“Good value”

Ranked #24 of 24 Hotels in Swindon
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Good value”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Booked a room via late rooms for £35. For the money it was fine. Clean, quiet and warm. The furniture was a bit dated but that is a minor quibble. Staff friendly and helpful. Car park close to reception. It is functional. Don't expect luxury accommodation and you won't be disappointed. Don't be fooled by the photo though. The actual conference centre is a 1970's block.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Sandra on reception wAs very helpful and attentive, when we requested a room change to look over at the church rather than the cafe.
Stayed for a murder mystery event which was fabulous. Great meal and the bar not over priced.

I agree the beds really are two small for two. But was well presented.

Breakfast was lovely, although I am not a fan of queuing at the toaster; would be better arranged by staff.

I must add we had a great time but breakfast was two long tables to share with everyone. Romantic? Defiantly not. And near the end of service guests were struggling to pick out the vacant seats.
Pool seemed chilly and the sauna was not turned on :(

Room Tip: If you are not scared of cemeteries ask for a room with a view of the church, much prettier that loo...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

The setting is beautiful and the centre is ideal for conferences. Even though it is made clear when booking that the bed is only a small double it was a shock to see how small a 4ft bed is. Two people cannot comfortably sleep in such a small bed and it is unfair to expect them too. Put in larger beds and I would book again as the rooms are clean, in fairly good decorative order and the breakfast was excellent. The sleepless night spoilt the experience unfortunately and you will continue to get reviews like this until you sought out the bed situation.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Swindon hotels

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Excellent value and highly recommended for single room occupancy only. Our double bed was too small for 2 people. Pool very inviting but didn't use. Staff very attentive. Very good breakfast and lovely grounds

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Let's start with positive, stayed one night bed and breakfast, and the breakfast was lovely fresh and hot. The bedroom was very basic small bed uncomfortable one of the worse nights sleep for a while, bathroom not fabulous, Would I stay again? No

Room Tip: All rooms are on the smaller sides
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I paid £41 bed & breakfast on a Tuesday night which was way below any of the nearest hotels. I read the reviews on here so wasn't expecting the world, all I needed was a warm bed, desk, Wi-Fi and free car parking. All of this I got! I'll agree with others that their website is a bit misleading, you are not staying in the country house, its a 3 story grey box around the back. But it doesn't take a genius to work out you wouldn't be in a country house for around the £50 mark.

Check in was quick, friendly and told me all I needed to know. I had room 29, top floor, halfway down the corridor. The room has everything you need, good desk space, TV with full digital channels, well appointed bathroom and a reasonable amount of space. The bathroom was well appointed, a little rough around the edges, some grouting issues but again, for the price, I wasn't complaining. The only thing I was missing in the bedroom was a bedside table, a very tiny niggle. Wi-fi connection worked fine throughout my stay, wasn't especially quick but was adequate for my needs.

Breakfast was more worth the £6, not a huge selection but it was fine for me. Cooked breakfast was made to order, again this was fine. I quite enjoyed watching other guests having issues toasting their own bread, never fails to make me smile.

All staff I encountered were friendly and approachable. Swimming pool looked nice but I didn't use it. I wouldn't pay much more than £40-£50 and its certainly not somewhere you would go as a couple. For the business traveller this hotel is perfect. I would return if I was in the area again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Brighton_SussexGuru
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I'm not going to stay here again. This was the second time I have stayed and although I'd read some bad reviews on here, I thought I'd give it a go. The first time I stayed was OK. But last night was one of the worst nights I've ever had in a hotel.

Basically, the radiator in the room wasn't working correctly. When I told the receptionist about this, all she said was, give it some time and turn it up to 5. She also asked me if there was a wire hanging down between the thermostat and the radiator! Never been so cold in my life, despite having an extra blanket on over the very thin duvet. Due to the temperature in the room, the towels hadn't dried after I had a shower last night, so after my shower this morning, I got to dry myself with wet towels - brilliant!

My advice - pay a bit more and stay somewhere where you can't see icicles on the end of your nose!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 186338James186338
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swindon
Marsh Farm Hotel
20 at The Kings
#23 of 24 in Swindon
The Schoolhouse Hotel
Travelodge Swindon Central Hotel

Been to Lydiard House Conference Centre? Share your experiences!