“some people!!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Grove At Walcot
Ranked #2 of 239 Restaurants in Telford
Price range: US$10 - US$34
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, View, Child-friendly, Kids, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We specialise in the black rock grill, steaks cook at the table on a lava rock,serving only the best extra mature Aberdeen Angus and wild steaks and have a huge selection of home made desserts and serve afternoon tea from 3pm on a Sundays. For afternoon teas bookings only.
Telford, United Kingdom
“some people!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

I would just like to comment on the recent review that says "never again". I was sitting at the "supposed table of 4 that walked out" and would just like to put the reviewer right on her comments. Firstly I cannot comment on the lady's feeling about her recent experience, but i can say that I heard her husband say how much he enjoyed his steak!! Also we were on the table right next to them - we were a table of 3 people not 4. We did not "walk out". We eat at the Grove 3 to 4 times a week some weeks. We dine there with a lot of different friends and have done so for a long time. Usually when we have finished our meal, we leave the table and go to the bar to sit and have more drinks. I can say that ALL the staff at the Grove are extremely pleasant and accommodating and nothing is too much trouble. Whilst the lady says that the staff told her that kangaroo tasted like steak - she did not have to order it!!!! Why would you order something "wacky" like kangaroo if it is going to be the first time you have tried it - then say you didn't like it??? There is an extensive steak menu or indeed an extensive menu to choose from......All i can say is don't listen to this review - look at the fact that this restaurant is No 2 on trip advisor - it did not get there because of reviews like this one - also these people went in a couple of weeks ago and there have been excellent reviews loaded since then.......

3 Thank debgarbett1
keever0, Owner at The Grove At Walcot, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
hi,, thank-you so much for taking the time to reply back to the previous review, and thank-you for your lovely comments ,we do appreciate all our customers comments but as with the last reviewer nothing would have been right for her ,, we will look forward to seeing you again soon x

telford
“never again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

Poor start. Table was sticky. Interesting menu but some items not available.
Waitress recommended steak. My husband ordered steak as recommended.
I would have liked venison I was told there was none left but the kangaroo tastes the same.
Our meals arrived and as the food was put in front of us the tomato sat on the steak slid onto the table. It was grabbed by the waitress and put back onto the steak with her hands. The chips were under cooked and the salad bitter and past its best, the cucumber drying while the tomato in the salad over ripe, had been cut into slices for a while and were soggy. the Kangaroo tasted like liver. The steak was very tender but tasteless. Just to add insult to injury the waitress could see we were struggling through the meal and arrived with two plates as she slide the top one off the bottom one towards my husband she said you are slow eaters put the food onto this to stop it over cooking on the tile. these plates were stone cold. That was as much as we could manage or take. We had both worked our way through some of the meat but couldn't eat the chips or salad. On the table next to us were four people who left their food, got up and walked out. When we arrived at the bar the landlord commented that the kangaroo should taste like liver. (Pre warned it appears). I would say this is the worst meal I have had in Shropshire ever. Would never recommend the Grove and will not be going back.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Patriciagainham
keever0, Owner at The Grove At Walcot, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
well !!! what can i say,, im sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us ,, fortunately most people do ! ,, we cannot be held responsible for your choice in your meal !!! No one had said the kangaroo was anything like venison . Because you didn't enjoy your meal ,, i feel it unfair for you to say that the table next to you left their meal and left the restaurant, being as they are regular diners of ours and were at the bar,, you said on the night that they had left and we told you then that they had not ,, so why ? and your husband enjoyed his meal,,as our regular diners overheard and as far as our staff is concerned , not one of them would have done as you have said , they are extremely thorough,competent, courteous, and well mannered, and as you can see from all our reviews , i do feel that because you chose wrong on the evening ,everything from entry to leaving was not right for you ! you had a wide range of steaks , and other assorted meals to chose from and you choice was the kangaroo !!!!!!!!!
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

I really enjoyed my 'on the rock' steak as it was interesting to watch the meat cook before my eyes. The main was so delicious but my boyfriend and I were so tempted by the beautiful desserts displayed by the bar. I had banoffee pie with ice cream. It was SO amazing. My boyfriend and I came on a beautiful sunny day and it made the beer garden so beautiful with the flowers, patio and decor. Inside of the grove was very rustic and I really like the aquarium area near the bar. The staff are very friendly which helps to create a relaxed atmosphere and this place is definitely for pet lovers as there is fish, a cat and a dog all under one restaurant. I'm really excited to visit the grove again as the waiter recommended what I should try on our next visit.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
keever0, Owner at The Grove At Walcot, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
thankyou for your super review,, we hope fully will see you again soonx
Shropshire
“Best Steaks going”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

My girlfriend and I drove past 5 or 6 possible places to eat, but the positive reviews swayed our decision to eat here. I am now pleased to contribute favourably to the reviews. We ate here on a Saturday evening and I booked a table to avoid disappointment. There are a variety of steaks to choose from which are all served on the rock! The steak was delicious and it felt like a very original dining experience. We also had cake with ice cream which was equally impressive! I now understand what all the hype is about and we hope to return sometime.

keever0, Owner at The Grove At Walcot, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
thankyou for your super review ,we are really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon x
Wellington, United Kingdom
“best Sunday platter ever.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

Decided to take a day off from cooking sunday dinner, went to the Grove , beautiful surroundings, Bombadier beer, and what a great meal we had, 5 of us chose the Sunday Platter, massive dish placed in the centre of table full of 3 different meats of the day, lovely roasters, all the Veg in the world, 2 large gravy boats, apple sauce, the full monty, you can ask for more meat or anything else,but we actually left meat on our plate, unheard of in our house,completely stuffed, and then we had 4 fantastic sweets, service great, very friendly staff, cannot fault the Grove, don't change a thing, note:our 9 yr old ate for free, price of dinner £9.99, highly recommend visiting the Grove, thanks John and staff.

keever0, Owner at The Grove At Walcot, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
thankyou for your wonderful review,, the platters are new to our menu and are going well ,, see you again soon x