“1st Anniversary”

Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Telford
Telford, United Kingdom
“1st Anniversary”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

What a lovely stay we had, this was our first Anniversary after getting Married there last May.
Pink Champagne was waiting for us in an ice bucket in our room, a lovely Anniversary Card from the Management and Staff, beautiful room, 706 which had lovely views.
We had a laugh as toilet was opposite the window, definitely a room with a view of the Golf course.

Food and service was very good, Reception very helpful, overall a very enjoyable stay.
Only small niggle, the Drinks at the Bar was very expensive.

Room Tip: Ashwood 706 in the Old Building, Darby House.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Fieldhouse28
Michael L, General Manager at Telford Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments, I am delighted to hear your first anniversary was a sucsses.
I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.
Michael Lavizani

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Me and my partner went here to relax for a couple of days over the bank holiday weekend. On arrival, the reception staff were very welcoming and helpful. The room was a good size and very clean. So far so good. Before we did anything else, we went for a relax in the spa which was lovely and set us up for the dinner we had booked in the restaurant that evening! So we sat down and ordered our food, the restaurant was quite busy as it was bank holiday weekend. Our starters were great so we were really looking forward to our mains! My boyfriend ordered the burger, he didn't actually eat any of it though as it was burnt to a crisp. He isn't a fussy eater and to be honest would usually just eat it anyway, he tried to get the attention of staff but no one came until I had finished my meal and his had been sat until it was cold. He ate the chips which came as part of his meal but found what looked like nail varnish blue spots on one of them.I had the pork belly, which was not as advertised at all, it was edible though. When the waitress came to take our plates away, my partner complained about the burger and showed her the blue chip. The waitress dismissed it and said she would speak to the chef. When she brought us the dessert menus, she said the chef said sorry. Obviously, we were unhappy with his as my partner was hungry by this point having not eaten most of his meal (we noticed a man sat a few tables down who had not touched his burger either) and we were a bit fed up of waiting around. During this time, we had also ordered another round of drinks which never surfaced. When the waitress came to take our dessert order, my partner asked what the chef had said about his meal and she said he apologised but she wasn't sure what he was going to do about it. Finally, the lovely restaurant manager (I think her name was Emily) came over and asked us what we were unhappy with. She was very approachable and dealt with the situation very well. She offered us a drink each on the house and said we wouldn't get charged any extra on top of what we had paid for the spa package, which we were very happy with. But then our desserts arrived. I ordered the sticky toffee pudding and my partner ordered the cheese board. They looked really nice, so we both went to tuck in. Unfortunately a piece of sweet corn set into my sauce caught my eye. We called over the restaurant manager again and she apologised and went to supervise a new pudding being plated for me, it was brought back quickly and efficiently. After that, the bar managed (Steve) made me a surprise cocktail which was divine and definitely helped me forget about the sweet corn! Overall, the staff were brilliant, the reception staff asked for feedback when we left and were very attentive and understanding about our complaint! The restaurant manager was brilliant, once she knew what had happened she handled it very well and we couldn't fault her or the bar manager Steve's service. Obviously, we wouldn't recommend the restaurant at all, it was very poor and we are just glad we didn't have to pay any extra for it! Next time, I think we will stick to bed and breakfast.

Room Tip: Stick to bed and breakfast, restaurant dinner not worth it at all!!
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments, I am delighted to hear Emily and Steve tried to recover what must have been very disappointing dinner exprience.
I am disappointed to hear about your exprience and would ask you to contact me personnaly next time you wish to stay with us, I would like to offer you a complimentory dinner for two and I am sure we will be able to restore your faith in the good quality of food that we are always striving to serve.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The hotel is easy to find from the M54 - good signage but hotel postcode does send you off into the estate.
On arrival the receptionists were excellent and our room was ready and waiting. Check in was quick and easy. Our room was clean, tidy and had everything; bar a fridge; that we could have needed. The bed was a large double so Mrs. was happy. We both slept well and comfortably. The room has a work space and a couple of easy chairs. Room temperature was ideal. We were not disturbed by neighbours but occasional children running along corridors was noticeable.
The hotel has an excellent leisure complex and the staff were welcoming and helpful. Even over the bank holiday weekend it was not crowded and so I was able to relax without tripping over bodies.
Restaurant did become a little crowded at times - not sure if result of "hen dos" or "golfing weekend".
Food was edible. Breakfast provided a reasonable choice. Bar is a bit pricy.
It is ideally located to walk into the gorge to go to Ironbridge where there are plenty of museums and cafes/pubs to get food. Children will love Bliss Hill and the Tar Tunnel.
Only disappointment was the fact that we had to use the bar area off the restaurant for bar meals rather than the main bar and it rained constantly - but we cannot blame Q for the rain.
There is an attached golf course but as some-one who does not ruin a good walk with a ball and a stick I cannot comment on the course - but there were a large number of people using it.

Room Tip: Ask for one further from the main corridor - i.e. a higher number e.g.304 or 205
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments, I am delighted to hear you had a relaxing weekend with us.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon I hope.
Once agina thank you for taking the time to comment.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed here on a golfing break with a group of friends. On arrival, the receptionists were efficient and friendly and nothing seemed too much trouble for them. Our room was on the 2nd floor off a corridor near the restaurant. It was small but adequate with a small but well equipped bathroom. The room was overpoweringly hot and as a fan was found in the wardrobe, we guessed that this was an ongoing problem in warm weather. We did stay during a very warm spell, but as the window can only be opened a few inches for safety reasons, it was impossible to cool the room down.
Sadly the dinner menus were extremely disappointing and the food itself even more so. On Sunday evening on our first night at dinner, the food was dreadful, the restaurant appeared full to capacity and this obviously put unreasonable pressure on the kitchen staff. The food did improve as the week progressed but was still disappointing and unimaginative. Cottage Pie, Cod Fingers and Chips, Beef Burger and Chips, Beef Stew, Half a Roast Chicken are a few examples. The salmon was good and the pork on Wednesday night looked good. If only the food had been as good as the restaurant staff that served it. They were so helpful and friendly and went out of their way to please. Breakfast was a self service buffet and once again, the waiting staff were a credit to the hotel. Drinks were expensive. The pool, gym and spa facilities were excellent.

We thoroughly enjoyed the golf course and relaxing in the golf bar afterwards. The barman was once again, extremely helpful. The Telford Golf & Country Club have staff they should be very proud of but need to take a serious look at the quality and choice of food served at dinner. So many negative comments about the food on Trip Advisor must indicate there is an ongoing problem that needs to be addressed.

Room Tip: If stairs are a problem, ask for a ground floor room. I believe there was a lift down to the lower g...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Patricia D
Michael L, General Manager at Telford Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments, I am sorry to hear we failed to meet your expectation with our food this is an area we are currently focousing on and I am certain next time you visit you will be delighted with our progress.
once again thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Michael lavizani
Handforth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My husband purchased a gift card for my Christmas present sadly it was a two/three month wait before I could use it - all sorts of stipulations on the card meant that guests staying at the hotel for a spa weekend had priority over those not staying. My husband was not made aware of this when he bought the gift card. Meet and greet was OK although I did expect to be shown into the changing rooms where a robe was made available - this would have been a lot more relaxing. My neck/back massage was good - so good that I didn't want it to end. My deluxe pedicure experience on the other hand was extremely poor. Not much attention was applied to my feet and my gel polish lifted and peeled on the second day. Quite frankly I couldn't wait to leave the complex - oh and I did get a robe eventually! Two treatments cost £78.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to give me your comments, I am disappointed to hear of your exprience this is not the usual high standards that we have.
I have spoken to our Spa Manager and he will be looking into your exprience fully.
As a gesture of good will and to restore your confidenc in us I would like to ask you to contact me personnaly so I can arrange a complimentory Spa day for you.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Once agin thank you for bringing this to my attention.
michael Lavizani
West Midlands
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We are regulars at this hotel/spa as it's always a reliably relaxing experience. Facilities are always clean and staff are always really friendly and welcoming. We had a Groupon Voucher for our visit which made it a bargain!! £12 for two, use of facilities and an hot drink + danish each. 20% off treatments too. My husband had a head, neck and shoulder massage which near enough sent him to sleep, he was so relaxed it was difficult to get him to move for the rest of the day (so thanks for that!) I had a gel manicure as we were going to a wedding the day after and my therapist Rachael was so nice, she helped me pic a perfect summery colour and was so chatty and did a fantastic job!! I was so pleased, they've lasted almost 2 and a half weeks! We will always come back here. Cannot fault it, hopefully I will get to stay over and have a nice meal in the restaurant too soon!!

Dear Guest,
thank you for your kind comments, I am delighted to hear you had a pleasent Spa day with us.
We hope to see you again very soon.
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I have just spent a May weekend with some golfing friends. The hotel reception staff were efficient and friendly, the rooms were excellent, bathroom fine with an excellent shower, the golf was tough due to the wild weather but considering the time of year the course was in a good condition. However the food was very disappointing for a 4* hotel. The menu was unimaginative. Lentil soup, avocado and prawn sundae without the avocado, pate with a lettuce leaf and limited toast, roast chicken,salad and chips, fish fingers peas and chips, or burger and chips is hardly 4* food. Coffee was ridiculously expensive.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ann B
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments, I am sorry to hear we did not meet your expectation with the quality of our food. This is an area that we are currently focousing on and I am certain next time you and your friends visit us you will be pleased with our progress.
Once again thank you for bringing this to my attention and for taking the time to do so.
kind regards
Michael Lavizani
Also consider these accommodations in or near Telford
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Buckatree Hall Hotel
Buckatree Hall Hotel
#3 of 21 in Telford
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,133 reviews

Been to Telford Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!