“A Great Place to Eat........”
Review of The Cross Keys

The Cross Keys
Ranked #61 of 465 Restaurants in Swindon
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Thank you so much to everyone at the Cross Keys for the wonderful meals I have so enjoyed. I have eaten here many times and have recommended and taken many friends who all thoroughly enjoyed your hospitality and food. The atmosphere and décor is really relaxing. The service too is relaxing........friends we took today commented how nice it was to have a leisurely Sunday lunch with no rush. Everyone was attentive and nothing to too much trouble. Looking forward to the Summer for your al fresco dining to start! Keep up the good work....we'll be back......and will keep recommending.

Sking68, Owner at The Cross Keys, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review us our whole team appreciate it as we look daily.

See you again soon I hope

Reviewed 13 March 2014

We were a table of 6 booked in at short notice on Saturday 8th, we were asked if we could come at 6pm as they were busy and we were more than happy to.

I chose The Cross Keys as I'd heard from friends it had been taken over and re-vamped. Love the decor, not pretentious just warm friendly and inviting but in a stylish way.

We were greeted by friendly staff and received great service all evening. We never felt rushed and were allowed to enjoy the experience over a good couple of hours. Great choice of beer and wine. The food was excellent, yes a little on the high side (£10 for 3 scallops) however, it averaged out at £70.00 per couple including 3 courses and drinks. To be honest, I've paid similar at other places and had lesser food and bad service so over all I was very happy. So much so we're coming back this Friday lunch to celebrate my husbands birthday.

Really like what they've done with The Cross Keys, looking forward to cycling over in the summer and enjoying the garden which is undergoing a make over and the wood fired pizza oven that the owner told us about.

See you tomorrow!

Thanks for taking the time to review us we really appreciate it.

Hope to see you soon

Reviewed 13 March 2014

I went to the Cross Keys with my wife on the spur of the moment after hearing good reports and I must say the place looks completely different. We were surprised to see the car park quite full for a Wednesday evening. The start wasn't to good as we were somewhat ignored at the bar but when we got past that we were shown to a table and we ordered our food. We both chose to have their much acclaimed burger which I have to say was very good if not overly hot. all in all a good experience. Some say its expensive but I think you get what you pay for and I enjoyed my meal as did my Wife. when we left, the place was absolutely rammed. This used to be the place to go for a quiet pint as it was very poorly supported. To get this many people out midweek speaks for itself.

Thanks for taking the time to review us. We have talked amongst the team around making sure we greet people as quickly as possible and we will aim to do that. It is sometimes difficult as we do have some who just want a quiet drink, that said obviously in your case you felt ignored which should never happen and apologies for that.

We hope to see you again soon and please say hello so that we can discuss further, we really want to be the best.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

After reading rave reviews for this pub on Tripadvisor it seemed a great place to try out for the wife's birthday last week. On entering we were very pleased with our choice, as others have said, decor and ambience first class, probably the nicest bar/restaurant area we've seen locally. Quite busy for a midweek night, so a good atmosphere helped by the friendly staff. Previous reviewers have praised the Wanburger and hand cut chips, so my brother-in-law and I chose that, the two ladies the beer battered Haddock. Considering we had ordered food that was fairly simple to cook and prepare there was a surprisingly long wait for it to arrive, 30-40 mins, and in the case of the Wanburgers utter disappointment when it did. Instead of a thick juicy patty we got two small overcooked dry patties, separated by a small squirt of Emmental cheese, topped with an almost undetectable burger relish. Equally disappointing were the chips, possibly not twice cooked, or fried at too low a temperature, either way they were greasy and soggy, not crisp and golden. Haddock was ok. When you are paying £11 for a burger, that burger had better be close to being one of the best you have ever tasted, this wasn't even in the same post code! Out of interest I checked Time Outs ten best burgers in London, only two were dearer, and one of them was in the bistro at the 5 star Mandarin Hotel. We're not sure what we had for dessert. We ordered the Orange Chocolate Cheesecake, and I dare say that's what we were given, but it neither looked or tasted like any Cheesecake we have tasted in 40 odd years. No biscuit base, no mascarpone/cream cheese flavour. Did the normal Chef have the night off? That's the only explanation for us having such disappointing meals, yet the pub gets generally great reviews. Finally the bill, £91 for the four of us including a bottle of house wine and a couple of pints. Oh yes the pints, £4.30 for a Henry IPA, a weak beer, but by some distance the most I've paid for a pint of bitter in a pub, and that includes London!

Sking68, Owner at The Cross Keys, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

I'm sorry we let you down in this way. I'm trying to understand when you came so that I can find out why we didn't see you weren't enjoying yourself and indeed who was cooking as our staff and generally myself try and make sure we talk to each table about their experience.
We didn't have Chocolate and Orange cheesecake on last night which is why I know it must have been another night.
As you have said our reviews have been good and that is no accident which is why Id like to understand more.
If you have the time please contact me on info@crosskeyswanborough.com with a telephone number and I'd love to talk it through with you.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

This was our first visit to this pub. On arrival we were greeted by friendly staff who were very accommodating for a family of four. They suggested we sat down and they brought the menus and drinks over. The interior of the pub was fashionable but homely and the menu was concise and had everything you wished for. The duck and the pork belly were absolutely gorgeous and the sticky toffee pudding was to die for. Service was excellent to say it was a busy Saturday night and that we had just walked in. We would definitely visit again.

Sking68, Owner at The Cross Keys, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us. The pork belly is our top selling dish great to hear why.

Thanks again and see you soon