“Real value for money” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Telford
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Real value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel is very competitively priced but has the benefit of the Holiday Inn next door which you can share the facilities with (including pool and gym at a small price). The rooms are clean with everything you need, good shower and bathroom, tea making facilities, good flat screen TV, hair dryer and ironing facilities. In the bathroom there is also shower soap and hand wash......everything complete. The only item missing was a toilet brush.
The breakfast is also acceptable to most with cereals, fruit (mostly tinned but the room is at a price) the bonus is bacon so you can make a bacon sandwich!! This is called a continental breakfast but better!
I really can't fault it and the choice is yours whether you use the Holiday Inn for dinner (also bar food) or go for a short walk into Telford centre.
We had a three night stay for exploring the local area so it was ideal.
I would recomend it to anyone for true value for money with full hotel facilities.

Room Tip: All appear to be of good standard
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Grahamb6468
Lis F, Guest Relations Manager at International Hotel Telford, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Grahamb6468

Thank you for taking time to post a 5 star review of your memories of your recent stay with us and I have passed on your feedback to all the team.

Thank you for all the hints and tips you have shared which I am sure will be helpful to readers planning to stay with us.

I hope you will come back again.

Lis Frost, Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I've now stayed in three different hotels in Telford for business (all the same calibre of hotels) and I can say honestly that The International is the worst you can get for your money. I'm not sure where to start... The flowers in reception were dead and were not changed during my two-night stay. The bedrooms are atexceptionally basic with no 'comforts' apart from a tv. Not even a free pen! The only toiletries in the bathroom are two re-filled bottles of handwash. Not even any shampoo! There was dried toothpaste on the shower wall from the previous guest that was not cleaned off during my entire stay. I was not given a bathroom floor-mat and had to use a towel instead. No wifi unless you want to be charged £10.50 a day (outrageous!). No swimming pool or even a nice lounge area to sit in...
Then there's 'breakfast'... The only cooked option is a tray of bacon. Otherwise, it's cereal, cold croissants straight from the packet, rolls and tinned fruit. Terrible!! Not nice for anyone, let alone a vegetarian.
I have honestly never been so disappointed with a hotel before.
The only nice thing I noticed was a smile from the receptionist. The front desk team are the only thing going for this place.
If you are on a budget I can tell you that there are at least two other hotels nearby of similar price-range where you will be staying in 5 star luxury in comparison. Do yourself a favour and shop elsewhere!

• Stayed June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank TADisplayName
Dear TADisplay Name

Thank you for your review though I am obviously sad that you were so disappointed with your stay. I have sent you a private message to ask you to contact me. I do apologise for the flowers looking tired, these were from a private function that had recently taken place, we should have removed them sooner.

Our hotel is not advertised as a full service hotel and therefore does not have a leisure club or a restaurant, and the breakfast is classed as continental. However, we are in the process of changing the tinned fruit to fresh fruit and there is also the option to upgrade to a full English breakfast at the Holiday Inn next door, where there is also a leisure club.

Wifi starts at just £2 for 2 hours.

I do apologise for the shortfalls in room cleanliness and the lack of a bath mat which should certainly not have been the case and please be assured that this has been passed on to the Head Housekeeper for investigation. There is a handwash dispenser by the handbasin, but the convenience dispenser in the shower contains a bodywash and shampoo combination.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Had a taste spectacular evening Alice in Wonderland theme. The food was out of this world, superbly created and prepared. All the staff were friendly and professional at the event and at the hotel the next day. I would recommend the hotel and conference facilities.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Kalahari66

Thank you for your review and I am so glad that you enjoyed the Alice in Wonderland experience. We do appreciate your recommendations to others and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Devizes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

We found this a very comfortable hotel and the staff very friendly and help full even booking a table in the Olive Tree Restaurant in the Holiday Express next door, food is amazing. An ideal location for walking and access to local attractions. Car parking can be a bit of a nightmare if a show is on in Expo centre.

Room Tip: "Lower floor rooms easy access"
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lis F, Guest Relations Manager at International Hotel Telford, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Trevor K

Many thanks for your lovely review and I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed on your compliments to my colleagues who work at the Holiday Inn Telford which is right next door to us.

As you discovered, our hotel is ideally centrally located for exploring lots of interesting places in this beautiful county of Shropshire and so I hope you will come back and stay with us again, and explore even more!

I'm sorry you had difficulty in parking, that is not the norm, we share a large carpark with the Holiday Inn and please be aware that there is a large, lower section at the far side of the carpark which can be used if the top car park is busy.

Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night to break a long journey. Have stayed before so knew what to expect. A standard stay at a large nameless hotel. Room was pretty clean (not spotless, a little dusty and think it might be time for a new shower head!), bed comfy enough etc. I always find it weird that big hotels dont have ceiling lights in the main part of the room. Was woken up at 6 am by banging doors which was a bit annoying. Breakfast was fine. I just had cereal and toast which I was more than happy with. I did stay in a holiday inn the following night (not the one next door) and found that to be slightly better mostly because they had fresh fruit, newspapers and herbal teas at breakfast. All in all I would stay again if the occasion required it

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Lis F, Guest Relations Manager at International Hotel Telford, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear AS45221

Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you had an ok stay with us.

I do hope you will come and stay with us on a future occasion. We are currently reviewing our continental breakfast offering particularly in regard to fruit. I appreciate your feedback as it helps us when analysing what our guests would like to see.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I have just returned from my 2nd stay at this hotel which is ideal for conferences at the International Centre. As before, the accommodation was clean and tidy when I arrived and continued to be so for the duration of my short break. The only problem that occurred was the water being turned off for a short while (20 minutes) due to a 'maintenance problem' on the Saturday. I didn't find this out until I got into the walk-in shower and tried to work the taps but this was only a small inconvenience. The breakfast each day was perfectly adequate-not a full English but continental with cereals, fruit, bacon, croissants, toast etc and of course juices, tea and coffee. You could always upgrade to a fried breakfast in the Holiday Inn next door but I never felt the need to do that. Also guests could make use of their pool and gym facilities for an extra cost. My mobile phone connection was poor during my stay but this seemed to be a known thing. The staff were all friendly and helpful and this made things pleasant. I paid £70 per night from 23-26 May.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Aileen L
Lis F, Guest Relations Manager at International Hotel Telford, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Aileen L

Many thanks for your review and for the experience you relayed to us. I am very sorry for the inconvenience caused when the water had to be switched off temporarily to fix an urgent problem. I do sympathise that this happened to you.

I am glad that you enjoyed our continental breakfast offering but you are quite right, that guests are able to purchase a voucher to enable them to walk across to the Holiday Inn next door and enjoy a full English breakfast.

Vouchers are also available to purchase to be able to use the facilities of the Holiday Inn leisure club which has just refurbished its gym with the latest up to date equipment.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for an exhibition. It looks like a great place but it's awful. Food is poor and delivered from Holiday Inn next door. The room walls are paper thin. The most annoying was the room card sleeve from the previous guests, the normal rate is £40 per night, evidently room was not cleaned properly.

From the outside and reception looks great but service is not good.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Lis F, Guest Relations Manager at International Hotel Telford, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Dean S

Thank you for taking time to post a review although I am obviously disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay.

Your comments have been passed on to all the team. Our head housekeeper will carry out remedial training with the attendant who serviced your room and left behind a room key wallet for which we are truly sorry as this gave a poor impression to you. I have sent you a private message of apology.

In the meantime thank you again for your feedback.

Kind regards, Lis Frost, Guest Relations Manager