“Sunday roast.” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Fat Dog
Price range: US$16 - US$41
Cuisines: British
Good for: Groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: We are a small restaurant nestled into the Oxfordshire countryside, just minutes away from Swindon, Cirencester and Faringdon. We believe in providing quality food at realistic prices. We would love to welcome you to The Fat Dog soon.
Oxford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sunday roast.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012

Just has Sunday lunch.---- Very disappointing,-- They were not very busy but we had to wait quite some time for our main meal, THE PLATES WERE COLD, the yorkshires were cold, not much veg and the pork needed cooking more. Otherwise it was tasty & the starters were good also the sweets. The waitress did offer to get ti warmed up but I didn"t want to eat on my own so said no thanks, but to let the chef know. It was also freezing in the room.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Margaret N
TheFatDog, Manager at The Fat Dog, responded to this review, 19 November 2012
Dear Margaret,

Thank-you for bringing this to our attention.

Unfortunately recently we have faced a couple of issues with our 'pass' as the heating lights having been working properly. This has now been rectified, but we do apologise for the disappointing experience you had with us.

I have passed on all your comments to the team and they have all been actioned.

We hope you'll visit us again over the Christmas Period,
Josh

Staffordshire
“Phenominal !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2012

I cannot give enough praise for this fantastic Gastro Pub. Everything was perfect. The service, the unbelievable food, the ambiance and the price. It ticks all the boxes, you must visit ! I just cannot recommend this enough.

• Visited October 2012
TheFatDog, Manager at The Fat Dog, responded to this review, 19 November 2012
Dear StaffordshireFoxy,

Thank-you so much for the excellent review! We really appreciate the time people spend writing these.

We do pride ourselves on providing quick, friendly service, with well cooked and presented food. We hope to see you again soon! The Christmas menu is available from November 27th until December 22nd.

Thanks for coming & reviewing,
Highworth, United Kingdom
“Friday Evening Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2012

My husband and I went to The Fat Dog this evening with a Groupon deal. We had the smoked salmon mousse and chicken Caesar salad for starters and the only (really extremely minor!) complaint we had with either was that the salad would be better served in a flat bottomed dish (it kept tipping up when trying to spear the food). Both starters were delicious. For mains, we had the pork chop and the Barnsley lamb chop. Again, both were excellent, perfectly cooked and we ate every last mouthful. I did like that we received what was stated on the menu. I've been to other places where the menu says one thing and what you receive is another thing entirely. Too full after all that to have a dessert!

We've eaten at the Fat Dog several times over the years, together and with various friends, and the food has pretty much always been great. The restaurant itself is very attractive - modern and clean with decent sized tables. I hate it when we go somewhere to eat and we're put on a table with no elbow room. The staff we encountered were very polite and the service was quick and unobtrusive. Lovely Merlot too! We were a bit disappointed that the fire wasn't lit but the staff may have been caught out by the cold snap in the weather. So, all in all, most enjoyable and we'll definitely be back.

• Visited October 2012
Dear Kay,

Thank-you for your loyal patronage, we hope you return this Christmas!

I'm glad the complaints are minor, it makes my job so much easier! I'll pass that onto the kitchen - they never get to eat the food off of service plates. Our Pork and Lamb Chops have proved very popular this Autumn, I can personally vouch for our desserts - I've sampled them all!

About the fire! Health and Safety officers recently surveyed the property and informed us that the chimney needs some work doing on it else it'll fill the room with smoke. Unfortunately we can't complete this until the new year.

See you soon - Christmas Menu between 27th November and 22nd December!
Thanks,
swindon
“meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

excellent place to eat. food out standing the staff very happy to server you. Toilets very clean. would reccommend and the sunday lunches are fab

Visited November 2011
1 Thank lwadl48
Dear lwadl48,

Thank-you so much for the review! I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit, we all take pride in our work which we believe comes through in our levels of service. Hopefully we'll see you on another Sunday then!

Please note that over the Christmas period Sunday Lunch will still be served every week.

Lastly we wish you a Merry Christmas if we don't see you before then!
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Charming place with lively food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

My wife and went on a Saturday night with her parents. The interior is bright but with a warm feel. We had a choice of two tables and chose one in the corner. We were offered drinks although these did take a while to come. Initially ordered white wine but it wasn't cold enough for me so swapped it for a nice Shiraz (so nice we had two bottles and the girls were both on water!). Excellent starters (garlic mushrooms which were in an amazing sauce and roasted veg soup). Mains were great too - I had minute steak which was very juicy for a thin steak. Chips with skins on were lovely and proper really crispy onion rings. My wife had pasta with chorizo which she really enjoyed. In laws both had pork loin with a sauce laced with lardons. Salty but very tasty (I had some).

For puds we had a mix: creme brulee for me which was excellent. Choc mousse, panacotta and fruit salad for the others which they all thought were very good.

We all had coffees and the father in law and I had shorts too. The whole thing came to £142 which is great value (not that we were after a value meal - we wanted quality and we got it).

So in summary, a great evening, superb food and we would definitely go again.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Jerry,

I hope the food wasn't too lively!!

We're glad that you had such a good experience with us, we always try to ensure that people will leave with a good impression of us. We do have a few problems with our wine fridges as they revert to 10C for both red and white after power-cuts. Unfortunately the power is being worked on about 100 metres down the road!

What can I say about the food! I'm glad everything was perfect for you, our chef puts a lot of effort into creating every dish.

We really hope to see you again over the Christmas period. The Christmas Menu is available from November 27th until December 22nd.

Thanks again,