“Swindon's musuem of computing - No 6 of 10 things to celebrate about Swindon”

Museum of Computing
Ranked #7 of 55 things to do in Swindon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Swindon, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Swindon's musuem of computing - No 6 of 10 things to celebrate about Swindon”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Over 10 years old now this small but perfectly formed this little gem is tucked away in Theatre Square in Swindon, Wiltshire close by the central library.

Whether you want to proper 'geek-out' or just have a wallow in nostalgia it's worth a visit. I went to have a nostalgia wallow and to get information for a blog post. But if you are really interested in the history of computing it's definitely worth checking out.

They run a kids club and do all sorts of special events so their website and Facebook page is worth keeping up to date with.

Being small it doesn't have any kind of cafeteria or toilet facilities however the central library is just by it and that has a good coffee bar and facilities. As does the Wyvern Theatre just a few yards away. It's also just a spit from the town centre so is perfectly placed for shopping, eating and so on.

There is an entrance fee but it's very reasonable and they do a student discount.

It's all on one level so access is okay.

Children will love the robotics stuff and adults can feel old at the calculators, early Macintosh computers and the Commodore 64.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank amaatk123

L-O-S
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“A gem”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

This place is a little gem of a museum, for anyone remotely interested in computing and the history of computing. I took two children (6 and 5) who were a bit bewildered to see the early computers ('where's the keyboard? where's the screen?') but who soon settled in and left me with plenty of time to relive my own childhood on the various Sinclair devices, PCs, Amigas, etc. When we went there was a superb exhibition of robots (which I think is still on) including a brilliant industrial robot working away, and several kit robots, some of which the kids and I were allowed to play with.

There is also a good display of video games, from Pong through to the PlayStation2 and most things in between, many of which were up and running - like I said, the kids soon settled in and eventually had to be dragged away when I ran out of time in the carpark. Put plenty of money in the carpark ticket machine - you'll be here longer than you expect!

The museum also hosts various events, and a rolling programme of exhibitions, and I believe they also do a kids' club, hackspace, etc. The people who run it are all volunteers, very friendly, and happy for everyone to get 'hands on' with many of the things in the museum.

10 PRINT "SWINDON MUSEUM OF COMPUTING IS GREAT"
20 GOTO 10

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Proxima
Swindon, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“As a parent and an ex-manager at the Science Museum, I love this place!”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

This really is the most amazing collection of computers and consoles, curated with personality and humour. Every pc you remember fondly is there, so it's guaranteed to give you that grinning "Wow, I remember using one of those - that was my first computer!" experience.

Even better (and I can't think of ANYWHERE I've been where you can do this), they've actually got a wide range of classic consoles permanently on display that you can still play on, whether it's Pong, Pacman, Street Fighter or Sonic you've been missing, you can relive your gaming glory days there! ;)
My boys love it, of course, but when I took my cynical teenage daughter along even she got hooked.
Definitely a 'must visit' (and I visit often)!

Visited March 2014