“Overpriced”

London
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Overpriced”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I ordered a light bite (for £10, as an 18 year of student I cannot afford to spend £16 on a meal) and the plate itself was the size of my hand, so you can guess the size of the meal.

Came home and immediately ate something else.

I basically paid £10 to be hungry.

Not impressed.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank madden79

“Stunning Food”
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I went for a meal at The Fox last night. Situated in the tiny hamlet of Chetwynd Aston near Newport Shropshire, it has an inviting atmosphere combined with spacious dining facilities. You can eat in the bar, lounge, dining room or, on a sunny summers evening you can also eat alfresco in the garden. On winters nights, both the lounge and the bar have real log fires that add a certain cosiness and intimacy to the experience.
It is not cheap by any means but caters for fine dining at reasonable prices. It is a very popular place to eat, so it might be a good idea to book a table if you want to eat after 8pm. You can take a chance on just walking in at any time, as they serve food all day, but the tables fill on a first come first served basis so the earlier you are then the better chance you have. Now to the food. Last night we both opted for the slow braised shoulder of Lamb. When it arrived it was huge. It was sat on a bed of carrot and swede mash served with dauphinoise potatoes, spring green cabbage and sugar snap peas with a rich gravy. The lamb was to die for and melted in the mouth. The carrot and swede mash was smooth and creamy and the cabbage and peas were just the right side of al-dente. The gravy was rich and sumptuous. To be fair, I really didn't want the meal to end it was that scrumptious. We eat at The Fox reasonably often and we haven't had a bad meal yet. The food is always lovely.
The staff are always cheerful and attentive and the bar serves a good selection of real ales and fine wines.
Last night's meal of just a main course and one drink each came to just under £40. As I said, not cheap, but if you want a treat and eat some stunning food then The Fox is well worth a visit.

John Eaton

Telford, United Kingdom
“The Fox Nr Newport”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have moved a bit away recently but still go back as did today. It is just wonderful with great staff, great food and drinks. At certain times of year they do suet main courses and before we all leave our visit I hope we all get to try a suet pudding with rabbit and crayfish. When I come off junction 3 M54 even for no food, I just go in, sit down and read a paper, in peace and quiet, although the place is often packed (no music). If you go you will also find the best beer garden ever. Please go if you can. Max Bennett.

• Visited August 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Soggy meal reminded me of school dinners - but WORSE!”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I dined here with 2 friends, and went for the lamb rump - I love lamb and you can't go wrong with rump! Oh dear, overcooked dried out lamb, blobby gelatinous gravy, carrots still had there tops on and turned to mush in my mouth, the broccoli was so overcooked it was a shame it was grown to be turned into this disaster. The asparagus was slightly underdone which I prefer to the soggy stuff, but the hollandaise was far too acidic and the potato cake horrid, lumpy dry mash! I told the waitress who seemed surprised, we were in a rush and I was hungry so don't have time to wait for another to be cooked. She said she would tell the chef, but we never saw her or anything of the chef again! Still it only set me back £17.
My friend had Ham egg and chips - surely they couldn't get this wrong? Eggs were undercooked, Ham pre cooked sliced stuff and 12 chips! But again only £10.95.
Once course meal for three with a few drinks £70 - Not worth £7!
I wish someone would open a good pub / restaurant / dining place in Shropshire as there would be somewhere good to eat, and they would make a fortune!
Give it a miss - unless you enjoyed school dinners....

• Visited July 2014
4 Thank Nolongerreviewing
Shropshire, United Kingdom
“I wish I had read Tripadvisor before visiting again! Gone really down hill....”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Haven't visited the fox for a long time & decided to today! Didn't realise how downhill it has gone. Always knew expensive, but usually nice food, but I'm afraid this will be our last visit. Starter nice, but £14.95 for a platter of cold meat & bread OTT. I know this was for two, but still a little more than a normal pub food & this is all it is!
My hubby went for the steak, chips hot, but I'm afraid the rest stone cold....even the butter on top of steak was unmelted! & the pepper sauce was also cold to top it off!
Didn't see a member of staff again, so we just shared my main which was nice. When the member of staff came to take the plates away it was clear the steak hadn't been touched, but on autopilot...'everything ok with your meals' errrrmmmm NO! The place was not even busy, so not overrun!
Such a shame as very close to us & nice interior / atmosphere.
Maybe if reviews pick up we may try one more time a long time in the future.
I think the management have to have a good look at the business & just because it was good previously don't take this for granted! It now needs massive improvement.

Visited July 2014