“Really nice experience”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The new owners have given this place a new lease of life. The menu isn't extensive but it's good. It's fresh, homemade and great quality. Big big improvement!

Sking68, Owner at The Cross Keys, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your time very much

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

On first impressions setting is lovely, clean and well designed - unfortunately food failed to live up to setting. We had 3 meals, one having to be returned inedible - chicken Caesar salad - sounds simple but over cooked chicken, stale lettuce and anchovies? Not ideal I'm afraid so won't be returning very soon unless improvements made.

2  Thank cariad6
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We met friends at the Cross Keys last night for dinner. We sometimes visited the pub under it's previous incarnation as a traditional country pub and after reading the recent reviews we expected to have a great meal....we didn't. I will list the points as pro or con for ease.

Con - After trying to catch the eye of waiting staff for 15 minutes my daughter went and asked for menus.

Con - Having perused the menu and made our selections we tried to catch the eye of waiting staff to place our order and after another 15 minutes gave up waiting and had to call out to a waitress.

Pro - We ordered two venison steaks, a rib eye steak (medium), chorizo pasta and a burger. After a few minutes the waitress returned and told us that a large party had placed their orders just before us and so we would have to wait a little longer than normal.

Con - Two venison steaks arrived at the table, followed by a 10 minute wait for the remaining three meals.

Pro - Food presentation was lovely.

Pro - The pasta dish was very nice.

Con - The burger was dry.

Con - Both venison were overcooked and completely dried out but the sauce was very nice. Venison is a lovely rich juicy meat, but not when it has been cooked to the point of cremation!

Con - The rib-eye was very fatty and was cooked to well-done rather than medium as ordered.

Con - At no point did we have a 'check back' from the waiting staff.

Con - The level of service, attention to customers orders, cooking ability and quality of the food was disappointing.

Con - The bar appeared to have sufficient staff but as the majority were committed to serving table orders that left one, obviously new, barman to serve all other customers. He struggled as he was unfamiliar with the bar.

Pro - The bar manager did allow wine tasters at the bar prior to ordering.

As a regular restaurant client, all over Europe I am used to varying degrees of service and quality of food and I review according to how the restaurant presents itself. If presented with an extensive menu I expect the restaurant to be able to deliver everything on the menu well.

The menu at the Cross Keys is extensive and very ambitious for a pub with a very small kitchen and (as I saw when I looked in later) young and inexperienced kitchen staff. I suggest that the menu is reduced to about half of the choices and that the staff (waiting and kitchen) are able to concentrate on doing fewer things well rather than as now lots of things moderately badly.

I have no problem whatsoever paying around £20 for a steak when it is well cooked and well presented but for what we received last night the menu is over-priced.

2  Thank Duke_family_x_6
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We live in the area and are lucky to have a wonderful pub in our village of Bishopstone where we eat regularly, but we decided to drive to the Cross Keys as we had been to the opening event and have eaten there a few times before and had ,had a lovely well priced meal.When we arrived we were given a 'specials' menu 3 course for £15 so we thought it sounded good so we all went for that menu. The portions were tiny, the chips were hard;the risotto was bland and undercooked and the chocolate brownie with ice cream was served in a tumbler that's how small it was! If my 91 year old grandmother hasn't been with us we would have complained, however we reluctantly paid the £70+ bill and left! I've told lots of people how nice the pub is as we always try to support local business but I won't be recommending it again! What went wrong ? You did have it so right?!

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I booked a table to take my team (3 others) out for lunch to celebrate a project well done. The menu was good with a good selection. The service was good, drinks and food arrived in a timely manner. The food was well cooked and nicely presented and tasted delicious.
I will certainly return for a social event.

1  Thank Twinkle233