“pleasant stay”

Holiday Inn Telford - Ironbridge
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Telford
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed for my husband's birthday celebration. Had a lovely stay curtailed by my being ill. The reception staff were not helpful when my husband said we wouldn't be staying on Sat night as he needed to get me home but a conversation with the duty manager sorted it out. She was more than kind and sent me on my way with bottled water which I really appreciated. The meals were all wonderful and the chef very informative. We also made full use of the spa facilities especially my husband we likes a sauna and gym session. Our bedroom needed a bit of an update but it was clean and comfortable and very quiet. The hotel is ideally situated for the Ironbridge museums a well as Telford centre. We will certainly use this hotel again.

Room Tip: We had 1st floor room 148 which was really quiet
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Lis F, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Telford - Ironbridge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Grannyj

Thank you for taking time to post a review after your recent weekend away was curtailed by illness. I have spoken to you personally since then and we look forward to welcoming you back at some stage in the future so that you can really relax and enjoy all our facilities to the full.

Lis Frost
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 2 August 2014

My son and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights to visit ironbridge and surrounding areas.On my second night I had run out of the small pots of semi-skimmed milk,i asked one of the housekeppers if I could have some more,she said she would put some in my room.I came back to a note saying they had run out of them and she had put some milk in a jug in the fridge,i don't have a fridge(me thinks)turn around and BOOM there is a small fridge with a large jug of milk!! Funny how happy this made me(I do love my tea) lovley hotel with really nice helpful staff,loved the aircon,as it was so hot,best three nights sleep since summer began.My son stayed and had breakfast for free(under 12) would recommend to any one wanting a hotel in that area,many thanks :) xx

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Amanda E
Lis F, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Telford - Ironbridge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear AmandaE

Many thanks for your five star review which contains some really helpful feedback to future guests, especially those with families. You clearly had a great stay and I'm glad that you were able to get a decent cup of tea!

Reviewed 1 August 2014

We just returned home after spending 3nights at this great hotel. Great location, and fabulous facilities at hotel.
I was with my three children, aged 14, 10 and 9 weeks old. The two older children spent a large amount of time in the indoor pool, which was clean and supervised well.
We ate at the restaurant two nights and had room service on the third night. On each occasion the staff couldn't do enough to help. And when our meal came to the room it was hot and only took 10 minutes to arrive.
Lorraine was very helpful with ice packs for my nine week old daughter who needed her bottles of milk to be kept cold.
Thank you all, we will definitely recommend you to our family and friends and will stay with you again in the future.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Morgan M

Many thanks for your lovely review and I am glad that you and your family were able to have such a relaxed stay. There's certainly something for everyone to enjoy here on a leisure break. I have ensured that Lorraine in particular has seen your comments.

I do hope you will come back and stay with us again sometime.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

A good hotel for conference access and all the expected business facility.

Breakfast was good but the plate's where so hot it was hard to carry them back to the table without burning your fingers.

The rooms hard 'box' air conditioning, which if used can be very noisy, so not practical when sleeping.
The modern decor in the bathroom was pleasant to look at but the sink wasn't as practical to use.

Telford appeared to be 'under development', so not much to do at night, although a good size mall if you can get out between 09:00 & 17:00.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Lis F, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Telford - Ironbridge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear MalHSmith

Thank you for taking time to post a review after your recent stay with us. I do apologise for the hot plates in the restaurant, this is not usually the case and I have passed on your feedback to the food and beverage team so they can monitor and ensure this is not happening.

Telford is indeed undergoing a £250m redevelopment programme and is partly finished, with lots more to come over the next few months. Do come back and stay with us again some time in the future, so that you can see what's changed and how different Telford is becoming.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Having managed to lose my passport and therefore unable to travel to Paris for a long weekend as planned, a quick search for hotels with a swimming pool in the Ironbridge area soon had me booking at this Holiday Inn and I'm very glad we did.

Located just a few minutes from the M54 at Telford, it's pretty central for most of the local atractions and has plenty of parking. Checking in with our two boys (aged 7 and 9) was quick and they were both given a Beano comic, ice-cold glass of squash and a delicious fresh chocolate cookie, which was a very nice touch.

Our room was on the second floor and had two double beds, coffee making facilities, a well equipped and clean bathroom and a very effective wall-mounted air conditioner that kept us lovely and cool whilst it was 29 Degrees C outside.

The Wi-Fi was free once we'd signed up to a simple membership/reward program hat tok a few minutes and the signal was good throughout and speeds perfectly adequate.

The hotel boats a rather excellent swimming pool / gym area with a jacuzzi (for adults) and having booked a timeslot (it gets very busy), our children had a great swim each day. Towels are provided and refreshments available poolside for a reasonable cost.

The full buffet breakfast is available at a discount (£10.50) for each adult, provided you purchase a voucher the day before. Kids eat free so it wasn't bad value for the four of us. There was plenty of choice of 'full English' items, cereals, pastries, fruit and cold meats etc. and it was OK for the price.

We slept soundly and although there was a wedding party going on downstairs on Saturday night, we weren't disturbed.

Checking out early on Sunday morning was efficient and the cost at under £140 for two nights with one breakfast was extremely reasonable.

Although some of the communal areas might seem a bit dated in terms of decor, the friendly staff, great prices and excellent pool more than compensated and I shall certainly not hesitate to book again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Lis F, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Telford - Ironbridge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear m1ngepiece

Thank you very much for your kind review and for all the feedback it contains as I am sure this will be helpful to readers when deciding whether to come and stay with us. I was particularly glad to read how well our children's facilities were received as this is something new that we have started to do for the summer holiday period.

I hope you will come back and stay with us again some time.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

we stayed here 3 weeks ago and, for a second time, this weekend. On our last stay we were given a smokers room (no other rooms left). The smokers rooms are not nice for non smokers. This time we did not have the unpleasant smell on everything,but otherwise the rooms were practically the same. The difference in price was amazing, however, as our second stay was on a deal at £50 odd, and the first time at around £95. The pricing became even more bizarre - breakfast was charged at £15 for the 2 of us on our first trip and at £21 the second trip. All very puzzling and actually irritating.

The rooms are ok, good aircon, nice aspect,( though the hotel is sited by a roundabout in a sort of hotel area. so very little is in normal walking distance except a road really). The spa is pretty nice. The lockers in the changing rooms are a boit hit and miss, but lots of them so could find one that worked eventually. Great showers in the changing rooms. Pool is not too small, and has a hot tub. Pretty warm water also.

The bar was very 'muggy' due to the weather, and so we elected to eat in the restaurant both times. the first time we had an ok meal which came in at about £50 including a beer, pud and coffee. The second time it came to more and was frankly not good. The staff seemed harassed and overworked though trying very hard. Roast chicken was £13.95 with peas and a few tiny potatoes. The wait was lengthy and when it came the chicken was skinless, rubbery and tough. It tasted as if it had been possibly microwaved, fried or was made from a very elderly bird. The price was ridiculous even if it had been ok, which it was not. We decided to be good humoured about it because it was so damn hot yesterday and people were melting.

The bed was a bit soft, though comfy and we slept well, but I had a bad back this morning (it went off after a good walk). Black out curtains were terrific.

Breakfast was dreadful. There was one chef trying to do everything including making individual pancakes. This is ridiculous behaviour. Food was pretty greasy, I think my egg was fried in lard. Tea and coffee was served in tiny pots and cups, though staff would bring you more if you wanted them to, you had to catch them and they were very, very busy.

For £10.95 you want more than usual (this was hash browns, bacon, sausage, beans, scrambled/fried eggs and mushrooms on top of croissant, toast, cereals and fruit juice) - eg decent coffee, good and plentiful tea, served in nice cups, with the good napkins (they actually at 9am, took away dinner napkins from our table and replaced them with crappy thin ones) a fish choice, much better quality juice, decent veggie breakfast stuff. There was a range of fruit and of course the silly pancake thing.

The problem is, there is nowhere else to go for breakfast and having paid over a tenner, we ate what we could (I know that is down to us, but I bet most people would) and it was not really very nice food, so it sat in the stomach all day being greasy. I think it should be cheaper, have less range but be better cooked. And stop being mean with tea! Also, you really need to offer skimmed milk these days - they had soya but not skimmed.

Oh, and decaf coffee, even at dinner, was instant. Yuch.

Parking is good and safe. The staff are nice but the restaurant staff seem overworked.

This is a good hotel in some ways, but really lets itself down over food and over-pricing of food.

Room Tip: some of the rooms are a long walk and the smokers rooms are revolting.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear wanda12

Thank you for taking time to post a review after your recent stay with us. We always appreciate feedback, both positive and negative, as it helps us to continually improve the service we provide to our guests. I have sent you a private message inviting you to communicate directly with me so that I can properly investigate the negative issues that you mentioned. Please accept my apologies in the meantime.

Our hotel is located on the edge of Telford Town Centre which means we are a 6-7minutes walk to the indoor shopping centre and the newly developed Southwater area which has just had a new library, promenade and lake and there are new restaurants and a cinema due to open over the next couple of months. We are also right next door to the beautiful town park and Wonderland which is easily accessible from the rear of the hotel through a private gate.

I look forward to hearing from you but I do hope you will come and stay with us again, to explore all that is available in our town.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We were in town for a conference and due to proximity to the conference center picked Holiday Inn. Big mistake. The hotel is VERY DATED. The soft goods in the rooms are worn, pilled, nasty and not well done. The bathrooms are adequate at best. The public area sofas are ratty. The restaurant is fine for breakfast but that is all. The room had a stale rather musty smell. Come to find out when trying to use the AC...the vents were covered in so much lint that it did not function properly. When we called the front desk arrangements were made to clean it. Housekeeping came but cleaned the internal filter which was even nastier. We were told she had no way and in fact had no idea HOW to clean the external filter. They have a lovely outdoor area that we were told we could enjoy one afternoon and then got yelled at for having our own water as it ends up that it is part of the restaurant. The waitress was horribly rude and didn't care that the front desk had told us to enjoy the area. All in all, I would stay just about anywhere else in town, the Ramada, The International...your car....

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Pilotgal

I was very sorry to read of your disappointing stay which is most unusual and I have sent you a private message to ask you for a little more information to enable me to investigate your experience.

Our hotel does have a rolling refurbishment programme and is a good way through the bedrooms and plans are in place to update the bar furniture.

I do sincerely apologise for the lack of hospitality shown to you and I look forward to being able to communicate directly with you about this.