“Dried Blood on the Sink!!!”

Buckatree Hall Hotel
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Telford
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Dried Blood on the Sink!!!”
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I stayed in this hotel for a relative wedding and was appalled at the treatment I received. The room we stayed in was classed as a superior room and although the common areas of the hotel were nice the room we stayed in was somewhat dated. The first issue was tissue in the toilet. Then hair on the toilet. Then hair on the basin, all of which i could have just about forgiven, the real issue was when i decided to take a bath and looked at the underside of the basin! There was dried blood on it!! I complained, no suitable alternative room was available and instead the maid ran a cloth over the basin (i.e. she did not actually clean it). No apology was ever forthcoming and when we checked out they actually tried to overcharge us. In utter discussed I wrote a letter of complaint. Its been several weeks now and no reply. Awful - would not send my worse enemy to this hotel!!

2 Thank Russell E
Buckatree_Hall, General Manager at Buckatree Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay here at Buckatree Hall Hotel.

In awareness that I have replied to you through seperate channels other than this website I again apologise for the standard of service that you have received.

Upon investigation we have determined that this fortunately was not dried blood on the sink but rather a fruit tea which was spilt on the edge. No excuse though for the standard of cleanliness.

Rob Nicholson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Booked this hotel for one night, as I was attending a friend's birthday party. I had a room overlooking the terrace with a balcony. I have read other reviews but I have to say the room was beautifully decorated, immaculately clean, everything worked and I was very optimistic. We had food and drinks on the terrace in the afternoon, the waiter was lovely and nothing was too much trouble. Reception booked us a taxi to go to the party, a great firm, who came and collected us as well for a very reasonable price. The shower was lovely and hot and I had a very comfortable bed and a great night's sleep. Thats where it ends unfortunately.

In the morning, having rung my friends, who had gone down for breakfast myself and my son did the same. Breakfast at the weekend is 8-10. We went down at 9.25 to be told there was a 20 minute wait and that we could wait in the bar or up in our room and someone would ring us. As my son is autistic we decided to return to our room to wait. Half an hour later, with no-one having rung (and it being almost 10) I went back down to the restaurant which by then was less than half full. The waitress ignored me and carried on doing what she was doing. I went back up to my room and packed, I then went to reception and informed them of my experience. At that we were then shown into the restaurant, where practically everyone had finished. The cereals and juices (which I presume they had but I dont know) had gone. I dont know what the breakfast selection was as all I was asked was "do you want a full English." To be honest I just wanted to leave by then. Having ordered coffee, toast and full English, we both felt that we were being a nuisance as the staff obviously wanted to clear up. My coffee was stewed, the breakfast lukewarm and I felt so uncomfortable that we ate hardly anything and checked out. To be fair to the manager she did not charge me for the drinks which were on my bill from the day before as way of compensation. The experience upset my son for the day and so for me, I will never be able to stay in this hotel again if I have my son with me. Its a nice hotel, some of the staff are genuinely polite and helpful, but not all, but either book room only, or get down early for breakfast if you actually want to get any.

Room Tip: Lower floor rooms have a balcony and are lovely, but you are overlooked once you open the curtains i...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Christine M
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your visit to the Buckatree Hall Hotel.

May I firstly sincerely apologise for the service standard you experienced at breakfast. In awareness that you did speak to a member of my management team and this was addressed on the day I have since also asked for this to be reviewed in our service standards to ensure that what you experienced is never repeated.

Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2012

We've just returned from the Buckatree Hall Hotel having had a very pleasant Sunday lunch. Friendly, attentive service, decent portions of poached salmon with fresh vegetables (main course) preceded by creative, light starters--ideal for today's mini-heatwave.

The Buckatree Hall Hotel is located on the lower slopes of The Wrekin, so it makes an ideal spot for meeting up for a walk before or after lunch. While we dined outside, the hotel has been recently renovated, so the decor is fresh and clean.

No downsides worth mentioning except that the friendly service might have been a little speedier--although it was perfectly adequate for Sunday lunch--and that the hotel could potentially make more of the terrace space by providing tables and chairs on the lawn as well as the patio itself. Given the recent soggy conditions, it may be that this is just something that isn't possible at the moment. Lastly, we were also caught unawares by the sun and would have appreciated a parasol or sunshade.

Room Tip: Best views from the rooms at the back of the hotel that look down off The Wrekin
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments following your Sunday Lunch experience here at Buckatree Hall Hotel.

The Food and Beverage Team here at the hotel have been working hard in the past 12 months to make Sunday Lunch a real success and it is with feedback such as yours that we know we are heading in the right direction.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back again in the future

Essex
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We stayed for a long weekend and found this hotel worthy of its three stars for cleanliness, ground maintenance and staff attention. Our room, overlooking the gardens was of a good size and well equipped.
The downside is the card door entry system is rubbish requiring repeated key changes an if you have a breathing problem finding your room door will not open is no joke! Also there is plenty of parking but again for the fit, either uphill or downhill. The very few spaces by the main door could be designated disabled only.
Finally the beds are very hard, but that is a matter of personal choice as is decor upon which I will not comment.
To end on a bright note breakfast was excellent, bar meal good, restaurant not quite up to the mark.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms with balcony are nice.
1 Thank mjtopping
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent feedback following your stay here at Buckatree Hall Hotel.

I have passed your comments on to my team and we will use these to assist with making the necessary improvements for all of our guests where required

We do hope to be able to welcome you back to Buckatree Hall Hotel in the future

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We arrived at the start of our staycation and the whole experience we received was not particularly good.

After ordering Scampi and chunky chips in the bar for an early tea I basically received what seemed like frozen, bland Scampi and what could only be described as sliced potato that in no way resembled chips!

The room itself was OK but in what didnt seem like a busy hotel we were placed in the room furthest from the entrance which as a smoker is not ideal! Any further away from the reception and I would have been stood on the M54!

The final straw was in the morning when we realised that we had not been informed what time breakfast was served when we checked in but we incorrectly assumed that it would be served at least until 10am like most hotels but alas no, breakfast finished at 9am and when my Fiance phoned reception to see if we could get anything even a coup of coffee (it was 9.30am) she was told point blank tough breakfast finished at 9am and that was it.

Not a great start to our staycation will not be going anywhere near the place ever again and if you do, then on your own heads be it!

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your feedback following your recent visit to Buckatree Hall Hotel.

i have passed your comments on regarding the food quality you experienced to my Head Chef to use constructively for improvement.

With regards to your bedroom facilities, we can offer smoking rooms if required. Perhaps on your next visit we can arrange for you to stay in one of these if they are available and requested at the time of making the reservation.

With regards to your comments about the service standards you experienced the next morning, I was very surprised to read that this was the case in the level of service you experienced and must apologise if this was the case. I have passed this on to my Food and Beverage Manager for review.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back to Buckatree Hall Hotel in the forthcoming future

North West UK
Reviewed 19 July 2012

We needed somewhere to stay overnight to be in the area for the following morning. We didn't pay a huge amount having booked through booking.com. With these 2 facts in mind on the whole we were reasonably satisfied with everything except the food.
The hotel is located in a pleasant rural area and is clean and smart with areas that have clearly undergone some refurbishment. Similarly, the room we were allocated was spotless with inoffensive decor and the usual amenities for a hotel of its type. The great things were huge fluffy towels, smart TV, lots of storage space and ironing facility in room. The downside was an exceptionally firm bed, poor hospitality tray and toiletries.
We ate an evening bar meal and have say it was pretty poor.
The food while plentiful was not good quality or prepared with any level of finesse. It was comparitively pricey so felt quite let down and neither of us ate it all despite being hungry.
Breakfast was the usual fare but again some things were let down by presentation and quality. The breakfast room, however, is lovely and bright with white table cloths and fesh flowers.
The staff were helpful and the service was fine.
This hotel seems to be focussing all of its attentions on its image and not on the essentials that make a stay very pleasant and comfortable.
I'd stay again at a reasonable rate but would eat elsewhere.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Buckatree Hall Hotel.

I was pleased to read that we were able to provide you with all of the amenities required to make your stay pleasant but offer my apologies for the shortfall of quality you experienced when dining with us.

I have fed your comments back on to my senior Food and Beverage Team and Head Chef and we will endeavour to improve our standards.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back to Buckatree Hall Hotel in the future

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We requested a quiet room but found that a wedding party had been allowed to put up a bouncy castle 20m from our window. Fine for the children during the day but when the drunks and idiots at the wedding decided to scream and shout at 1145pm and 1.30am it was beyond a joke. Poor management allowed this in the first place and allowing themm to return after the 1145pm fiasco at 1.30am was even woesr. Whoever allowed this should be sacked and I would never go there again at a weekend incase there was a wedding with another bouncy castle. We visit the area often as we have relatives in the area but I certainly wouldn't go back. having said that the breakfast was good but wasn't impressed by being presented with a bill although I had prepaid. They should have been giving me money.

Room Tip: Pick a room in another hotel
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us here at Buckatree Hall Hotel.

May I apologise that your stay was marred with guests from a wedding taking place being in the grounds in the early hours. Since your visit we ensure that access to these parts of the hotel in the early hours is restricted and monitored to prevent future guests experiencing the same.

Rob Nicholson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Telford
Ramada Hotel Telford Ironbridge
Hadley Park House Hotel
#6 of 21 in Telford
Park Inn by Radisson Telford
Telford Hotel & Golf Resort

Been to Buckatree Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!