“Great food!”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Have been to the Rangoli quite a few times, both in the restaurant and to get takeaways and the food is consistently good. I like the fact it has things that you don't find anywhere else, and that there's always a good mix of English and Indian people there.

The waiting staff were really nice - happy to explain what things were, checking that all was ok with our food and making sure we had enough to drink!

So, to the food:
Onion bhaji: tasty, spicy morsels
Ghobi pakoda: A cauliflower version of a bhaji - really nicely spiced
Bhel puri: the menu says 'a classic puff rice, served with chutneys'. This was amazing (apparently an Indian street food) - like a spicy, crunchy, soft version of the best Bombay mix you've ever had! You get loads too - probably best to share! You have to try it - I just can't describe it!
Railway lamb curry: the signature dish - slow cooked lamb in a spicy, cinnamony sauce - delicious!
Madras chicken - really spicy but probably the most disappointing; I think, if we'd had just this, it would have been fine, but it didn't have the depth of flavour of everything else.
Saag chicken: Not very spicy, but with a great depth of flavour and almost creamy. A great colour, due to the sheer amount of spinach
Naan: Tasted freshly cooked

In the past I've also had the Kerala fish curry, which is awesome and incredibly spicy!

Would definitely recommend this to anyone.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

This hidden little gem is amazing. This is the third time I've been here and it gets better each time.
The vegetarian food is second to none. I never know what I'm going to eat there, I just go along with the great recommendations from the waiters.
You have to try their amazing Golgappa as a starter. I had never heard of them but they blew my mind! Equally the Bhel Puri.
It is great to have a different selection of vegetarian dishes to choose from instead of the ususal suspects.
I highly recommend any of their Paneer dishes, for me they are the best I've ever had.

Ever wondered where the Indian families eat in Swindon? Wonder no more.

Come on Swindon, support this great little restaurant.

1  Thank Moonraker313
Reviewed 27 March 2014

It was a great experience in Rangoli today. I was influenced with review which said Chef/owner was working in a Banaras restaurant in London run by famous chef Atul Kocher.

Experience in Rangoli was amazing starters like masala papadam and Egg pakoda was very tasty and main course chicken teeka masala with cheese Naan bread was very delicious. And in desert first time ever i tried tandoori pineapple with ice cream which amazed me.

All over it was a great experience in Rangoli.
I would highly recommend Rangoli for authentic Indian taste.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I had takeaway during xmas time and rice were sticky, we gave a try again based on recommendation. First impression was very annoying as we entered in restaurant but no one was there for welcome although restaurant was not that much busy, only few tables were there.

Our table was next to viewing window and we had clear view of kitchen. It was shocking to see there are no basic hygiene in this place. It is ashamed for restaurant as we heard good reviews but now we know how it is delivering. Does anyone know basic hygiene in this place? The rice for pilau, biryani and boiled rice are precooked and reheated in microwave for service. Even from viewing window it is clear that most of stuffs are precooked and reheated in microwave before serving. The table cutlery and glasses are having finger prints everywhere. Waiters and other staffs are using mobile during service and without washing hands they are handling foods. From viewing window it is clearly visible that there is no clear washing up methods and they don’t have dishwasher, even no dishwasher for bar glasses, everything goes to one place without any hygiene procedure. We show kitchen porter was doing washing up and she has been asked to come and help in food preparation and she came to help without washing hands. I wonder why my tummy was upset next morning. Sorry rangoli we have expected good hygiene in restaurant and increased in rating but you have only achieved rating 2 in FSA from 1 in one and half year time period which makes me think before eating in this place. The service is not upto the standard the waiters are having attitude and you fill that they don’t want you in the restaurant. It is ashamed for chef who worked in big restaurants and don’t know or follow the basic hygiene in his own restaurant.

4  Thank James E
Rang0li, Owner at New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Hello Mr. James,
Rangoli would appreciate for your time for feedback.
We understand as per business rivalry you have all rights for criticism but on a POSITIVE note we would take this as a motivation to add more stars to our performance.

To answer your feedback:
We would like to mention that there would be no restaurants displaying there kitchen, if they are not hygiene enough as per the standards.
To add on to it we have efficient and certified staff to deliver utmost service.
Also to add to your knowledge we are health and hygiene certified by local authority in Swindon.
We would like to correct your wrong information about our standard FSA ratings.
We would appreciate if you give us the chance to serve you again, as we value all our customers.

Thanking you
Team Rangoli....

Reviewed 22 March 2014

The chef/owner at Rangoli used to work at Benares in London. While I realise Rangoli doesn't have the same fine touches in terms of decor etc., it's a growing business and such refinements will come in time. What Rangoli has above all else are passionate staff plus incredible and interesting food.

If you want the same old "British" Indian food and service, then yes, you may be disappointed, but if you want good tasty and interesting food, well cooked and delivered with generosity and charm, then please enjoy this gem which is well supported by the local Indian community which is a testimony to it's authenticity.

Don't expect the ordinary and please don't judge it against the ordinary. It is different and in my view better and I'm so glad they chose Swindon to to start their restaurant.