“food” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 24 Hotels in Swindon
swindon
“food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

the first time i been to this place i wont go again, today i went there to have something to eat from the menu, which clearly says they have roast beef sandwiches on thursday, only to be told the chef did not know that thursday was the day to do it, so i decided to choose something else which was the steak and kidney pie, i was told that that was not available as well, so i decided to have the chicken and bacon club sandwich which was a mistake, firstly it was so overly done with mayonnaise, then there was egg shell in the sandwich, i couldnt eat the rest as i felt sick and i left most of it , i wouldnt go again though

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kirsty614

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

So after a boozy Saturday night I wasn't really feeling a Sunday roast however to managed to get talked in to a visit to The Kings.
To be honest I was very surprised!
We was seated straight away by a very friendly member of staff who then looked after us for the meal. We were advised to go straight up to the carvery and get stuck in and our drinks order was taken and drinks were waiting for us when we got back to the table,
I had a bit of everything, all the meat was cooked nice and the potato and veg was all really nice as well. Some of it could of been a bit fresher but lets be honest, it's The Kings not the Ritz!
Really good atmosphere, very clean and tidy venue with lots of TV's which worked well for the football. Reasonably priced.
Will deff make another visit!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank FaganRich
nobbey71, Owner at 20 at The Kings, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Thank you for your kind words. I am pleased to hear that you have had an enjoyable experience.
We look forward to seeing you again.

Kind Regards
Darren Turner
Owner
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

We knew from the hotel website that the hotel has a disco which continues until 3am but when I phoned up I was reassured it was not a problem and no one complains. Between our party we had three rooms and I cannot even begin to describe how loud the music is from some of them. My poor brother and his wife were right above the dance floor and their bed was actually vibrating from the music below. We were further back but we had all the outdoor drinkers right outside our window. When my brother complained the next morning the guy on reception (who you'll find permanently outside smoking and never on reception) could not have cared less. My completely sleep deprived brother then had a long drive home.

How you can actually charge people for this experience from hell is just beyond me.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Bolly1981
nobbey71, Owner at 20 at The Kings, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Sorry to hear about your experience at 20 at the Kings. Every effort is made to ensure a comfortable stay for all of our guest. As you can appreciate at the weekend we are a busy hotel and it turns into a venue with music but we do advertise this on every booking agent and on our website. If you would like to discuss this matter, please get in touch.
Darren Turner
Owner

Travellers are raving about these Swindon hotels

York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

I stayed for a number of weeks recently as I was working in Swindon. I initially stayed at the Goddards for a week but was a little disappointed and walked up the road to 20 at The Kings and stayed the next week and then booked subsequent weeks.
The owners took over a year or so ago (so I believe) and have made some vast improvements and are still working very hard to continiously improve the facilities and have just recently made an outdoor BBQ area and bar in the hope we may see a summer.
From what I understand of how it used to be it is completely different.
The main area, bar and downstairs are very nicely done and the rooms are clean but basic but I believe this is the next to be brought up to their high standards.
The staff are very friendly and the food is excellent. They have also recently changed the chefs and working very hard to create new menus despite the ones I tried being excellent already. As I have stayed there for a few weeks I have ate elsewhere but only to get a change of scenery. I find it hard to take myself elsewhere with the quality and price being so good. Some nights there are deals e.g. Wed night is steak night.
During the week the hotel and bar are quiet but at weekends I believe it transforms into more night club (although I have not been there at weekends).
I would highly recommend for the friendly atmosphere, great food, affordable prices and good clean accommodation.

Room Tip: Only stayed in one single room (28) which was to the rear of the property which was fine. There was...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

This is a nice hotel/pub. Firstly, there is free parking right in the middle of the old town. The rooms are simple but clean, tidy and well kept, and free Wifi. Breakfast is not for the light hearted, and the evening meals are very well prepared, a higher standard that your 'average' pub meal. Every evening there seems to something different on, Salsa dancing, Camra club, a quiz, big TV's for sport too - keeps it interesting. They have a fine selection of well kept ales and of course wine and other drinks. The staff are very helpful in this 'family' atmosphere hotel. The location is also excellent. Throw a stone and you could reach a half dozen other pubs and restaurants if you fancy a stroll.

Room Tip: I hear it gets a bit busy in the pub at the weekend....
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Worcester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

We arrived at 20 @ The Kings on Saturday to a very pleasent welcome and helpful information where our accomodation was also information on meals and bars.
Our room on the 1st floor to the back of the hotel was clean and bright a double bed chair desk, a tray with kettle, cups, tea, coffee, hot chocolate, milk on which was clean and presented nice. there is a hair dryer and TV in the room. The ensuit bathroom with shower over the bath nice clean white bathroom.
We went to a party in the Oak Room which was a good size room with a bar off to the side in a smaller room with table and chairs, the buffet was nice the food was good and again presented well. The disco gave a good range of music getting everyone on the floor, the tables were cleared of glasses and food plates regularly all together a great night.
We had a good night sleep an good shower, breakfast was served with good food and good service.

Our weekend was made special by the Hotel staff and the pleasent surroundings.

Room Tip: If you stay at a week end have a room on the south side as there is a disco that goes until late
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Shotley Gate, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

We booked here on the morning of our stay as a last minute stop-over and were not disappointed. The staff were very friendly and could not do enough for you. Although the floors were creaky (it is an old building and this is to be expected) there was no noise from others rooms or from the corridors. The family room we had was very large and clean. The breakfast looked brilliant but due to a hangover I only had cereal, my husband had the full english and thoroughly enjoyed it. The only complaint was that the coffee in the pot was cold but as soon as the young girl serving breakfast was told she quickly apologised and brought us fresh coffee. Will definitely stay here again when in Swindon and have already recommended it to friends and family.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple