“TOPS IN TELFORD”

Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Telford
Devizes
“TOPS IN TELFORD”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We found this a very comfortable hotel and the staff very friendly and help full even booking a table in the Olive Tree Restaurant in the Holiday Express next door, food is amazing. An ideal location for walking and access to local attractions. Car parking can be a bit of a nightmare if a show is on in Expo centre.

Room Tip: "Lower floor rooms easy access"
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Lis F, Guest Relations Manager at International Hotel Telford, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Trevor K

Many thanks for your lovely review and I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed on your compliments to my colleagues who work at the Holiday Inn Telford which is right next door to us.

As you discovered, our hotel is ideally centrally located for exploring lots of interesting places in this beautiful county of Shropshire and so I hope you will come back and stay with us again, and explore even more!

I'm sorry you had difficulty in parking, that is not the norm, we share a large carpark with the Holiday Inn and please be aware that there is a large, lower section at the far side of the carpark which can be used if the top car park is busy.

Lis Frost, Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night to break a long journey. Have stayed before so knew what to expect. A standard stay at a large nameless hotel. Room was pretty clean (not spotless, a little dusty and think it might be time for a new shower head!), bed comfy enough etc. I always find it weird that big hotels dont have ceiling lights in the main part of the room. Was woken up at 6 am by banging doors which was a bit annoying. Breakfast was fine. I just had cereal and toast which I was more than happy with. I did stay in a holiday inn the following night (not the one next door) and found that to be slightly better mostly because they had fresh fruit, newspapers and herbal teas at breakfast. All in all I would stay again if the occasion required it

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Lis F, Guest Relations Manager at International Hotel Telford, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear AS45221

Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you had an ok stay with us.

I do hope you will come and stay with us on a future occasion. We are currently reviewing our continental breakfast offering particularly in regard to fruit. I appreciate your feedback as it helps us when analysing what our guests would like to see.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I have just returned from my 2nd stay at this hotel which is ideal for conferences at the International Centre. As before, the accommodation was clean and tidy when I arrived and continued to be so for the duration of my short break. The only problem that occurred was the water being turned off for a short while (20 minutes) due to a 'maintenance problem' on the Saturday. I didn't find this out until I got into the walk-in shower and tried to work the taps but this was only a small inconvenience. The breakfast each day was perfectly adequate-not a full English but continental with cereals, fruit, bacon, croissants, toast etc and of course juices, tea and coffee. You could always upgrade to a fried breakfast in the Holiday Inn next door but I never felt the need to do that. Also guests could make use of their pool and gym facilities for an extra cost. My mobile phone connection was poor during my stay but this seemed to be a known thing. The staff were all friendly and helpful and this made things pleasant. I paid £70 per night from 23-26 May.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Aileen L
Lis F, Guest Relations Manager at International Hotel Telford, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Aileen L

Many thanks for your review and for the experience you relayed to us. I am very sorry for the inconvenience caused when the water had to be switched off temporarily to fix an urgent problem. I do sympathise that this happened to you.

I am glad that you enjoyed our continental breakfast offering but you are quite right, that guests are able to purchase a voucher to enable them to walk across to the Holiday Inn next door and enjoy a full English breakfast.

Vouchers are also available to purchase to be able to use the facilities of the Holiday Inn leisure club which has just refurbished its gym with the latest up to date equipment.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for an exhibition. It looks like a great place but it's awful. Food is poor and delivered from Holiday Inn next door. The room walls are paper thin. The most annoying was the room card sleeve from the previous guests, the normal rate is £40 per night, evidently room was not cleaned properly.

From the outside and reception looks great but service is not good.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Lis F, Guest Relations Manager at International Hotel Telford, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Dean S

Thank you for taking time to post a review although I am obviously disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay.

Your comments have been passed on to all the team. Our head housekeeper will carry out remedial training with the attendant who serviced your room and left behind a room key wallet for which we are truly sorry as this gave a poor impression to you. I have sent you a private message of apology.

In the meantime thank you again for your feedback.

Kind regards, Lis Frost, Guest Relations Manager
West Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed over here with our 3yr old for two nights 19th, 20th may, and we couldn't fault it, the staff were so friendly, helpful and professional. There was a great selection of continental breakfast for us all to chose from. Our room was lovely and clean and bed very comfortable. This hotel is in a great location of telford and a great price too with free car parking and a short walk to there town centre, we will be defiantly coming back again to stay, a big thank you to all the staff there :)

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Kjp36
Dear kjp36

Thank you so much for your five star review which means a lot to all the team at the hotel.

I'm glad that you and your little one were able to have a great stay.

Our hotel is certainly well located for exploring far afield but also, as you pointed out, we're just a brief walk across to the indoor shopping centre. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,

Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I travel the country on a regular basis and in all honesty I am not particularly fond on the west midlands, unfortunately I was in the midlands on business so was not in the best frame of minds to begin with.

After a hell of a journey (British public transport running bang on time yet again) I was greeted by the international hotels grand stature. It truly is a magnificent and professional site. The reception area is more than big enough to cater for large number groups checking in at once and the area is free of clutter unlike some places that try and bombard you with things that the hotel are affiliated with as soon as you walk through the door.

After a speedy check in process and a quick brief of the hotels facilities I jumped in the elevator and arrived in my room on the 3rd floor. The room fitted with a LCD flatscreen on suite shower and double bed with a desk for business purposes. The room was spacious clean and more than fit for purpose.

The room had a iron and ironing board with free tea or coffee available.
Phone signal in the building is poor and wifi only available in public areas which is a down side. however TV is onn in the public areas and staff are very friendly meaning sitting downstairs in a public area isn't that much of a problem.

Food is served at the holiday inn next door (or they will deliver it to your room) and is of good quality.

overall would totally recommend the international hotel as a good stay, would however like to see wifi made available in rooms as opposed to just in public areas, it is however available in the rooms via a Ethernet cable.

Room Tip: even number rooms have better phone signal
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Lis F, Guest Relations Manager at International Hotel Telford, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear trudy f

Many thanks for your kind review and I'm pleased that you have had an enjoyable stay with us recently. When our guests do a lot of travelling and stay in a lot of hotels, we are very mindful of the fact that we need to make them feel at home as far as we can, so I'm glad that we were able to help you settle in quickly.

Many thanks for your feedback on mobile phones and WiFi.

I hope that you will stay with us again on a future occasion.

Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

We were staying here overnight as we were attending and taking part in a Cancer research fund raising event in nearby Oakengates on Saturday 17th May.

Having turned in around 2.30-3 am after a very long day we were awoken at approx 4.30am by the hotel fire alarm.

We evacuated with the majority of other guests and awaited some instruction. None came.

After witnessing an armed response police BMW X5 and 2 other marked police cars turn up it became apparent that this was perhaps not a 'fire' emergency. We were not informed what was happening at any point.

After standing outside in the cold for quite some time we witnessed an arrest and cart off of a male.

Upon check out we were informed that the arrested party was not supposed to be in the hotel. The arrested party was wandering corridors of upper floors (where we were staying). The arrested party was carrying a fire extinguisher which staff suspected he may use as a weapon and so the police were called. We were informed the arrested party was viewed on CCTV setting off the fire alarm and hence standard procedure was followed and the hotel evacuated.

We were informed by reception that the arrested party was "a few eggs short of a basket"....really!?

Following our stay, our poor nights sleep, our concerns for our own security and general unpleasant experience we did contact the hotel direct. We are informed that they can "assure you that all procedures
in relation to the safety and security of guests are in place".

Strange then that no register of guests was utilised in an evacuation procedure and that guests were still leaving the building as the majority tried to re-enter following the arrest.

The breakfast was pretty poor too.

All in all, value your own safety and stay somewhere else!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Doctorfunk1977
Dear doctorfunk 1977

Thank you for your review and I do apologise for the disappointment and inconvenience you experienced. As you noted, we have communicated with you already but again I would like to assure you that our night team had the situation under control and the Police were involved when the situation arose.