“This hidden gem”

Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Telford
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“This hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

this hidden gem lies between the Telford international centre and the holiday inn from the moment of arrival I found the shared car park (free) both Convienient and secure I was greeted by a fresh faced young man who was extreamley efficient in booking me in and directed me to a clean capacious room with all facilities my usual inspection of the nooks of the WC was made and unlike other establishments this one was exeptionaly clean the hotel does not serve food in the evening but there was hot meals being served next door at the holiday inn. a well stocked buffet breakfast was available in the morning which I enjoyed and was particularly seduced by the bacon rolls all in all a very good experience top class facilities at a budget price look on the comparison sites for pleanty of deals.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Lis F, Guest Relations Manager at International Hotel Telford, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear kenney g

Many thanks for your kind review after you recently stayed with us. I have shared it with all the team at the hotel. Your feedback is really appreciated and I'm glad you enjoyed breakfast and dining at the Holiday Inn restaurant next door.

Lis Frost, Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

good price , very clean and the staff were professional and helpful, got a deal for 2 nights incl breakfast, very pleased . holiday inn is next door and you are allowed to use their swimming pool at a small charge , will use again

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Lis F, Guest Relations Manager at International Hotel Telford, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear gary wynn williams w

Thank you for your brilliant review of your recent stay and I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us.

I'm also pleased that you were able to take advantage of the voucher enabling you to use the swimming pool at the neighbouring Holiday Inn for a small fee.

I hope to see you again soon.

Chirk Bank, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Great breakfast was rather hesitant as it was described as continental. Spoilt for choice and bacon baps as well . Bit disappointed in evening as they don't serve food in evening and direct you to holiday inn next door, where you will get highly o er priced very poor pub grub. Will go back but will go into town for evenings .

• Stayed May 2014
Dear qhnnn

Thank you for your five star review and your kind feedback about our staff and breakfast offering. I have contacted you privately regarding the bar food as this is most unusual. We are not a full service hotel, but our guests do benefit from being able to dine at the neighbouring Holiday Inn.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards, Lis Frost, Guest Relations Manager
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed one night while I rowed at the local regatta. Very good value, nice comfortable beds (although at 6'3" I could have done with a longer bed) and a big room. The showers will send water into the bathroom floor, which is a bit annoying, but its not my house so I just let it dry out. Staff were all very helpful and breakfast was better than the Continental I was expecting. Would be happy to use this hotel again next year.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem very quiet, so no problems.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Lis F, Guest Relations Manager at International Hotel Telford, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Brian8008

Thank you for taking the time to post a review after your recent visit to us and I'm glad you had a comfortable stay.

I'm glad you enjoyed the breakfast, we are making some improvements and additions in this area so its great to receive positive feedback from our guests.

I do hope you were successful in the Regatta and look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Lis Frost
Guest Relations Manager
Worthing, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

I stayed here because I had to attend a conference at the International Centre next door, The room was OK and clean with, a comfortable bed, I thought the fact that I had a garden chair at the desk was a bit shabby, the shower in the bathroom was designed so that it was inevitable that water went onto the bathroom floor and generally the fixtures and fittings were pretty average, for what I was paying, I didn't expect a marble-lined bathroom but no real thought had gone into the design and even within the obvious budget someone who had a little flair and imagination not to mention sense could have made a far better job of it, that said it was clean and served its purpose. I would stay here again but only if I needed to go to the Conference Centre. The breakfast fare was disappointing and the coffee was atrocious, I learned that all the food came from the Holiday Inn next door. I was unable to dine on arrival as the kitchen had closed (10.00pm) and went to the Holiday Inn as there was nothing nearby within walking distance, the food was adequate,but clearly pre-packaged not cooked on the premises. I had no complaints about the staff who were all quite pleasant and attentive but as with the usual British flair defeat had been snatched from the jaws of victory by the fact that it was so obviously a case of "that'll do" rather than any attempt at anything approaching excellent. If you're planning a romantic weekend in ,Telford (as if!) I would look elsewhere, in fact if you were planning to visit Telford for any reason other than business I'd also look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Booking through one of the hotel reservation sites is cheaper than the Hotel's own standard rate...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Peter S
Lis F, Guest Relations Manager at International Hotel Telford, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Peter S

Thank you for taking time to write a review after your recent stay with us.

All our bedrooms are being refurbished as part of a rolling programme and part of that will include replacement of the desk chairs, by the end of October. I am pleased that you had a good night's sleep and found the bathroom and wet-room to be clean.

We are looking to upgrade our breakfast to include a selection of fresh fruits and we will of course look at the quality of our coffee, although we do use a well known brand of coffee already.

The Olive Tree Restaurant at the Holiday Inn next door to us is open every night until 10pm and bar food is also served until 11.00pm. All food is freshly prepared on site and no items are pre-packaged.

Telford centre is partway through regeneration with a £250m redevelopment of the Southwater area including a new cinema, refurbished ice rink and a convention quarter which will improve the nightlife in the area. The hotel is ideally located for business guests, but is so well placed for getting to the beautiful Ironbridge Gorge and other tourist attractions in Shropshire and Wales.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel is very competitively priced but has the benefit of the Holiday Inn next door which you can share the facilities with (including pool and gym at a small price). The rooms are clean with everything you need, good shower and bathroom, tea making facilities, good flat screen TV, hair dryer and ironing facilities. In the bathroom there is also shower soap and hand wash......everything complete. The only item missing was a toilet brush.
The breakfast is also acceptable to most with cereals, fruit (mostly tinned but the room is at a price) the bonus is bacon so you can make a bacon sandwich!! This is called a continental breakfast but better!
I really can't fault it and the choice is yours whether you use the Holiday Inn for dinner (also bar food) or go for a short walk into Telford centre.
We had a three night stay for exploring the local area so it was ideal.
I would recomend it to anyone for true value for money with full hotel facilities.

Room Tip: All appear to be of good standard
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Grahamb6468
Lis F, Guest Relations Manager at International Hotel Telford, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Grahamb6468

Thank you for taking time to post a 5 star review of your memories of your recent stay with us and I have passed on your feedback to all the team.

Thank you for all the hints and tips you have shared which I am sure will be helpful to readers planning to stay with us.

I hope you will come back again.

Kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I've now stayed in three different hotels in Telford for business (all the same calibre of hotels) and I can say honestly that The International is the worst you can get for your money. I'm not sure where to start... The flowers in reception were dead and were not changed during my two-night stay. The bedrooms are atexceptionally basic with no 'comforts' apart from a tv. Not even a free pen! The only toiletries in the bathroom are two re-filled bottles of handwash. Not even any shampoo! There was dried toothpaste on the shower wall from the previous guest that was not cleaned off during my entire stay. I was not given a bathroom floor-mat and had to use a towel instead. No wifi unless you want to be charged £10.50 a day (outrageous!). No swimming pool or even a nice lounge area to sit in...
Then there's 'breakfast'... The only cooked option is a tray of bacon. Otherwise, it's cereal, cold croissants straight from the packet, rolls and tinned fruit. Terrible!! Not nice for anyone, let alone a vegetarian.
I have honestly never been so disappointed with a hotel before.
The only nice thing I noticed was a smile from the receptionist. The front desk team are the only thing going for this place.
If you are on a budget I can tell you that there are at least two other hotels nearby of similar price-range where you will be staying in 5 star luxury in comparison. Do yourself a favour and shop elsewhere!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank TADisplayName
Dear TADisplay Name

Thank you for your review though I am obviously sad that you were so disappointed with your stay. I have sent you a private message to ask you to contact me. I do apologise for the flowers looking tired, these were from a private function that had recently taken place, we should have removed them sooner.

Our hotel is not advertised as a full service hotel and therefore does not have a leisure club or a restaurant, and the breakfast is classed as continental. However, we are in the process of changing the tinned fruit to fresh fruit and there is also the option to upgrade to a full English breakfast at the Holiday Inn next door, where there is also a leisure club.

Wifi starts at just £2 for 2 hours.

I do apologise for the shortfalls in room cleanliness and the lack of a bath mat which should certainly not have been the case and please be assured that this has been passed on to the Head Housekeeper for investigation. There is a handwash dispenser by the handbasin, but the convenience dispenser in the shower contains a bodywash and shampoo combination.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,