“Too hit and miss”

Mackenzies Swindon
Ranked #187 of 465 Restaurants in Swindon
Price range: US$4 - US$18
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of lovely and picturesque Old Town area. Here at Mackenzies we offer all day informal casual dining -Great Breakfast, Great Tapas and Gourmet Burgers amongst other delicious choice from our menu - together with our selection of premium draught world beers & real ales, superb cocktails and extensive wine listings by the glass & bottle. A great place to meet your friends and be looked after, whether for coffee, food or drinks, amongst tasteful decor whether on our Ground fFoor, First Floor in the Galleries or alfresco in our lovely garden & decked terrace. We look forward to seeing you any day of the week for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner, we seat 90 covers inside our Cafe Bar on Ground Floor, a further 60 in the Galleries and 90 covers in the garden and decked terrace
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We used to eat here A LOT - at least once a week - but as the title says, it's become very hit and miss. They seem to have a relatively high turnover of front of house staff and I wonder whether the same is true of the kitchen staff.

The breakfasts used to be fantastic, in fact on my wedding day our entourage breakfasted there before our ceremony, but nowadays you can never be sure what it's going to be like. The sausages can be the best in Swindon, or they can be rock hard and reheated. The bacon can be juicy and succulent, or it can be dried out and tired. It's reached the point now that if we go at breakfast time I resort to non-breakfast food. That has, however, allowed me to discover that their pizza is actually very good.

It's too convenient for me to see I won;t be back - as I know I will - but I just wish I had more confidence in its quality, which I would if there was more consistency.

Swindon M, General Manager at Mackenzies Swindon, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Hello Nicky

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you feel our food is not consistent as this is out of the ordinary and we strive to offer food and service at the highest possible standard. We are glad that you do still visit us and hope to see you again in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 25 May 2014

A great place for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just drinks. A great selection of tapas at good prices, a buzzing place to be on a Saturday night but if you want a table get there early.

1  Thank Foxyvegaschick
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

My partner and I went to Mackenzies for lunch and decided to try the tapas that they offer. However, I was a bit confused with what was on the tapas menu. There were some very traditional tapas dishes such as patatas bravas and chorizo, sitting along side filled potato skins. We plumped for a selection with calamari, houmous, meat selection and meat balls. The flat bread served houmous was just plain sliced brown bread and the calamari had the appearance of chips. The meat selection looked like something you would pick up from the Waitrose chiller cabinet. Don't get me wrong there was nothing wrong with the food but when you are paying £35 for two people including drinks (£4.10 for a Stella? this is Swindon not London) you expect a little bit of finesse. I have eaten at Mackenzies before, more traditional bar food which has been really nice so would return there again, but for tapas I would head back to Los Gatos opposite.

1  Thank 53jamiew
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Me and my friends visited Mackenzie's over the bank holiday, the food was so yummy - I had a club chicken doorstop sandwich. It was HUGE, very good value for money with fresh chips and a tasty salad garnish. I only had to wait 10 minutes and it overcame my expectations and the service was on point also. It was evidently busy and the staff were quick to serve me and the server was very polite and made sure everything was accounted for. We also had BOGOF cocktails which were delightful. I would recommend 'woo woo' ( I believe that's what is was called). I would definitely go there again and try the tapas, it looked delicious - GREAT FOOD GREAT SERVICE GREAT FOOD GREAT STAFF GREAT MEAL

1  Thank Sara27839
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Used to quite busy in the mornings with excellent breakfasts

Now it's dead quiet with horrible reheated breakfasts. Which caused the other I can't say