“Great meal, highly recommended in our opinion!”
Review of The Cross Keys

The Cross Keys
Ranked #73 of 449 Restaurants in Swindon
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

A lovely pub, very good food. Lovely modern decor inside, with great food and best of all it's not overpriced for the quality! My husband and I both had the pork belly and it was cooked perfectly, followed by very good desserts. There was a lovely atmosphere and the staff were fantastic, even on a busy Saturday night. We will definitely be returning soon to sample more of the delightful menu.

1  Thank Hegarts
Sking68, Owner at The Cross Keys, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us, we really do appreciate it!

Reviewed 31 July 2014

First impressions very good - lovely looking grounds and decor is very nice. Surprisingly non-traditional as you might expect from the outside.

It wasn't clear to us how to go about getting a table, or the ordering process. Signage may prove to be useful, as we took a table outside and weren't offered menus (or an acknowledgment for that matter). Eventually one of our group ventured inside to ask for menus, which we were given and told somebody would come to take our order. Nice selection, but no "light bite" options or sandwiches/baguettes which would have been nice.
Took menus back to the table and sat around for ages...nobody came over to ask us if we wanted a drink, never mind order food. Went back in to order at the bar, asked for table number (there wasn't one on our table), but it was eventually figured out after somebody followed me outside to physically check.
The wait for food was LONG. It's as simple as that. I appreciate that it was a busy weekend, but waiting almost an hour for 4 meals was patience testing at best.
I ordered the Rib-Eye Steak - cooked very nicely but didn't come with any kind of sauce, which was a let down. Wife ordered Fish and Chips - the fish was large, but the portion of chips was small and the batter was greasy.
Waited a good 20 minutes for the table to be cleared, even though we stacked the dishes ourselves. Waited another 20 minutes to be brought desert menus. Had to go back in to the bar to order more drinks (preferable to waiting a lifetime outside).

We had read some excellent reviews online, and had been recommended the pub by our friends, so had high expectations. Sadly, these just weren't met.

The food was distinctly average, and service almost non-existent. Wouldn't describe it as "Terrible", but it's not on our "Will Return" list, sorry.

2  Thank LeeChamb

This is really disappointing news, we've had a full team meeting following this review because it shouldn't ever have been this complicated.

I would love to discuss it further at some point if you feel like it.

I can be contacted at the pub and if Im not there someone will take you're number and I will call you back.

Sheila
01793 790302

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Just home from enjoying two for one pizzas at The Cross Keys - absolutely brilliant - lovely place, smart decor, friendly, helpful staff - we will return - want to sample the rest of the menu!

Sking68, Owner at The Cross Keys, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thanks for your review. We'd lost heart in trip advisor with some rogue reviews one of which we got removed.

Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

We used to visit the Cross Keys regularly, however hadn't been for a few years. I took my toddler along with me and although there is a small play park, the pub is really not child.friendly. There is no childs menu, the main menu is really unvaried and boring and the BBQ salads etc were out on a table in 24 degree heat, not refrigerated! We opted for fish and chips, which would have been lovely had it not have been for the grease dripping out. In my opinion, the Cross Keys had a much lovelier feel when it was a proper country pub with good sized pub meals available and goats in the garden! I wouldn't hurry to return

2  Thank Leah B

Thank you for your comments. Thankfully not everyone agrees

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

After hearing great reviews, I was expecting a nice meal out.
Unfortunately this was not to be!
The main issue was the service. It wasn't busy. There were lots of staff about, some not doing anything/looking lost, some chatting to each other. It took a while for them to take our order, and when the food arrived we were disappointed. The quality didn't justify the price. After, the waitress have us the dessert menu, then didn't come back to take an order. We asked for the bill, and again, it took a while for the waiter to take payment and we had to ask for it to be done. I very much doubt that I will be returning.

1  Thank hannahlp15

Thank you for your comments clearly we let you down. I do apologise