“An ok restaurant”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Swindon, England
“An ok restaurant”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Went here with family (son, daughter in law and granddaughter) on a Saturday night. the place wasn't busy but the staff were friendly and attentive without being overly intrusive. As other reviewers have commented, the choice of drinks in a bit limited but I have to say the wine list is nice - a good choice of rose, red and white, including Cloudy Bay from New Zealand (one of my favourites).

The food was nice and portion sizes good (we didn't manage to finish all ours!). Everyone seemed to enjoy what they ordered. The bill for 4 adults and 1 child (who didn't really eat much) came to £96 including a bottle of rose wine, 4 pints of lager and two coffees. Strange that they don't serve desserts - perhaps the mangement should consider changing this policy. Average price I would say for this type of restaurant.

• Visited May 2014

Swindon, United Kingdom
“Being threatened by the manager was not the best way to spend an evening!!”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I would avoid this place like the plague. The manager was completely drunk and making suggestive comments to one of the girls in our party, kept asking her to go with him to the bar... he was groping a girl from another party when he had managed to persuade her to go behind the bar. He ran out of Jack Daniels so tried passing off plain coke to 4 of the guys in our party, then worst of all, when we complained he got physically aggressive, called one of the girls in our group an awful name, then called the group as a whole another insulting name and tried starting a fight. His staff had to drag him away and he then followed us outside shouting "COME ON THEN!" and raising his fists to us all, including the women. We spent £28pp for this shocking service!!
Do not go here nor to his other restaurant in Peatmoor.

• Visited March 2014
4 Thank ava_adorable
Swindon
“Service very good.”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Have been to the Bombay lounge on several occasions and have always found the staff extremely professional helpful and honest. The food has been very good in both restaurants and so we wentvthere for our Christmas do we were not disappointed.

• Visited December 2013
Swindon, United Kingdom
“A good addition to Swindon's restaurant pool”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We had friends visiting from outside Swindon and they suggested we go out for a curry. I struggled to thick where we could go that was slightly up-market from the usual and the décor did not look tired.
I saw the Bombay Lounge on the internet and liked the look of it, so we booked a table for 4.

The only negative was the lack of choice of beers (I was fine).

The positives were the food, all 4 of us commented on the high quality of the food and the above average taste due to the use of spices.

Service was great and efficient even though they were busy.

The manager was friendly and attentive, he gave us a tour of his kitchens

• Visited February 2014
Manchester
“OMG!!!!”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

If you have a look at my profile, you'll see that I don't write many reviews (only one in the past).

I usually only make the effort to write a review when I've been totally blown away with how nice my experience was or the exact opposite.

I'm a british, second generation Indian and my parents are indian. We know what we're talking about when it comes to Indian cuisine, so you could say we have been known to be overly skeptical and unforgiving when trying indian food. Having said that, I do feel that I would always give a fair review and consider all reasonable factors before being critical.

I am currently working away with work and staying in a hotel. I thought i'd drive over to order a meal for collection. I ordered the Garlic Chicken dish which they consider to be one of their 'Specialities'. I specifally requested my food to be extra spicy and the chicken to be cut into small pieces (any respectable Indian will tell you that smaller pieces absorb the flavour much better). The gentlemen taking my order advised the dish is of course very rich in garlic and he will tell the chef to make it home style indian hot!!.

Literally 10 mins later my curry was done, and the bag was ready to takeaway. If this curry was freshly made, it would have taken around 25- 40 minutes to make. Alarm bells started to ring but I still convinced myself to remain positive (because I was absolutely starving).

Having brought the curry back to the hotel, I decided to tuck in and I was lost for words. Despite being quite clear that I wanted small chicken pieces, the chef clearly chose to ignore this request as the pieces were the biggest I've ever seen in my life! Either that, or it could be that the chicken pieces are normally even bigger and he had actually reduced the size. The humongous was unbelievably chewy and dry and of course hadn't absorbed any flavour whatsoever (how surprising). It was also cleary evident that the chicken wasn't fresh. If that wasn't bad enough, the sauce was totally bland, no taste of garlic at all....I've tasted it more garlic in a bowl of sugar puffs. The sauce was completely tasteless and it seemed like the chef decided not to use or use very little onions and tomatoes, which are considered along with garlic to be the core ingredients of a curry. To add insult to injury, the dish was garnished with burn slices of garlic, that looked like toenails and had no taste.

I have been to many, many restaraunts and have had amazing, to average and even some poor curries. But I have never had such a poor excuse of a curry, it was absolutely disgusting, Despite the fact that I was starving, I couldn't eat more than three bites.

I have to say this is the worst curry I've ever had and I feel so insulted that I won't even drive on the same road as this restaraunt (that's a joke!!). On a serious note, I will not be ordering from their again, it's too risky to even give it a second chance.

For the people who have said that it was the best curry they've had, or that it is the best in Swindon I have to ask, are you serious?! It could be that it was a one off but it was clearly evident from the taste that the chef did not know what he was doing, missing out key ingredients and not following simple instructions. If the dish I had is the norm expected from this restaraunt then I would seriously avoid this place.

I do feel slightly guilty writing such a bad review but if this place wants to do well then it needs a new chef, preferably a chef who knows how to cook indian food. If the owners are reading this review, please please please get rid ot the chef you had on Wednesday night, especially if you want a bright future. I hope this review will be taken positively by the owners and they aim to improve from this.

Other factors worth talking about;
Price - I can't say it was reasonably priced, I wouldn't pay 1 pence for the dish I had. The dish should be used as a torture method, people would own up to any crime if they were made to finish that dish (even crimes they did not commit)

Service - As I ordered a takeaway I can't really comment, what I will say is the two guys I spoke to were very polite and friendly. Oh yeah, of course the food was made very quickly!!

Decor - The restaraunt was actually aesthetically pleasing, nice decor and ambient lighting. Nice place to take a date - just don't order any food, maybe order a few drinks?? ahem

Do you need me to comment on whether I'd go there again?, not even if i was dying of starvation.

Bombay Lounge guys if you're reading, get a new chef..that was truly shocking.

Sort it out, over and out!

• Visited January 2014