviews for this pub on Tripadvisor it seemed a great place to try out for the wife's birthday last week. On entering we were very pleased with our choice, as others have said, decor and ambience first class, probably the nicest bar/restaurant area we've seen locally. Quite busy for a midweek night, so a good atmosphere helped by the friendly staff. Previous reviewers have praised the Wanburger and hand cut chips, so my brother-in-law and I chose that, the two ladies the beer battered Haddock. Considering we had ordered food that was fairly simple to cook and prepare there was a surprisingly long wait for it to arrive, 30-40 mins, and in the case of the Wanburgers utter disappointment when it did. Instead of a thick juicy patty we got two small overcooked dry patties, separated by a small squirt of Emmental cheese, topped with an almost undetectable burger relish. Equally disappointing were the chips, possibly not twice cooked, or fried at too low a temperature, either way they were greasy and soggy, not crisp and golden. Haddock was ok. When you are paying £11 for a burger, that burger had better be close to being one of the best you have ever tasted, this wasn't even in the same post code! Out of interest I checked Time Outs ten best burgers in London, only two were dearer, and one of them was in the bistro at the 5 star Mandarin Hotel. We're not sure what we had for dessert. We ordered the Orange Chocolate Cheesecake, and I dare say that's what we were given, but it neither looked or tasted like any Cheesecake we have tasted in 40 odd years. No biscuit base, no mascarpone/cream cheese flavour. Did the normal Chef have the night off? That's the only explanation for us having such disappointing meals, yet the pub gets generally great reviews. Finally the bill, £91 for the four of us including a bottle of house wine and a couple of pints. Oh yes the pints, £4.30 for a Henry IPA, a weak beer, but by some distance the most I've paid for a pint of bitter in a pub, and that includes London!

Sking68, Owner at The Cross Keys, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
I'm sorry we let you down in this way. I'm trying to understand when you came so that I can find out why we didn't see you weren't enjoying yourself and indeed who was cooking as our staff and generally myself try and make sure we talk to each table about their experience.
We didn't have Chocolate and Orange cheesecake on last night which is why I know it must have been another night.
As you have said our reviews have been good and that is no accident which is why Id like to understand more.
If you have the time please contact me on info@crosskeyswanborough.com with a telephone number and I'd love to talk it through with you.
Hawarden, Wales, United Kingdom
“Fantastic pub.”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This was our first visit to this pub. On arrival we were greeted by friendly staff who were very accommodating for a family of four. They suggested we sat down and they brought the menus and drinks over. The interior of the pub was fashionable but homely and the menu was concise and had everything you wished for. The duck and the pork belly were absolutely gorgeous and the sticky toffee pudding was to die for. Service was excellent to say it was a busy Saturday night and that we had just walked in. We would definitely visit again.

Sking68, Owner at The Cross Keys, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to review us. The pork belly is our top selling dish great to hear why.

Thanks again and see you soon
Swindon
“Good quality food in a great pub”
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have eaten several times at the pub since it opened. The decor and ambience is great and the staff are friendly. On each occasion we thoroughly enjoyed our meal, and I'd certainly recommend the duck and belly of pork as they were outstanding. We have recommended the pub to our friends and family and will certainly go back.

Visited March 2014
Sking68, Owner at The Cross Keys, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Thanks for your review Mark, we really appreciate your time in doing so.

Hopefully see you again soon
Swindon
“Where do they get their beer prices from”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Went to lunch with a friend, first time there since the new management took over. Impressed with decor and food and the ambiance they are tring to achieve, but when we looked at the bill the beer prices were unbelievable. This must be the most expensive pint in Swindon, and I include all the major hotels in the area.

It somewhat put a dampner on the lunch. Sorry happy to pay my way but think the beer prices are way over the top.

Sking68, Owner at The Cross Keys, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review and I'm really happy you enjoyed your meal.

Drinks pricing is always a contentious issue but we have tried to make our range as wide as possible with draught pints sold between £3.60-£5.00 of course based on what we purchase the product for.

I hope this explains our pricing further, many thanks