“Used to eat here.”

The Bolingbroke Hotel,Pub & Restaurant
Ranked #130 of 434 Restaurants in Swindon
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Swindon, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Used to eat here.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Used to eat here and recommended this place to friends but had bad food, bad seating and poor service so give this place a miss now. We booked for a party of 12 in Dec 2012 ( its a late review but still feel relevant). We were not placed in the restaurant but in the pub area by the door. Were constantly subjected to waitresses squeezing in between ourselves and the bar. Door constantly opening and closing causing draughts. It appeared that the place was over-booked. Food was definitely below par. Fillet steaks tough. Veg not nice. Not wanting to spoil our party evening we all put up with it but it was very disappointing. Wrote to the landlord but he did not even have the decency to reply.

• Visited April 2013

Swindon, United Kingdom
“Poor Quality of food & Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

My family and I had Sunday lunch here, quality of food was very poor, all four of us leaving the food due to the poor quality, Manager very argumentive, insisted food was good! did not want to listen to our views, infact refused to even talk to us inside! asked to step outside to discuss! complained to Arkells Brewery who own the pub, no reply! no response! Such poor service!!! Will not visit again! a total waste of £80!!!!!!

• Visited October 2013
Warwick
“Pleasant Staff, Decent Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

My Sunday Roast special was very good beef and Yorkshire, although it was not hot enough, compared to the vegetables which were. The staff were very busy and it was not easy to raise the issue until too late when we were asked how it was and I told them. They offered no explanation or compensation. Given how busy it was, and we were glad we had a booking, this was not surprising.
The puddings were expensive for what was a pub restaurant which is part of a small hotel facility ( eight bedrooms). My bakewell tart was ordinary and very small.
We were in the bar where the atmosphere was pleasant although a little spoilt by noisy children. Our table was not relaxing as it was close to bar, till and door but that was our responsibility I admit. The main restaurant, which has the same menu, looked very pleasant.

• Visited November 2013
essex
“Very Happy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Stayed one night at the hotel for business and was very happy with everything especially the price. Got the room for £50 and then had the option to have an evening meal for £10. When I arrived I asked about the £10 option and what was covered. There was a specials board with lot's of lovely meals and this had veal on the menu at about £16. I was told that there may be a couple of pounds to pay extra if I wanted that. I went for the Beef bourguignon in the end that was priced at £11.95, but it's still a few pounds off what I would expect to pay £15 for and was delicious.
As for the the rest of the meals coming out of the kitchen that i observed, there was about a 30 min wait but everything that came out looked excellent and nobody left much that I saw, and having stopped in far too many hotels over 18 years I was more then happy to be here.
As for the room that I stayed in, it was big enough and more than clean enough and as far as nice things go, the toilet roll was of top quality (no tracing paper for those that can remember).
In the morning I was resolute that I would not pay £10 for breakfast no matter how good it is and no matter that the company I work for pay the bill, this is a big no for me. After enquiring about breakfast the owners ( I assume) said that they could do a small breakfast (1 sausage, 1 bacon, fried egg, toast) for £5 which is all I can face early in the morning anyway. It was perfect (except no beans) I did ask if this was possible and was very happy when this was done that made it perfect for me ( I know that baked beans is a Marmite moment for some people).
Overall I will definetly stay here again.
Ok, must say the the only down side was the smell of S**t from the surrounding fields but hey, it is in the country.

Personally I think that if they made the breakfast about £7.95 as standard they would have more people taking this option.

• Visited September 2013
Midhurst
“We stayed and ate... mixed views....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed at this Pub for the August bank holiday weekend, the food was good in the evening, the cooked breakfast was ok, not sure it was worth £10 though.

As for the accommodation, not great unfortunately, the bed was really uncomfortable and lumpy pillows and my son had a Z bed in the room (very comfy) but this squeaked every time he moved, and he is a wriggler during the night, so not the best nights sleep. Very tired room, with just spending a small amount of money in the rooms I think it could be really good, carpets need changing in the hall ways as was very dirty looking (but probably more worn than anything), good size room though and we could have fitted a further Z bed in (this was the £60 room, not £50 - room 8).

We found the owners and waitresses really nice and helpful though, so if the B&B was a bit better we wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, not with the hard mattress and lumpy pillows though....

• Visited August 2013