“Only for drinks! !”

Mackenzies Swindon
Ranked #156 of 442 Restaurants in Swindon
Price range: US$4 - US$16
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of lovely and picturesque Old Town area. Here at Mackenzies we offer all day informal casual dining -Great Breakfast, Great Tapas and Gourmet Burgers amongst other delicious choice from our menu - together with our selection of premium draught world beers & real ales, superb cocktails and extensive wine listings by the glass & bottle. A great place to meet your friends and be looked after, whether for coffee, food or drinks, amongst tasteful decor whether on our Ground fFoor, First Floor in the Galleries or alfresco in our lovely garden & decked terrace. We look forward to seeing you any day of the week for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner, we seat 90 covers inside our Cafe Bar on Ground Floor, a further 60 in the Galleries and 90 covers in the garden and decked terrace
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Only for drinks! !”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We came here as we were staying at the marriot for the weekend. We sat in the beer garden during the afternoon which was nice and decided to go inside and eat around 6. We just ordered the fish and chips as it was a Friday and on offer at 6.95. Well we were extremely disappointed. The chips and mushy peas were cold and fish just a cheap fried piece with not much flavour. I did ask for some more chips and they did arrive eventually but were very greasy. We visited again on the sat evening during happy hour. I was very happy with my cocktails and 2.50 for fosters is good then but very expensive out of these hours. I was surprised how quiet it was for a sat night but the old town does have some nice places now so maybe meckenzies need to lift their game!! This is still quite a nice bar but I think I wouldn't eat in here again.

Swindon M, General Manager at Mackenzies Swindon, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Madam

Thank you for your review.

Apologies for the standard of food you received on your visit to us. This has been passed on to both kitchen and floor staff as this is not normally the standard of food we provide to our guests.
We are glad you enjoyed the rest of your visits with us and I hope you will visit us again in the future.

Cornwall
“Great place to eat!”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Had an enjoyable evening here mid-week. Food arrived quickly and was really tasty, plentiful and well presented (we had the tapas) and with a bottle of house wine for less than a tenner was really good value. Happy hour was on too with two for one cocktails - ideal!

• Visited August 2014
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your lovely feedback and we're happy you enjoyed our food and happy hour!

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Wiltshire
“Too hit and miss”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We used to eat here A LOT - at least once a week - but as the title says, it's become very hit and miss. They seem to have a relatively high turnover of front of house staff and I wonder whether the same is true of the kitchen staff.

The breakfasts used to be fantastic, in fact on my wedding day our entourage breakfasted there before our ceremony, but nowadays you can never be sure what it's going to be like. The sausages can be the best in Swindon, or they can be rock hard and reheated. The bacon can be juicy and succulent, or it can be dried out and tired. It's reached the point now that if we go at breakfast time I resort to non-breakfast food. That has, however, allowed me to discover that their pizza is actually very good.

It's too convenient for me to see I won;t be back - as I know I will - but I just wish I had more confidence in its quality, which I would if there was more consistency.

• Visited May 2014
Swindon M, General Manager at Mackenzies Swindon, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Hello Nicky

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you feel our food is not consistent as this is out of the ordinary and we strive to offer food and service at the highest possible standard. We are glad that you do still visit us and hope to see you again in the future.

Wellingborough, United Kingdom
“Lovely selection of tapas”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

A great place for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just drinks. A great selection of tapas at good prices, a buzzing place to be on a Saturday night but if you want a table get there early.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Foxyvegaschick
Swindon, United Kingdom
“A tad confused”
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

My partner and I went to Mackenzies for lunch and decided to try the tapas that they offer. However, I was a bit confused with what was on the tapas menu. There were some very traditional tapas dishes such as patatas bravas and chorizo, sitting along side filled potato skins. We plumped for a selection with calamari, houmous, meat selection and meat balls. The flat bread served houmous was just plain sliced brown bread and the calamari had the appearance of chips. The meat selection looked like something you would pick up from the Waitrose chiller cabinet. Don't get me wrong there was nothing wrong with the food but when you are paying £35 for two people including drinks (£4.10 for a Stella? this is Swindon not London) you expect a little bit of finesse. I have eaten at Mackenzies before, more traditional bar food which has been really nice so would return there again, but for tapas I would head back to Los Gatos opposite.

1 Thank 53jamiew