“Perfect”

Lydiard House Conference Centre
Ranked #25 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Reviewed 2 May 2014

What can we say ... We visit again, we eat there again, we celebrate with family and friends...The grounds are lovely, it is peaceful and it has leisure facilities! Parking plenty, play area on doorstep, walks in countryside, fun, escape, peace, nature!!!
Book it!

Room Tip: Any room: Great for leisure and business!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Lovely peaceful rural setting. Very clean and comfortable room. Room and bed were both small, but it was quite adequate for an overnight stay and excellent value for the price. A good breakfast was included in the tariff.
Easy access to M4, but as we came from the north it was quite complicated to find. Wifi, was slow, but on the whole, a great stay and pleasant to walk around the grounds by the lake and look at the horses before leaving next morning.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Booked this at the last minute on a whim - main reason being it was so cheap (atlhough didn't realise it was always this cheap as booked it through one of the last minute booking sites so just thought we were getting a bargain). Obviously should have researched it better, although have to say photos on the conference site are slightly misleading. The bedroom photos don't show the fact that the 4' bed is against a wall - so make sure you're sleeping on the inside if you don't want to be disturbed by your partner getting up during the night and having to climb over you to get out of bed....... Also note one of the professinal photos on the site shows a lovely public room with a couple sitting by a fireplace - didn't see this room anywhere! Swimming pool was okay although changing rooms very shabby and shower was pretty small and didn't smell too pleasant. Had to wait quite a while at reception to book in - desk left unattended but it appears there was only one member of staff on duty so would be unfair to expect her to be everywhere at once. That said she was very pleasant and friendly and gave initially a very good impression. This didn't last - the minute we walked into our room my heart sunk. Bathroom was tiny, room was exceptionally small and as stated above - the 4 foot bed was against the wall, small single wardrobe with only 4 hangers, television was so small we joked that we would have to stand right in front of it and certainly it wouldn't have been much fun watching it from the "comfort" of the almost double bed. No freeview or internet channels available, only the 5 terrestrial channels. The kettle in the room was a small, "travelling" type plastic kettle. Radiators not on and when I asked at reception was advised the heating came on at 5.30. Spent an enjoyable couple of hours in the swimming pool, it was warm and only one other couple in there. Went back into our room - radiator seemed to be slightly warm but even though we turned the thermostat up to the highest level radiator stayed on its lukewarm temperature. At that point my partner joked saying shall we go home - we've had a swim, a cup of hot chocolate in the tea room outside, a walk around the 13/14th century church - well..... that was all it took - I was packed and ready to go in 5 minutes flat!!!! Told the lady on reception we had to go home due to family emergency (was hardly her fault we were so dissatisfied) and legged it (figuratively speaking!). Thank goodness we only lived about an hour's drive away - as they say "there's no place like home" .........

Room Tip: If you literally just want somewhere to sleep (and maybe have a swim!) and if you are a couple and n...
1  Thank Annette S
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We spent a night at the Conference Centre during our visit to Wiltshire.

When we arrived I was a bit surprised to see that we were not staying in the lovely house depicted in most pictures by the hotel, we were instead staying in a very run down, old conference centre. It did not impress me but to be honest the price we paid for the room was low so you can't expect much more.

We were greeted warmly by the lady on reception, she explained where our room was, what facilities were available within the hotel. All in all it was a positive experience at the reception.

Walking up the strains you are in a building that resembles halls of residence then you get to the rooms. Our room was clean but the furnishing was very old fashioned. The bed was comfortable, the sheets were clean. The bathroom was a bit small, however this was clean as well which i was very pleased by. I, however found the fact that you have to use to taps to somehow mix your shower water a bit inconvenient. You spend half the time trying to adjust the temperate.

I do believe changing the furniture would definitely improve the rooms. The heating of the rooms is great, you can adjust the temperature yourself and can turn it up or down according to how warm you want the room to be.

We had a good night's sleep, please don't compare this hotel to Premier Inn, it's not going to measure up, however we feel we got okay value for money.

I can't comment on the dining facilities as we had dinner in Swindon and left without breakfast.

1  Thank Worldbackpackrrr
Reviewed 14 April 2014

People say that you get what you pay, for but nothing at all from the web site gave a hint as to the reality of the rooms. All I can say is the photographer and web designer must be very clever.

When we first arrived, we had to pick our way through the back car park, which is full of pot holes and very poorly lit. It's a liability waiting to happen.

As we checked in, a wedding was going on around us and I was very glad we had made arrangements to eat out with friends that evening. We expected that we would have been able to eat at the hotel.

Then came the room.
Small, yet big enough to fit a full sized double bed in, so why were they only 3/4 sized beds?
Stained, both our carpet and our bedding showed stains which were revolting.
And the bathroom, well! The toilet creaked if you dared to sit on it and the shower had only 2 settings, antarctica or the depths of hell. Trying to negotiate a balance between these two was very difficult and quite frankly unacceptable in a hotel that seems to advertise itself to be so much more.

In the morning we were thrilled to not only hear the vibrating alarm through the wall of the person next door to us, but to also be woken up on both mornings at 6:38 by the clanking heating.... which incidentally did not need to come on because the temperature of the rooms was already far too high in the first place. So much for relaxing.

We decided to chance breakfast and were rewarded with three gems.
The first being a broken chair having to be taken out by a member of staff.
The second, managing to get the last place to sit (the dining space is not large enough to cater for all guests.)
Finally the third, to hear staff members complaining about how they were running out of food because the guests were too greedy. Unbelievable.

As we moved on the the wedding itself there were more worries. We got a round of drinks and each drink tasted odd, a gin and tonic wasn't right, a pint of Stella was practically flat and the Jack Daniels and Coke was very odd. We went back to the bar and said something wasn't right and the drinks were replaced. The Stella was better but the spirits were still strange. Several people who drink Jack Daniels tasted my drink and agreed with me. These drinks were all poured from bottles under the counter, the bottles looked correct but the content was not. On my next visit to the bar I told the barman my concerns and asked if I could have a Jack Daniels from the unopened bottle on the shelf in front of me. He obliged and the drink was perfect. The bottles are quite clearly being filled with cheaper substitutes. I believe this is illegal?

During the hog roast we could once again hear the staff talking about people taking too much food and worrying about whether there was going to be enough for everyone. Service went from bad to worse when the staff started collecting plates from our table before everyone was finished. This is simply rude and poor housekeeping for a hotel.

If you ask me they should spend less time boasting about the swimming pool and sauna and actually get the basics right first.

£35 per night...... I wouldn’t have even paid that.

Room Tip: Quite simple stay elsewhere. There is a Holiday Inn not so far away.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PandaWard
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The big house is beautiful.... the shabby monstrosity that you stay in is such a shame. Little uni bedroom type rooms with desks and office phones very strange. Space could be much better used, the carpet needs replacing and the paint needs repainting. Its more shabby than run down but in need of money spending and don't let them put you in room 1
I was at a conference and there were no blinds to cover the windows so we could not actually see the screen.
Staff were rude, really rude especially the woman on reception who was really condescending and ordering at the bar is a joke, not even a till to put things through so you get charged different prices each time. I would suggest some customer services training would not go amiss in this hotel.
Food was great one meal time and then over cooked and terrible the next no consistency.
I would stay somewhere else if you have the choice!!

Room Tip: Do not let them put you in room 1 try to get upstairs.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank OonaghMac5
Reviewed 3 April 2014

This is a glorious building run by a company called Chartridge. The lady on reception was very welcoming but everything went downhill from there. Bedrooms acceptable for the rate (think student study rooms) but the restaurant was dire. I had to order at reception, then went through to the so called restaurant. After my main course I waited 45 minutes for my plate to be cleared and to be asked what my desert choice might be. I gave up waiting so asked at the bar. The girl on duty told me she could not help, I would have to order it from my waitress! What waitress I wondered?

Seriously, this is a good place for student unions, school groups, churches and others happy to accept an institutional approach in the interest of low cost and camaraderie (within the group) but for heavens sake, stop trying to be a hotel, because you are not!

No wifi in the restaurant even though Wi if is alleged to be throughout.

Room Tip: Stay once, just to experience it, but don't take your wife or sweetheart here if you want to im...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swindon
Campanile Swindon
Thistle Express - Swindon
Thistle Express - Swindon
#19 of 25 in Swindon
Holiday Inn Express Swindon West M4, Jct 16

Been to Lydiard House Conference Centre? Share your experiences!