“Freezing!!”

Lydiard House Conference Centre
Ranked #25 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I'm not going to stay here again. This was the second time I have stayed and although I'd read some bad reviews on here, I thought I'd give it a go. The first time I stayed was OK. But last night was one of the worst nights I've ever had in a hotel.

Basically, the radiator in the room wasn't working correctly. When I told the receptionist about this, all she said was, give it some time and turn it up to 5. She also asked me if there was a wire hanging down between the thermostat and the radiator! Never been so cold in my life, despite having an extra blanket on over the very thin duvet. Due to the temperature in the room, the towels hadn't dried after I had a shower last night, so after my shower this morning, I got to dry myself with wet towels - brilliant!

My advice - pay a bit more and stay somewhere where you can't see icicles on the end of your nose!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 186338James186338

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Beds tiny and very very uncomfy and the shower didn't seam to have a warm setting just ice cold or boiling hot.
Breakfast - no where clean to sit and had to move to let other guests to the buffet

My recommendation - don't pay full price and go early to breakfast

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Very moving gathering Friday 6th December and although raining decided to do the Gardens House a bite of lunch, etc. Lydiard House is fabulous and full of History, also kids friendly and worth a visit, nice to have such helpful cheerful staff well done great day!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I stayed here with my 13 year old daughter as we fancied a bit of shopping at the outlet centre. The conference centre itself is pretty ugly. The house is beautiful and you can walk freely in the the grounds which are beautiful this time of year. The church is pretty special too.
The receptionist-Sheila, was fabulous. She advised me that the beds were small -4ft-and immediately upgraded us to a full sized double. The bed was great but the room was tiny. The bed was pushed against the wall so when my daughter got up in the night she ended up trampling on me!
I agree with a lot of the reviews on here, the place is ageing and could do with some tlc. However, it is spotlessly clean. The pool is great, we had it to ourselves for the afternoon and the food is very good although the menu is quite limited. The barman was very attentive and couldn't do enough for us.
The woman in the café opposite was a bit surly and the café only has a 3 rating for food but we ordered a couple of toasties and they were good enough.
All in all it really is a beautiful setting, perfect for the various shopping centres in the area and we would definitely book again. We would take extra pillows though!!!

Room Tip: Ask to be upgraded to a proper double bed!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank HDebby
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on business just for one night only paid £49 not including breakfast, yes the bed was 3/4 double but we knew this when we booked. Reception we're very helpful and the bar man was very polite and helpful too. We did pay for breakfast in the morning and was standard full English. Overall cheap and clean would stay here again

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We booked the hotel as a couple but had to take a Toddler with us. The hotel was fine with it, as long we could provide the own travel bed for the Toddler. They gave us firstly room number 22 on the first floor. But my thoughts were that's easier for us staying on ground floor. We asked for a change and they were brilliant. Got no 9. The rooms are ok, but it was just cold, because the heating was not working and the window didn't shuts completely. A night in a jumper.........
Breakfast was good, the scrambled eggs for the Toddler a bit salty but after telling the waitress we got really nice tasty scrambled eggs.
This hotel was hard to find with the postcode they provide. That takes you exactly on the opposite gate entrance of the hotel. You have to go all round to reach the hotel.
It is very peaceful and quiet and very pleasantry.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jenbri63
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We booked the weekend through Groupon at a ridiculously cheap price and seeing the reviews didn't think it would be up to much but a good break away - but what a fantastic weekend we had!! We got there early on the Saturday to enjoy afternoon tea and a look around the 17th century house and walled gardens (and had a very interesting conversation with the gardener). The Park is lovely and we went for a nice walk around the lake and church.
We had the Honeymoon suite so were perhaps in the best room which was still a little dated and tired but clean and roomy and we've stayed in much worse....
The evening was great fun and lots of people dressed in character for the nights entertainment. The Company presenting the Murder Mystery - Big Monty Productions- were professional and managed the guests well - we all had so much fun!!!
The set menu provided three choices of main course and the usual starter/ dessert selection - simple but cooked well and presented nicely. All the staff were lovely and we had a brilliant selection of help yourself buffet for breakfast. Whilst this was very much a bargain, and they really couldn't have been making much money on the deal, we received excellent service and were made to feel very welcome and would highly recommend this weekend break to anyone wanting a good fun weekend.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Applemuffin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swindon
Campanile Swindon
The Schoolhouse Hotel
Alexandra House
Alexandra House
#1 of 1 in Wroughton

Been to Lydiard House Conference Centre? Share your experiences!