“Potential is there......”

Buckatree Hall Hotel
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Telford
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

I will try to keep this brief.
Service particularly from younger staff was hit and miss. Generally speaking......cutlery dropped onto the table, different menus from one another offered to us on a couple of occasions, we overheard a younger staff member complaining about someone to another staff member at breakfast one morning. Food ordered at dinner on one occasion was not what was stated on the menu, so a free dinner was offered by way of apology, which was good but shame it happened. The roof below our balcony was littered with hundreds and I mean hundreds of cigarette butts, surely this could be kept on top of by the hotel, although it has to be said you can't legislate for the disgusting habits from previous guests. I'm no anti smoker, just find it disgusting to see the evidence of it littering the area. Going back to the service one staff member very abruptly "placed" a spoon on our table with no real acknowledgement, rather than place it professionally. I'm not trying to nit pick it's just that good service is essential in the hospitality industry.
Positives.... Location, breakfast was good, and some members of staff, we thought Siri the waiter was very good and helpful. Overall this may be a surprise given the negatives, but we actually quite enjoyed the hotel but there needs to be some attention to detail, perhaps with some re training of staff. We have read a review below this one and we must have stayed at the same time as there was a wedding on, and it didn't surprise us to see some issues with staff in that review. We stayed end of June to 2nd July.

• Stayed: June 2014
WayneJenson, General Manager at Buckatree Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Mel & Jason,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Your comments have been taken on board and our staff training is currently being reviewed to ensure a much higher standard - in line with our normal operating is achieved. A balanced review is always welcome and I am delighted to hear that you would return.

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed on a deal
Very welcoming staff and nice entrance to hotel
Our food was very average and quite bland but our room was ok and the staff very helpful
It was a reasonable price due to the deal we had booked
I must say the breakfast was superb though and lots of it

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am pleased to hear you found the staff to be welcoming and very helpful but disappointed you have not enjoyed your meals. Luckily it appears breakfast went some way to making up for this.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed here on a 2 night heritage deal which included B&B on both mornings and Dinner on one evening and 12 month ironbridge passport to 10 museums in the area.

On check in there was Anne Marie who was very welcoming and very helpful,
The only criticism, if i had one was that we were not informed of what was included in our package.

The room (Superior Double) was very nice and had everything needed. Bathroom nice and clean although there was only one set of complimentary toiletries for 2 people. It had a
Balcony looking out over the well tendered lawns.

Well the 2 nights could not have been different.

First night.....

Decided to stay in the hotel and have a few drinks and dinner, Sat in the Bar which was very busy as there was a wedding on in the function room and some of the guests had filtered through to the bar.
Bar staff were very good, once they had seen your key card they were happy to charge your drinks to your room without having to show it each and every time.
Anne Marie came into the Bar and informed us of what dinner options were included in our package before we went through to the restaurant.
Dinner was a set menu but there was no problem with mixing and matching with the bar menu if you preferred.
We enjoyed the dinner and then went back into the Bar to have a nightcap.

Day 2.....

Breakfast was Chaotic, No tables available so one guy who was waiting on said to wait in the Bar as there was a queue for tables but didn't take any names or room numbers so when he came into the bar when tables became available whoever he seen first would get invited through.
20 minutes later after telling him we existed we finally got a table.
Breakfast however was buffet style and I must say was really enjoyable.
We decided to take advantage of the passport ticket and visited some of the museums but to be honest if I had to pay the £27 for the passport i would not have been impressed.
we returned to the Hotel at approx 4pm and went to the Bar where we found 'Donna' on the Bar who we knew from the previous evening.
I asked her for a pint of Strongbow which she started to serve but the Barrel ran out and i was bluntly told 'The strongbow is off'. I asked if it had just ran out and can she just get the barrel changed. I even offered to do it for her. She asked me to have something else, I refused, With a big 'Sigh' she left the Bar and got someone from reception to come and change it. She then served our drinks and I asked if she would charge it to our room again and she said I need to see your Key-card. I stated that she was serving us the previous evening and she knows we are staying there.
We had been out walking all day so didn't take it out with us and it was in our room but she wouldn't charge it to the room so we gave her cash but she had no till so she gave us the money back and said im not bothered im going home anyway, with that she disappeared so we had a free drink each.
After that there was nobody on the bar at all so we went up to the room to get ready for dinner.
We decided to eat at the Hotel again as there is nowhere local to go without driving or taking a taxi, When we came back down to the bar we were welcomed by 'Tom' who we also met on the previous evening and he knew what we wanted to drink without me asking and then asked 'charge it to your room sir?' Exactly what a bartender should be like.
We had a few drinks then went into the restaurant for Dinner. We were met by Cheryl who showed us to our table and then came back to take our order.
We both ordered the Rump steak Medium.
Our food was delivered to the table by 'Kia' who literally dropped it on the table and run off.
She did not offer us any sauces, there was no vinegar on the table either.
I got the attention of Cheryl and asked for some mustard and vinegar which she brought quickly.
My steak was really nice but my partners was like shoe leather and 'Rare' and really inedible.
We mentioned it to Cheryl who offered a replacement or something else.
She apologised and then we found out that the lady who served our food so abruptly was actually a supervisor who passed a message onto 'Cheryl' to give us a drink to make up for the poor food.
After Dinner we went back to the bar and were looked after by 'Tom' but 'Kia' was walking back and to the bar from reception but didn't even acknowledge we were actually there when I would have thought she had the opportunity to apologise personally but did not.
Check out was easy with no issues and the ladies on reception at that point were very professional.
On the whole I got the impression that when Anne marie is not on-site then there is no leadership and the place falls apart, 'Shame'

Room Tip: Superior rooms overlook the gardens or lake
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank joe_mac001

Dear Joe,
Thank you for taking the time to post such a comprehensive review. As I have responded to you directly following your stay my reply here is for the benefit of the Tripadvisor community at large who we respect greatly.
We are not perfect and clearly on this occasion we have failed to meet both yours and indeed our own expectations. All team members that you have highlighted have been rightly praised for a job well done and those that perhaps require additional training will of course receive it in order to bring them up to standard.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights for his birthday and all I can say is its ok and nothing special. Staff not very helpful and service in the restaurant was a joke. We were asked 5 times if we were ready for our dessert and each time we said we will let you know which is quite annoying. Will not be returning. Rooms however were ok although was a little tired.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank SmithyElaine

Dear Elaine,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am most sorry that you have not found the team to be helpful and your comments have been shared. It can be a difficult balance between not giving attentive service and being ignored and clearly on this occasion we have been over eager.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

My partner and I stayed at this hotel on a weekend wowcher deal. I had never heard of this hotel and was pleasantly surprise at just how lovely it was. The location is close to the Wrekin, a local landmark and was very peaceful and relaxing. We stayed Friday to Sunday on a DBB deal.

Upon arrival their was a wedding reception on going and the hotel was very busy. However the staff were helpful and attentive throughout our stay and nothing was to much trouble. The food in the restaurant was first class and the wine waiter was helpful and knowledgeable and selected just the right wine for our food and not the most expensive either.

We had a great weekend and, according to my partner had a very relaxing stay the staff were first class, food and wine lovely and would recommend this hotel to one and all.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking the pound as very nice to sit on your balcony and listen to the birds an...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Philip9528
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed at the Buckatree in May 2014 for a weekend break to the Ironbridge area. The Buckatree is just a couple of hundred yards from the Wrekin Hill (felt more like a mountain while we were walking up it!). The hotel looks dated from the outside, but inside it is comfortable and welcoming with lots of chairs and sofas dotted around to relax and drink in. Outside the gardens are beautifully maintained with a pond to walk around. On the patio are several sets of garden furniture to sit, relax and enjoy a drink. We chose to eat a meal in the bar area on the Friday night that we arrived. We were so pleased with it and the ambiance in the bar area that we actually ate there again the following evening. There is a more formal restaurant for guests if you choose. Breakfast was a self service buffet, with hot and cold food available. The staff were very helpful and friendly. We would recommend this hotel as a good central place to stay. We visited the beautiful town of Ironbridge and the Victorian Museum there (well worth an afternoon visit).

Room Tip: All the rooms have a balcony, but perhaps the first or second floors are preferable for the view ove...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Happynanna
WayneJenson, General Manager at Buckatree Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Happy nanna,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am delighted you have enjoyed your stay and all that the Buckatree has to offer. Our bar meals are always popular and a nice alternative to the formal ambiance of the restaurant.

Regards,

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Hotel is in such a lovely relaxing environment! It's just a shame about the staff! Was on a tour trip and when eating our evening meal I overheard a young lady she was attractive and looked so polite until she mentioned to another member of staff and I quote "I hate old people and I hate tours" I was disgusted! It's such a shame because the hotel Is lovely I just hope something is done about this member of staff and not just left to upset the future hotel residents! If it's any help to the manager she had strawberry blonde hair and was tallish compared to other staff on that night, I may be wrong but her name sounded like a Laurie or Lauren Pardon me If I am mistaken on the name. She was lovely young girl just needs to be taught some manners, overall Thankyou to every other member of staff for making us welcome

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank J G

Dear J G,

I would like to apologise for the personal remarks made by a staff member, these comments are in no way endorsed or shared by the hotel. Appropriate action has been taken and I would kindly ask that you contact me at the hotel so that I can apologise in person.

I did try calling you after you had departed as I was aware via the guest comment card that you had left at reception that there was an issue. Unfortunately the number you left was incorrect.

On a positive note it is pleasing that you were able to recognise this an isolated incident in your praise of the rest of the team.

Regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Telford
Ramada Hotel Telford Ironbridge
Telford Hotel & Golf Resort
Best Western Valley Hotel
Best Western Valley Hotel
#1 of 3 in Ironbridge

Been to Buckatree Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!