“Casual Visit”

Ranked #27 of 448 Restaurants in Swindon
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Spur of the moment visit one mid week evening. It was pie night which looked good value, however I opted for the Lambe Feta burger and the gf chose the chilli with tortillas and rice. My burger was excellent served with chunky chips, the gf enjoyed her chilli although it was quite as tasty as she had hoped. Good friendly service in a pub that has not changed much in years.

There are newer reviews for The Calley Arms

Reviewed 12 July 2014

My husband and I decided to go out for a meal in Aldbourne last night. After having a meal we found we were both still hungry so decided to pop into The Calley Arms for a pudding. Although they were very busy and they did warn us that food may be a while, the food actually did not take as long as we thought. The apple crumble was fabulous. We were very impressed with the service and the restaurant. I nice evening out.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Ate here on a Saturday evening and arrived at 19:15 and asked if we could get food (2 adults and 2 children) and was told it would be a long wait as they had a party of 12 in - but there were only 6 other people eating in total so only half full at best which seemed odd.

Service was OK, Food was Ok and beer was OK but nothing stood out. Had the pie which was a let down as it was a slice of a flan/quiche affair rather than a proper pie.

Ok to eat there if passing and no where else to go but wouldn't make a trip there.

2  Thank Henry S
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The Calley Arms is a traditional country pub, beckoning with old world charm and traditional decor. It's not just a place to drink good beer, wine, cider or even something a little stronger; it's a hub of social activity in the heart of the community; it’s a place for the meeting of minds, a tipsy night out with friends, or simply a retreat from the pressures of everyday life where a good pint and a friendly atmosphere can make all seem right with the world.

The food is also excellent - I'm not talking about Michelin star excellence; I'm talking about real food which takes time to prepare and comforts like a meal at your mum's house.
There are your tradtional pub dishes like fish & chips, pies, burgers as well as specials like venison and game. The food is always piping hot, great portions and fresh - and if you want to change something or want more, just ask!

Now, I'm not a fan of chunky chips - they are normally never quite cooked enough and I always feel cheated how few there are on the plate! But not at the Calley! These chips are cooked to perfection - soft in the middle, golden brown on the outside with the perfect amount of crispy bits!

The roast dinners are just like I would make at home - the vegetables are fresh not frozen, the potatoes crispy, the meat tender, the gravy made from the juices of the roasted meat, and portions are not oversized, leaving room for pudding!

Proper, honest, local pub grub at a great price is pretty hard to find these days but you can at the Calley!

2  Thank Carmen T
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Got to be one of the worst Sunday lunches I have had in a good while. Watery gravy roast chicken no stuffing and for the five of us who went barely enough veg for three more was provided when asked. Pineapple upside down pudding was a 3inch square of tasteless sponge. Will not be going again.

1  Thank praken