“IF ONLY THE FOOD WAS AS GOOD AS THE STAFF THAT SERVED IT.”

Telford Hotel & Golf Resort
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Telford
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“IF ONLY THE FOOD WAS AS GOOD AS THE STAFF THAT SERVED IT.”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed here on a golfing break with a group of friends. On arrival, the receptionists were efficient and friendly and nothing seemed too much trouble for them. Our room was on the 2nd floor off a corridor near the restaurant. It was small but adequate with a small but well equipped bathroom. The room was overpoweringly hot and as a fan was found in the wardrobe, we guessed that this was an ongoing problem in warm weather. We did stay during a very warm spell, but as the window can only be opened a few inches for safety reasons, it was impossible to cool the room down.
Sadly the dinner menus were extremely disappointing and the food itself even more so. On Sunday evening on our first night at dinner, the food was dreadful, the restaurant appeared full to capacity and this obviously put unreasonable pressure on the kitchen staff. The food did improve as the week progressed but was still disappointing and unimaginative. Cottage Pie, Cod Fingers and Chips, Beef Burger and Chips, Beef Stew, Half a Roast Chicken are a few examples. The salmon was good and the pork on Wednesday night looked good. If only the food had been as good as the restaurant staff that served it. They were so helpful and friendly and went out of their way to please. Breakfast was a self service buffet and once again, the waiting staff were a credit to the hotel. Drinks were expensive. The pool, gym and spa facilities were excellent.

We thoroughly enjoyed the golf course and relaxing in the golf bar afterwards. The barman was once again, extremely helpful. The Telford Golf & Country Club have staff they should be very proud of but need to take a serious look at the quality and choice of food served at dinner. So many negative comments about the food on Trip Advisor must indicate there is an ongoing problem that needs to be addressed.

Room Tip: If stairs are a problem, ask for a ground floor room. I believe there was a lift down to the lower g...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Patricia D
Michael L, General Manager at Telford Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments, I am sorry to hear we failed to meet your expectation with our food this is an area we are currently focousing on and I am certain next time you visit you will be delighted with our progress.
once again thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Michael lavizani

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Handforth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My husband purchased a gift card for my Christmas present sadly it was a two/three month wait before I could use it - all sorts of stipulations on the card meant that guests staying at the hotel for a spa weekend had priority over those not staying. My husband was not made aware of this when he bought the gift card. Meet and greet was OK although I did expect to be shown into the changing rooms where a robe was made available - this would have been a lot more relaxing. My neck/back massage was good - so good that I didn't want it to end. My deluxe pedicure experience on the other hand was extremely poor. Not much attention was applied to my feet and my gel polish lifted and peeled on the second day. Quite frankly I couldn't wait to leave the complex - oh and I did get a robe eventually! Two treatments cost £78.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael L, General Manager at Telford Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to give me your comments, I am disappointed to hear of your exprience this is not the usual high standards that we have.
I have spoken to our Spa Manager and he will be looking into your exprience fully.
As a gesture of good will and to restore your confidenc in us I would like to ask you to contact me personnaly so I can arrange a complimentory Spa day for you.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Once agin thank you for bringing this to my attention.
michael Lavizani
West Midlands
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We are regulars at this hotel/spa as it's always a reliably relaxing experience. Facilities are always clean and staff are always really friendly and welcoming. We had a Groupon Voucher for our visit which made it a bargain!! £12 for two, use of facilities and an hot drink + danish each. 20% off treatments too. My husband had a head, neck and shoulder massage which near enough sent him to sleep, he was so relaxed it was difficult to get him to move for the rest of the day (so thanks for that!) I had a gel manicure as we were going to a wedding the day after and my therapist Rachael was so nice, she helped me pic a perfect summery colour and was so chatty and did a fantastic job!! I was so pleased, they've lasted almost 2 and a half weeks! We will always come back here. Cannot fault it, hopefully I will get to stay over and have a nice meal in the restaurant too soon!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
thank you for your kind comments, I am delighted to hear you had a pleasent Spa day with us.
We hope to see you again very soon.
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I have just spent a May weekend with some golfing friends. The hotel reception staff were efficient and friendly, the rooms were excellent, bathroom fine with an excellent shower, the golf was tough due to the wild weather but considering the time of year the course was in a good condition. However the food was very disappointing for a 4* hotel. The menu was unimaginative. Lentil soup, avocado and prawn sundae without the avocado, pate with a lettuce leaf and limited toast, roast chicken,salad and chips, fish fingers peas and chips, or burger and chips is hardly 4* food. Coffee was ridiculously expensive.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ann B
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments, I am sorry to hear we did not meet your expectation with the quality of our food. This is an area that we are currently focousing on and I am certain next time you and your friends visit us you will be pleased with our progress.
Once again thank you for bringing this to my attention and for taking the time to do so.
kind regards
Portarlington, Ireland
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights in May. Check in a little slow and laboured but the person checking us in was very pleasant and helpful. The room was good and had all the usual facilities plus tea/ coffee maker and an iron for clothes which was useful. The shower was nice and powerful however there was no air con. Even though it was May and the weather wasn't that great, I had to open the room window.

We had dinner in the restaurant which was good with fast service and reasonably priced (for a hotel). Checkout was efficient, the bill was correct and offered in euros which was handy.

We were there for a business meeting and the facilities were adequate.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your very kind comments,I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back I hope very soon.
Once again thank you for taking the time to wright.
kind regards
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I stayed here by myself as I had to attend something in the near by area, when I arrived I asked if there was any chance there was a Nokia charger as I had left mine behind and the staff were so rude and told me they would "check" but all the lady did was walk straight in and out of the room and said "no". The way she spoke to me was very rude and she acted as if she was judging me. I had a bath which was an actually very nice bath and before I went to bed I flushed the toilet and all night since then the toilet sounded like it was leaking, there was a constant dripping noise which interrupted my sleep. I watched the TV for a while but the sound was tinny and static it was annoying so I decided to go to bed, I was in a king size room, which was really just two single mattresses pushed together but they kept coming apart in the night which again was very annoying. Due to not having my phone, I couldn't set an alarm therefore I had asked for a wake up alarm at 8am, however I did not get a wake up call, luckily I woke up at 7:45. The only positive about the trip was the lady who worked in the restraint she was lovely however the food was not too great so I left the majority and the croissants were hard. The same lady from the night before who was rude and didn't give me my wake up call, was on check out, she didn't ask me how my stay was, she just said "Thanks bye" and that was it. (she was quite small blonde hair in a pony about 25ish)
Overall I didn't enjoy my stay and didn't think it was worth the 65 or 75 that I paid.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank georgia423
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Although out of the way this hotel was great. I had a room in the 'old part' of the hotel and it was full of character looking out on an expanse of green. I ordered room service which I found very reasonable with enough choice. Breakfast on the other hand offered more than enough to keep all tastes happy with a succulent array of fresh fruit, pastries, jams, juices as well as the full English. I didn't have time to use the spa but wouldn't hesitate to use this hotel again - just lovely!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Michael L, General Manager at Telford Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments, I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We all look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Once again thank you for taking the time to comment.
Kind Regards
Michael Lavizani
Also consider these accommodations in or near Telford
Ramada Hotel Telford Ironbridge
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Holiday Inn Telford - Ironbridge
Park Inn by Radisson Telford
Mercure Telford Madeley Court Hotel
Best Western Valley Hotel
Best Western Valley Hotel
#1 of 3 in Ironbridge

Been to Telford Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!