“Never fails”

Ranked #23 of 448 Restaurants in Swindon
Price range: US$5 - US$34
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Plough on the Hill is one minute from Junction 15 on the M4. An ideal meeting place and is a refurbished Gastro Pub serving freshly cooked food. We provide free wifi and welcome customers from 10am and are open all day.
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This was the 4th time we called into the Plough en route from Winchester to Swansea. The food is always cooked to order and is well presented. The menu is varied suiting many tastes. We love the Kangaroo strips which are cooked rare and succulent although this time we had king prawns and Thai fish cakes. The sauce accompanying the fish cakes was lovely, not too spicy for lunch but with enough tang for our taste.
The staff are friendly and efficient serving and clearing away quickly. All in all a pleasurable lunch.

There are newer reviews for The Plough on the Hill

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Recently I was lucky enough to be invited to a family meal to celebrate my in-laws 50th Wedding Anniversary and I'm delighted to say we had the most wonderful time. We were welcomed warmly upon arrival and were served drinks quickly by the patient bar staff who didn't appear at all phased but listened patiently whilst some of my group changed their minds several times as to what they wished to drink.

As it was such a lovely evening some of us ventured out into the garden to take photos whilst our food was being cooked. Very soon we were ready to be seated. I regularly enjoy meals out but this had to be the best steak and ale pie I have EVER tasted. The pastry was just perfect and the meat seemed to melt on my tongue. I'm a very slow eater and this was an evening to catch up with family we don't see regularly but I'm afraid I wasn't going to risk not finishing all of my food so was quieter than usual whilst I savoured the delicious tastes. I imagine my in-laws must already have known the chef would do them proud before they booked the tables here. The staff kept a close but discreet eye on us checking regularly that all were OK for drinks etc and nothing was too much trouble for them. My folks were delighted at how everything had gone and I will certainly be returning with friends before too long to try some of their other dishes. Give them a try and you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We recently visited this pub for a meal, the staff were friendly and informative, the menu was quite large. I was feeling quiet adventurous and selected the trio of meats, kangaroo, wild boar and crocodile my wife had the Ostrich, after a short wait the meals arrived (wish I had taken a photo).

The meal was faultless and very well presented, the meats were cooked to perfection the whole meal was faultless and we though value for money. We cannot recommend this pub highly enough for a meal or that special occasion keep the good work and we look forward to returning soon.

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

We came here because it's so close to the M4 and we were looking for an alternative to service station food.

There is a good range of beers and the food was of reasonable pub-grub quality with large portions. The beef and Stilton pie was great, though my wife felt that the seafood tagliatelle had been over-herbed.

Unfortunately, what ruined this place for us was the time taken for the food to arrive. We had made a reservation for 20:30 and arrived and ordered by this time. The food finally arrived at 21:20.

A 50 minute wait is unacceptable for a stop-over for dinner on a journey. If service had taken less than half an hour then we'd have been coming back regularly. As it is, we'll be looking at other options.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Had a lovely meal here with my partner and son for his fathers day treat. We had a lovely time and enjoyed our food very much. Am pleased that the chef and staff know about gluten free cooking. As a Coeliac its great to find somewhere that caters well. Thank you :)