“Nice building, interesting food, otherwise average”

Stanton House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Nice building, interesting food, otherwise average”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Mostly a modern hotel which has been built to look authentic and it isn't a bad job. Pleasant gardens. Rooms are basic although the complimentary mini bar was great. The Japanese food options were very good and a great change. Not the best breakfast. The nearby Honda factory explains the mix of old English traditional and Japanese.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Hemmo1968

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Derby
Reviewed 7 May 2013

As a traveller who has a jaundiced view of Hotels in general i did not expect have any expectations of Stanton House living up to it's reputation, i offer my apologies to them becasue i was very wrong!!
Despite arriving without a confirmed reservation(my fault)the Receptionist was extremey patient while this was rectified,
My room was immaculate(actually classed a single but bed was three quarter)
Bathroom spotlessly clean.
As in a previous review this Hotel is geared to accomodate Honda personnel and hence Restaraunt is Japanese biased(with a few "basic" English options),as this was my first venture into Japanese food i sought the help of the staff who were very knowledgeable (and patient) in helping me to decide on what to eat( I had a pre-conceived all Japanese food was Raw Fish!!)
Dinner was delightful and served very quickly(though not rushed)
Breakfast was much more traditional(Buffet style,Bacon,Eggs etc) and very high quality
Only one (tiny) downside(and this very selfish), there is not really a traditional "Bar" area for an after dinner drink(and Sky Football) but i guess that's a small price to pay
Do not hesitate to stay here if you like a fuss free hotel with quiet efficient service and superbly presented rooms

Room Tip: I suspect all rooms are of a very high standard
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank TrevorM434
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Close to Swindon yet very calming with lovely grounds, seem to do lots of weddings as such a great location
Japanese food if you want it!! Lots of Honda workers stay here as the factory is close by
Nice people and a very peaceful place to stay very calming

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank davegirling
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We ate in the Rosemary Restaurant on a Thursday evening, the all you can eat buffet. The staff were welcoming, very attentive and helpful. My partner and I had stayed at the hotel before but our guests had never been. Without question, they all said what a wonderful time they had and that the food was plentiful and extremely good. The house wine was also excellent. If I had to find fault, it would be for the wait in the bar for service prior to going in to the restaurant.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank freddy2012
manchester
Reviewed 2 May 2013

I could write a whole book on the magnificence of this hotel.....but i'll keep it short because I know you're all busy people and have fast paced lives (or need to get to bed)
The hotel is an old historic large country estate, run by Japanese people with a superb attention to detail.....
The food was quite stunning, offering a wide range of Japanese & English choices. I even had Miso Soup with Seaweed for breakfast !! Fantastic !!!
The room was spotless and the bed was so comfortable that I slept for 12 years uninterrupted. When I awoke, I was declared missing and my family & friends had given up the search.
The service is second to none and I kept being referred to as "SIR" which normally makes me cringe but somehow here I warmed to it and felt like a king.
I had an amazing dinner last night (which would take me 6 months alone to describe) and the grounds outside is so fabulous they could have filmed "Upstairs Downstairs" here for a whole series !

There is only 1 negative to all this......I'm going home now !

All this joy, for only £55 B&B !!!! madness.....I actually feel like I've ripped THEM off !

I had to fill out a questionnaire to win a free nights stay for 2 B&B.......Let me tell you, if I end up staying here again, I'm going to have to sell my flat and move in ! I'll become the worlds greatest hotel squatter !!!

Enjoy your stay.....and if you read other peoples negative experiences of this hotel, then they MUST have stayed here in a different dimension, because it certainly wasn't in mine !

This is me, news at 9am, Stanton House Hotel.

Room Tip: Just book it ..... room will be irrelevant
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank bobby0708
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Lovely setting and you should have a nice time if you don't expect any kind of customer service!

Hotel enjoys a very nice location surrounded by country park etc. paid £100 for a nice room and very very nice ensuite.

As a travelling businessman one has a very comprehensive choice of hotels around swindon but only a certain number offer free wifi Internet in all rooms.
However!! The one night I was there this did not work and I was needing to prepare for a meeting the next day and I went to reception at 8pm to complain and the non-english speaking lady behind the desk said she would reset the wifi and all would be fine in ten minutes.

I returned to front desk after 25 mins with the same problem. It hadn't fixed the problem. No apology of any kind but all I got was a half baked explanation along the lines of "all we can do is reset it, the hotel is situated in a ditch so we have bad reception"!!.

Bit shocking really. Surely if you can't offer a service you advertise as a feature then you can't advertise it,

Anyway had to wait for next morning to speak to a manager and when I did the poor lady was a manageress with very very limited powers (couldn't offer me a discount). Powers so limited I would struggle to call her a manageress you would thn,,

So no apology, no discount, no wifi, no work prepared but they did manage to debit my card fairly swiftly and without any glitches!! Same old story

Don't use this hotel unless you are expecting nothing!! Plenty of others in swindon area that are much better, actually provide what they say they offer and are cheaper,

Unhappy unprepared businessman :(

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Paul G
London
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We've stayed here a couple of times now as it is close to an airfield we use and although there are lots of othe options available in the area the setting and idyllic location of the hotel makes it stand out. Still centrally based (especially for Honda connections!) and off busy roads Stanton sits in the middle of Stanton Park and it is hidden away, peaceful, serene and really rather special. It's like a little English village within it's own grounds. The house and gardens are gorgeous. We've never really been able to spend very long here but we've walked the grounds and can totally understand why people would choose it for a wedding venue. The trees alone are magificent! We've stayed in basic rooms which have all been very comfortable but have more recently upgraded to the exec suites which are lovely and very spacious with sitting areas, comfy sofas, dressings robes... SOme of the rooms are country chic and chintzy but it totally suits the style and is incredibly welcoming and warm. We've always had room service and the food has always been very, very good. The chicken curry and sticky rice is deliscious and tempura first class! You do have to pay an extra £10.00 per person for breakfast which I personaly find a bit irritating and wish it was just part and parcel of the booking and could be made as part of a booking deal but at the same time the breakfast is very good and offers a rather different option of a Japanese breakfast should you wish to partake... We will continue to visit with pleasure and I would actually like to stay for 2 continous nights to enjoy the grounds and to finally attempt to visit the restaturant too which has a very tempting menu. It's a shame it doesn't have on-site sports/spa facilites as it would add so much more to this venue and it's wonderful location. It would make the perfect spa getaway! The idea of sinking into a jacuzzi looking out onto Stanton Park would have me booking now!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple