“Great location for our February mini-holiday”
Review of Shakespeare Inn

Shakespeare Inn
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Telford
Derby, United Kingdom
“Great location for our February mini-holiday”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

A great location for visiting the Ironbridge Gorge - perfect for parking up, leaving the car and touring the sights on foot. The round trip walk up to Ironbridge via Jackfield was just the right distance for us. On returning for dinner, the generous portions in the restaurant were just what we needed, tho as others have mentioned, possibly too generous! The room was fine, including sitting area with table and two chairs - something often missing in budget-priced rooms. Access to the rooms is a little steep so some might find it challenging. After such a big dinner a Continental breakfast and coffee was all we needed to fire us up for another day - the Inn is ideally placed with a footpath right outside leading up to the Blists Hill Village.
There is certainly nothing missing that I'd expect at this price point.
A great location and I'll probably be looking no further when I return to Ironbridge to enjoy my the museum annual pass I bought on this trip.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Cleobury Mortimer, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stumbled upon this lovely pub, stopped to have lunch. Not very busy but not a problem. Very happy to see the sign on the door saying no dogs allowed, I do not like to see dogs in a pub that is serving food. 5 Mins later one of the locals (Nigel) brings in his dog and that is acceptable. Needless to say we didnt stay to have lunch.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jannick10
oop north
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I have given this a very good, as a place to stay, because I can't fault the way it's run. I just couldn't go all the way in praise because of a few simple truths. This IS a pub - and as such you need to have certain realistic expectations as a sleeping guest. My own experience - as someone who enjoys a busy day out and a peaceful sleep - was that an early night (before midnight) might not be possible as there is bar noise from below. How loud depends on how busy. We were also woken early by a beer delivery outside our window - imagine some one repeatedly stumbling and falling over in a cymbals shop for 10 minutes. It's an effective alarm. I also found the mattress to be a bit lumpy - could feel the springs. Overall I would say the place was reasonable value. The breakfasts were good. Evening pub meals are good and generous.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 1 November 2013

The room was very pleasant, although getting to it in the rain was not. (Steep stairs located outside.) The innkeeper did help us with the bags but may have been a little rough with them. (Our iPad screen got cracked - fortunately we're insured.) We arrived about 30 minutes before the kitchen closed but were still able to order food. For starters I had a Thai fish cake and my husband had calamari. Both were very good. Then we got brave and tried the chicken fajitas. (We're from Texas - we know fajitas!) These were surprisingly good. I'd say they'd have it completely bang on if they'd get the chef to cut the chicken and peppers into strips instead of chunks. Other than that, it was authentic Tex-Mex, right down to the sizzle. (Although the salsa was a bit suspect - seemed a bit like ketchup or tomato sauce with some peppers and onions tossed in - but perhaps it's been adapted to local tastes.)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BarbaraE3
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

Have visited the Shakespeare loads & it never fails to deliver - menu is lovely, always spoilt for choice. Food is always amazing, tasty & fresh -huuuuuge portions too!! It's definitely my favourite place to go for an evening meal - only (very tiny!!) criticism is that the main pub can get very noisy when it's busy, purely because it's fairly small & cosy atmosphere - can always request a conservatory table for a quieter meal! Overall, go & see for yourselves - it's one not to be missed!!

Stayed October 2013
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Popped in for lunch. Served till 3.30pm on a Saturday. The choice is vast. Everything sounded tasty on the menu. We struggled on what to choose. We wanted everything! But we made our decisions and we really were not disappointed. The portion size was right up our street - massive! Tasted delicious too. We ate every last bit, although we have not been able to have dinner tonight as we are still full! I overheard the waitress say they were fully booked for that night. Doesn't surprise me if they serve lunches like we got. The service was good too and they were pleasant people. Would def recommend this place and can't wait to go back again for a good feed.

• Stayed October 2013
Picton, Australia
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I was somewhat surprised to find the Shakespeare was in a rural location given the closeness to Telford. The other surprise was that they don't unlock the doors until 5pm so an early arrival is not recommended! However, that said, this is a great pub on the doorstep of the historic attractions of Ironbridge/ Coalbrookdale - you couldn't find a better spot. The staff were friendly and room 1 (there are only 4 rooms) was clean, a good size, and perfect for my needs (although I imagine it could be noisy at weekends). The food in the bar was of a good standard and the pub was well patronised, even though it was mid week. The tariff for B&B was a bargain. Definitely would stay again!

Room Tip: Room 1 may be the quietest and room 4 the noisiest as the latter is directly over the bar