“Cream Tea for Two”

Stanton House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We really enjoyed the walk around the hotel and gardens, we went inside as it got chilly and had a cream tea for two. When it came out we were pleasantly surprised by the size. We had some lovely cakes and the coffee was nice too :-)

We will definitely be going once a month for this now :-)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EmmaWoodwards
Stantonh, Manager at Stanton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Thank you for your review. I am so pleased you enjoyed Afternoon Tea. We will be delighted to welcome you again.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

My in-laws are elderly and were celebrating their wedding anniversary. They chose the Stanton House Hotel for a meal and booked a table in the restaurant for five of us. We arrived in two cars and when we told the staff we had a table booked for five people, he checked the book and showed us to a table laid for four. We pointed this out. He checked the book again and then added a chair. Nobody offered to take our coats or jackets.

The dining room itself is quite sterile and cold and fairly dark. The floor is wooden, there are minimal prints on the walls, there are no table cloths or table mats. It sounds quite hollow.

The in-laws arrived. We tried to place our order but since two of the group wanted to have the Japanese buffet, and the rest of us from the menu, the waitress told us she would have to ask if it was possible. Fortunately it was although I can't for the life of me see why it would have been a problem. Without any explanation, two sets of cutlery were brought to the table. As there were five of us, we weren't sure who they were for or if more would follow.

The food ordered took a long time to arrive. For the price and the size, I thought it was poor value for money. I had sausage and mash with a spoonful of vegetables with gravy. It came in a bowl and consisted of two sausages. It cost £13.50. Our meals were all small. Very nicely presented and tasty but small.

The worst flaw of the evening came from the waiting staff, who all seemed incredibly young. One young man came over and started clearing the plates while some of us were still eating! Surely in a good quality hotel, you wouldn't expect this to happen? With three plates cleared, he asked us if we'd like anything else? I replied that we would probably like desserts after the others had finished eating, so he returned and started handing out the menus while the others were STILL eating. I've heard of being eager, but it just seemed rude.

The desserts were nice, nothing more. There was only a small selection (five) and two of them contained pistachios and two contained summer fruits. There was no cheese board.

As we left both the restaurant and hotel, nobody thanked us, wished us goodnight, asked us if we had enjoyed ourselves, nothing. A member of staff at the reception didn't even raise her head as we walked out.

It is soulless, over-priced, staff need proper training and overall, it was hugely disappointing. I wouldn't recommend it. I felt so disappointed for my in-laws.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank DAHR
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This is the second visit to this well run hotel.
Cannot praise it enough. Built of cotswold stone set in peaceful grounds away from the bustle of the local town and modern life, yet still close to the (here silent) M4 for access, but only to hear birdsong.
Clean & well presented rooms, pleasant courteous service, good meals. it was even possible to enjoy a taste of real japanese cooking.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Just returned from a long weekend at Stanton House Hotel, We had an Executive Suite and was not disappointed, Flat screen television, comfy double bed tea/coffee facilities fridge with complimentary drinks which were replenished when used, bath/shower ,although a couple of points ,getting in/out the bath /shower could be a little tricky for some people who suffer with joint problems as we thought it was a little higher than normal, and the other thing we noticed no toilet brush, there were plenty of electric sockets, plus robes& slippers and the door to the suite had a security chain and a peephole ,the walls are thin and sometimes a TV or toilet flush could be heard, The breakfast was a buffet type with enough choice for most people, we did not have dinner in the restaurant so can not comment on that,
we did order room service one afternoon
(the restaurant was closed for a wedding function)
We had an Angus beefsteak burger which had 2slices of bacon and a slice cheese and was accompanied with chips and salad which was delicious and very filling, The grounds are stunning, and there is also a gate that leads to the country park and lake which was lovely to stroll around and see the birds and feed the swans and ducks, we would definitely visit there again, but as other reviewers have pointed out we would only stay in a suite

Room Tip: If possible book a suite
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank leisurelovers
Reviewed 11 October 2013

This was absolute gem! Beautiful building, tastefully extended, and nestled away within easy reach of Swindon and the motorway, yet you felt as if you were miles from anywhere. The bedroom was superb - large for a start, with a good sized bathroom. The bed was extremely comfortable, and beside having plenty of space, and a seating area, it was wonderfully quiet. The restaurant was excellent - well presented food at a reasonable price. I didn't try the Japanese menu, but it looked interesting. Service was good, and the bar/conservatory was comfortable, with a lovely outlook.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Dear Stanton House Hotel,

I am writing to complain about my recent experience on Sunday afternoon (06/10/2013) when I visited the hotel with my boyfriend for lunch.

We decided to pop into the hotel for a light lunch, the weather was lovely and it was an ideal place to sit and enjoy the sunshine whilst on your outdoor patio area. We ordered our food at 1.30pm - A Chicken Caesar salad and a Katsu Don with 2 soft drinks. I asked to have no anchovies in my salad (I have had caeser salads before that contain these and I am allergic). The waitress wrote this down on the order and made sure she would let the chef know.

We went to sit outside in the sun and wait for our food to arrive, about 10 minutes later we were given cutlery and a table number.

25 minutes later, a waiter came out to say 'the dressing for the salad contains anchovies, would you like me to ask the chef to make an alternative dressing?', I replied, yes please that would be great thank-you.

Nothing else was said, and no-one appeared to let me know if this was OK. At 2.30pm (an hour after we ordered our food), we were both very hungry and agitated that our food had taken so long - given that the bar area was not busy and other tables outside had arrived, been served and left within the time we were waiting!

I went into the bar and asked where our food was, a lady went off to check and 5/10 minutes later our food arrived. The waiters were not apologetic and we were not told why it had taken so long! My salad had NO dressing on it, and it was very dull and plain. I was very disappointed with the food and overall I would not recommend this as a place to come for lunch.

Had we not already paid, I would have walked away without payment. The meal was not worth the price.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mads1986
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Stayed for two nights for a family wedding. The hotel is beautifully situated and styled for such an event and the staff were excellent and nothing was to much trouble. Would I stay here for anything else? Probably not. Rooms are dated and starting to be badly in need of an update. Owned by Honda and with it's high Japanese staff and restaurant, obviously for visitors to the factory. Everything else just seems to be a way of making the building and grounds earn it's keep.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family