“Great service.”

Ranked #18 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
London
“Great service.”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Stayed here for the weekend of a friends wedding and the service was fantastic. Really went out of their way to help us, even driving us down the road to the pick up point for our transport to the wedding. Delayed check-out on the Sunday was very welcome too! Breakfast was great. Would definitely stay here again if we were in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Brentwood Essex
Reviewed 16 May 2013

My Partner and I had a wonderful stop over at this great B&B. David and Helen were really warm, welcoming and couldn't have been more accommodating. The pub on site that they also run is brilliant, fantastic food reasonably priced and a cosy fire.

We're used to paying prices in the London area and couldn't believe what a great deal this was, spacious, clean rooms, great hosts and topped off with an amazing breakfast before we left. Fabulous.

Room Tip: All good sized, all looked clean and tidy
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2013

I recently stayed at the Carpenter's Arms for a week on business in Swindon, on the recommendation of a colleague. I found the reception from the friendly staff welcoming, the food satisfying and the accomodation very comfortable. All in all I left a very satisfied customer!

Thanks for a great stay guys!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
London, UK
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I've just moved to the area from London and am exploring new places in the area. Before we get to the sharp end of the review, I want to say that I thought the staff seemed really kind, lovely, gentle people. In terms of food and drink though the best thing I can say was I had a nice pint of Wiltshire Gold.

I wasn't looking for haute cuisine, but wanted well executed pub grub and a quiet pint by the fire on a Friday night.

Unfortunately for the Carpenter's Arms there is a very dark place in the history of British cooking - probably around 1973* - that sums up what came out of the kitchen. A starter of spring rolls and hoisin sauce was incinerated and arrived in a pool of dirty kitchen oil, the beef stroganoff was apparently a "special", event the lovely landlady assured me how nice this was... Having eaten it I think this was presumably the leftover beef from the Sunday roast serving which had been simmering since. My dining partner fared slightly better, deep fried camembert, and the gammon and chips were "OK".

Don't be fooled by the lovely smiles..... I'm sure for a quiet pint and a packet of crisps this pub is "OK", but I can't recommend eating here - unless you feel the need to recreate a scene from 'Abigail's Party'.

* which coincidentally is probably around the same time the dining room was last decorated!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Bishopsgate3466
everywhere
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I was a resident at the Carpenters Arms for nearly 3 years until last week when the new Tenant, David Chilton, kicked me out for complaining about the room being freezing the night before.

For £30 a night for a single room - and with the provision of heating overnight to compensate for the lack of insulation (The heating is turned off for 6-7 hours at night under Dave but was kept on by the previous tenants) - the room is basic (Magnolia paint, poorly fitting laminate, no pictures, no rug, no proper seating for working) but has a good shower and its own door straight to the outside, the accommodation is on the money for the area. However, for the rate that is being advertised now (£50 per night Room Only online) there needs to be very major improvements carried out to the rooms. For eating and drinking there are far more competitive (price wise) and superior (food wise) places within a couple of miles of the pub (please be aware that there is nothing within 1 mile of the pub, this includes pavements, except for the main intercity line to London). The current Tenant (Dave) however only seems to be concerned with the bar and restaurant, not the accommodation, and holding audience in said same to his captive guests. They were also employing too many staff for the current customer numbers (up to 3 plus themselves) although that may have changed. I have given it a 1, if it had been the previous tenants it would have been a 3

Dave also needs to temper his arrogance towards guests (and indeed towards his staff from what I heard the other week) and remember that good service and quality is the first foot hold to success - not high prices (initially anyway). After 13 years out of the pub trade – and to my knowledge he has never run accommodation – he needs to improve on his skills in dealing with genuine complaints from paying guests. I was absolutely mortified, insulted and indeed upset, when he implied I was a liar over my Step-Dad suffering from Terminal Cancer in front of several people in the bar. I think his attitude is terrible and needs to undertake training in customer relations. Arkells – please take note.

Please do not book here unless you can give Dave in writing that you know your Dad is going to be sent home with terminal cancer on such a date and that you are going to be snowed in for X days in such a month at least two weeks in advance

I could go on much further but it may seem to be sour grapes

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
14 Thank lawrenso
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We as a family have used The Carpenters Arms pub for a number of years and have always had
top quality service and comfortable rooms but the best was the food, prepared and cooked by Barbara and Louise and very satisfactory. However, on checking the Scores on the doors; We
found that since Bob and Barbara left it has been downgraded from 5* to 1* and have decided
to try somewhere else instead. I hope they will improve in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
13 Thank bonzo53
Sussex
Reviewed 13 December 2012

We needed a room at short notice and telephoned having looked at trip advisor not realising that there are new Managers. However we were not disappointed.
The phone call was very welcoming as was the welcome on arrival. It was a bitterly cold night and there was a lovely log fire in the bar. There were some good local ales and we were offered a taste before we decided which we would have. We arrived late having eaten so can't comment on the evening food but several people were eating and the meals looked good. Our room was spacious and spotless. We had a lovely breakfast the next morning. The new Managers were friendly and nothing was too much trouble. We would certainly stay again if we wished to break our journey in this area. We wish the new Managers every success.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple